Google Says 'No More Deceptive Download Buttons'

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's about time something was done about this. Can't a guy just watch some por...online videos...without getting those fake "media player update required" notifications?

In November, we announced that Safe Browsing would protect you from social engineering attacks - deceptive tactics that try to trick you into doing something dangerous, like installing unwanted software or revealing your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, or credit cards). You may have encountered social engineering in a deceptive download button, or an image ad that falsely claims your system is out of date. Today, we’re expanding Safe Browsing protection to protect you from such deceptive embedded content, like social engineering ads.

So places like Cnet (downloads.com) will be blocked because the "obvious" link to download ends up giving you a download tool to install that does the actual downloading?

This is outstanding. I have no problem with them blocking or warning users away from all those apps that try to install their own toolbars and such. Like adobe reader, Java, etc.

Good, these trick unsuspecting people into downloading spyware. I've had to install adblockers to prevent less tech savvy relatives from clicking on these.

About damn time. unfortunately this will only help until they find other ways around it. End user education that's the real issue and the fact that not everyone is using Chrome. Hopefully other browsers will do the same.

Got a call from someone the other day who got a popup in Chrome that said she had a BSOD and needed to call the support number. She was actually going to do it but decided to call instead. People just aren't very cautious online.

Don't forget about sourceforge.
Gotta say as I get older and my vision gets worse (and yes I wear glasses) finding that tiny font "direct download" link is not always easy especially with a big honking "DOWNLOAD" button catching my gaze.

So places like Cnet (downloads.com) will be blocked because the "obvious" link to download ends up giving you a download tool to install that does the actual downloading?

I haven't downloaded anything from them in 5 years. Forgot all about them. But yeah, you get blasted with all those download buttons to dig through. As soon as I see that once now I avoid that site for getting anything.

About damn time. unfortunately this will only help until they find other ways around it. End user education that's the real issue and the fact that not everyone is using Chrome. Hopefully other browsers will do the same.

Got a call from someone the other day who got a popup in Chrome that said she had a BSOD and needed to call the support number. She was actually going to do it but decided to call instead. People just aren't very cautious online.

About damn time, and end user edumacation, you said it all.

I'd agree it's needed.
But it is strange coming from Google, as they have been known to make use of such ads themselves to push Chrome distribution.

I see they are going to ban Softpedia and CNet Download then. About time.

Um yeah, the place I encounter those ads most is Google ads on YouTube. Are you going to fix those too Google?

Good, these trick unsuspecting people into downloading spyware. I've had to install adblockers to prevent less tech savvy relatives from clicking on these.

They can be pretty tricky. My daughter used to be big into minecraft and I hate all the sites that host mods. There was one called adf.ly or something like that. Most annoying site in the world. I even downloaded crap one time due to their deceptive ads.

It's about time. My scripts block most of that crap, but it shouldn't be there to begin with. Poor people go to download things and the actual link to the file they are trying to download is the one that is the hardest to find on the damn page. lmfao

Back