20 Of The Worst PC Setups

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's time once again for Think Computer's monthly Worst PC Setups feature. I chose this system because, for the life of me, I can't tell what is going on in this picture. :eek:

These are always so stupid because they always fall into one of these three categories:

1. Messy setups that could be fixed for $0.
2. Setups that are laid out badly.
3. Obviously fake setups.

I've got not sympathy for people who aren't interested in exerting any effort, get it to together you lazy jerks.

UgLnTq4-600x450.jpg

My God. At least put a cardboard box OVER it to keep off the dust and whatnot.

I should submit my kids set ups. Damn kids need to clean their rooms.

I'm impressed by the ingenuity of some of the setups. It's one thing to be in a situation (financial or other) that prevents you from being able to have a legitimate desk. The TV stand made of 2 old towers was a good one.

The messy ones are just people being lazy. I always cringe when I see those.

The funniest one in this lot has to go to the guy using an end table for a laptop and second monitor, but is using a Fisher Price children's plastic slide to sit on. You know that if they have something like that sitting around, they can afford a chair somewhere in that house.

haha.jpg

Buy a $1500 computer, can't buy a $5 chair from Goodwill..... :D

Every time I see these I cringe at people calling these battle stations. fuck everyone who uses that term. Sounds like some damn person that needs to get out of their parent's basement and grow the fuck up.

I'm impressed by the ingenuity of some of the setups. It's one thing to be in a situation (financial or other) that prevents you from being able to have a legitimate desk. The TV stand made of 2 old towers was a good one.

The funniest one in this lot has to go to the guy using an end table for a laptop and second monitor, but is using a Fisher Price children's plastic slide to sit on. You know that if they have something like that sitting around, they can afford a chair somewhere in that house.

Not only that, but that dude has an Astro MixAmp + (possible) Astro A30 Headset. Those cost $160-$200 MSRP as a set. For less than $40 on Amazon, he could get a "church chair" that is fairly comfortable and can support up to 500+ pounds of weight ...

Every time I see these I cringe at people calling these battle stations. fuck everyone who uses that term. Sounds like some damn person that needs to get out of their parent's basement and grow the fuck up.

Yeah it does seem fairly juvenile. I assumed it was just a term that floated around on that particular site or something.

Yeah it does seem fairly juvenile. I assumed it was just a term that floated around on that particular site or something.

Reddit has a section for battlestations (combination of desk, monitor, keyboard and pc/laptop). So it is a term started by somebody that is floating around at least a couple sites.

Sometimes they are not all that fake. We geeks have a tendency to spend on toys (gadgets) and not things we use/need the most...like chairs. Especially with the present high school-college kids that gotta have the ultimate resolution monitors and then forget that they have nothing to put it on.

I'm with you on that. Reading that again and again makes me want to get on the next flight to wherever the fucker lives, and squeeze him until he forgets the word.

I've seen worse, but the chair thing blows me away.

Unless you never spend more than 5 minutes at the computer, you get a chair. A real chair. Not the floor, not a kids slide, and sure as hell not that deep padded sofa-thing in one of those pics. How the hell do you sit up and type in that without destroying your back in 2 seconds?

A basic folding chair with a pillow on it is at least a real sitting device.

No joke about goodwill, or salvation army, or better yet ANY garage sale?

For example. The pic on the front page for the article. The best thing there is the chair. At least it's a padded folding chair. :)

Man, I'm so ready for a "wireless" PC setup. I hate wires!

That guy using a slide for a chair thats some funny shit right there lol, he must be a wow player so he can go down the slide when hes bored waiting for LFR ques to pop :D

I'm pretty sure they aren't using that slide to sit on. At least, my impression was that it was used to lay on so that you're laying at an angle. Does not seem like a horrible idea to me. You lay but don't have to bend your neck 90 degrees to look at the screen.

Even my dinky old workstation at home isn't as bad as some of these setups. And, I just replaced my dinky workstation with a real desk.

Back