MIT Has Developed Hack-Proof RFID Chips

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although I have the utmost confidence in MIT, calling something "hack-proof" could come back to bite them in the ass later.

Researchers at MIT and Texas Instruments have developed a new type of radio frequency identification (RFID) chip that is virtually impossible to hack. If such chips were widely adopted, it could mean that an identity thief couldn’t steal your credit card number or key card information by sitting next to you at a café, and high-tech burglars couldn’t swipe expensive goods from a warehouse and replace them with dummy tags.

Its like they want people to embarrass them.

Steve, I thought the exact same thing when I read "hack-proof" :D

virtually impossible to hack

That isn't same as saying it's hack-proof but to say that it would be extremely difficult.

That isn't same as saying it's hack-proof but to say that it would be extremely difficult.

To me "hack-proof" means that even if you manage to do it once..it doesn't mean you can do it easier the second time.

Great something more to help sell a false sense of security and push accountability onto someone else.

Hack proof just means no one has figured out how to hack it yet. The best you can hope for is hack resistant. :)

Vegas should take bets on how long until these are hacked. I have 20$ on less than a month from when they become avalible for comercial use.

Claiming something to be "hack-proof" means that eventually someone will provide "hack 'proof'" (as in proof of hack).

First inventor - "I have made it idiot proof."

Second inventor - "I made a better idiot"

tomorrow's headline "MIT RFIDs hacked by 12 year old with ipad"

They should really say: Hack proof as far as we know up to this point.

Back