The Cord-Cutter’s Guide To Watching Super Bowl 50

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's a few suggestions for all you cord-cutters out there that want to watch Super Bowl 50.

Watching the Super Bowl without an expensive cable package has never been impossible, but it’s easier than ever this year. That’s because CBS is streaming Super Bowl 50 to connected-TV devices, a first for the NFL’s biggest throwdown. (In previous years, users had to rely on workarounds while streaming the game from phones, tablets, or PCs.)

I got an email for Roku saying how to stream it.

Not that I'll be watching it - I just love the 'panic' everyone is in over how to watch it when it's totally a non-issue.

I tried to stream it last year. The buffing all the time made the game unwatchable and it would always go to super low quality feed because of lack of bandwidth on their side.

So...still no streaming to a PC? Lame.

The problem with that is if it can be watched on a PC, it can be captured and re-broadcast without too much trouble. Going to be a while before they allow that.

Well, then you have crap like this happening here in Las Vegas.
Wow, guess when you got the leverage use it right? AMC did this some time back with The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad I believe, I remember continuously seeing tickers at the bottom "you are about to lose AMC contact your cable provider" "AMC is trying to get fees to raise, we will fight it" etc etc...

As to the actual subject, plan B, don't be a social misfit, go to someone's house to watch the Super Bowl, or a bar, or hell a department store!

Exactly - A $20 antenna is all it takes.

Depends on where you live.
Even though I live in heavily populated area of Southern California, I have no OTA reception.
Even if I installed a 20' tower for the antenna, I still wouldn't receive anything do to a large hill that blocks reception.

So...still no streaming to a PC? Lame.

Isn't there a web site for this? If one is on Windows 10 (not sure about Windows 8.x) there is a CBS Sports app and official NFL app that are available for streaming the game.

Well, then you have crap like this happening here in Las Vegas.

It never made any sense to me that cable providers have to pay a fee to local affiliates to carry them.

They broadcast their content free of charge, for crying out loud. If anything, the cable providers are doing them a favor, making sure their free ad supported content (and ads) reach a greater audience than it otherwise would have.

IMHO, if I - as a customer - had a choice, I'd tell my cable provider to cancel all local channels, give me a discount and I'd just get them with an OTA antenna.

What a stupid comment...I've been gaming and techy since I tore apart my first Tandy 1000. NA at work, work on cars, hike/hunt/fish, snowboard and a movie buff. AS WELL as football! Stop stuffing people into a silo, freaking categorizations are killing us.

Step #1 Be a nerd
Step #2 Don't watch sports
Step #3 Profit

But what if you're a nerd who watches sportsball?

Then the answer is build your own HTPC!

Now if only I could get NBC on my crappy USB tuner, I'd be in football nirvana. But I get 90% of the games on CBS + FOX, so I guess I'll live :D

If there's a must-watch game on NBC...I SUPPOSE I can hook the antenna to my TV's more sensitive tuner, and slog through the commercials. SO HARD!

Don't, and instead get a life outside of watching one of the worst sports on television and ludicrous displays of money on ads that are outrageous just for the sake of trying to be the most outrageous.

I'll be watching it with an eye on my free money as the Broncos trample the Panthers into the turf.

But what if you're a nerd who watches sportsball?
Then you pay, up the nose.
Then the answer is build your own HTPC!

Step #1 Buy a HVR 1250 capture card. It's $15 off Ebay.
Step #2 Plug in antenna
Step #3 Install TVheadend on a linux machine

Or! Play Undertale for $10.

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
latest

Standard definition shouldn't be a thing anymore. HDTVs are so cheap and available there is no excuse not to have one.

Standard definition shouldn't be a thing anymore. HDTVs are so cheap and available there is no excuse not to have one.

Yeah, Target has a few 32" models on sale for $150 now.

Sure they are 720p, and maybe not the best brands, but still worth throwing out that old 28" tube TV over :p

I tried to stream it last year. The buffing all the time made the game unwatchable and it would always go to super low quality feed because of lack of bandwidth on their side.

We had no problem streaming it last year, the buffering was minor for us.

Back