iPad Air 3 May Have 4K Panel And 4GB RAM

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Many are skeptical of the next iPad having such a high-resolution panel, as that would make it superior to the iPad Pro’s offering.

Apple is expected to unveil new models of its iPad Air in March 2016 and production will start in the second quarter, with General Interface Solution and TPK Holding to supply touch panels, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers. The new 9.7-inch device will reportedly come equipped with a 4K resolution panel and up to 4GB in RAM, in addition to improved battery life.

It might not be that unreasonable a jump ... with the tablet market at a plateau and sales declining they need something to inspire upgrades or new buyers ... there isn't much capability they can add to their tablets beyond higher resolution or reducing prices (and investors don't like the latter option)

They really need to update their laptops too. Just went to macrumors and the rumor is that they'll do a 13" in march and the 15" some other time. No idea why they'd do that, given that the CPU in their current 15" is 2 generations old. I might wait a month to see what they pull out, but if it's not out in March, then I'll go with my current choice: Dell's XPS or Precision 15"

A 4K panel doesn't appeal to me at that size, I think the current display is plenty good. However, I would be interested to know if this is foundation for moving iTunes and thus AppleTV over to 4K capability. Apple does have a good opportunity to get into the 4K content market.

But they can't move iTunes over to 4K, until they have a solid hardware foundation to show it off. The current iPhones and iPads do have H265 (for Facetime only), so playback wise they can do it.

Damn if the next iPad has a 4k screen then I will definitely be buying it to replace my aging iPad 2, as long as it isn't priced stupid, like $699 or more.

They really need to update their laptops too. Just went to macrumors and the rumor is that they'll do a 13" in march and the 15" some other time. No idea why they'd do that, given that the CPU in their current 15" is 2 generations old. I might wait a month to see what they pull out, but if it's not out in March, then I'll go with my current choice: Dell's XPS or Precision 15"

Broadwell has too little improvement over Haswell, and the needed Skylake CPU for notebook platform just released like a week ago.

There isn't much upgrade beside GPU on Retina Macbook Pro that is needed right now, since most spec is already at the high end league.

Specifications well beyond....what's actually necessary.

The only people I know who use iPads now are the over 60's.

[21CW]killerofall;1042114071 said:
Damn if the next iPad has a 4k screen then I will definitely be buying it to replace my aging iPad 2, as long as it isn't priced stupid, like $699 or more.

Well one can dream!

Broadwell has too little improvement over Haswell, and the needed Skylake CPU for notebook platform just released like a week ago.

There isn't much upgrade beside GPU on Retina Macbook Pro that is needed right now, since most spec is already at the high end league.

I don't follow. Skylake laptops came out in October and November. Apple is lagging, IMO

Specifications well beyond....what's actually necessary.

The only people I know who use iPads now are the over 60's.

And by the time they have caught on to an tech trend, it's well and truly on the way down..

A lot of kids use them for games, when i am at stuff for mine, i see more of them in kids hands than android or even Nintendo hardware.

[21CW]killerofall;1042114071 said:

Stupid prices from Apple? Impossibru!

I'm hoping that they refresh it soon, and a 4k panel would be nice.

My old ipad air is still plenty good, but work provides a tablet reimbursement, so I'm basically holding out for the refresh at this point.

//Really wouldn't mind having a better screen at home and to toss the old one into the gym bag

I'd be surprised if the iPad Air3 went to 4k. Is it me, or do they always disappoint with their new hardware?
The phones usually have a few nice features, but then they don't have much storage or some other nonsense.

There is really no good reason to produce a 4K screen at that size, aside from appealing to the masses who like big numbers without understanding the impact it actually has (here's a hint, you won't be able to tell the difference at that size).

Back