First Look At Galaxy S7 And Galaxy S7 Edge

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
What do you think? I still prefer the non-beveled, regular Galaxy. It also seems that Samsung can’t decide what shape they want the home button to be, as it keeps getting tweaked.

So what are we seeing? It should be obvious that the overall design language here is almost identical to last year’s S6 and S6 Edge+. The only real differences standing out to me at the moment, are potentially slightly less bezel in the new models, a bigger front facing camera, and a more rectangular home button. The color also appears to be black, rather than the deep blue we saw last year.

The thing looks like an iPhone. If I wanted something that looks like an iPhone I'd buy an iPhone.

Funny enough, I have the first photos of the Galaxy S8, S9 and S10

GlvCZ9Q.jpg

The thing looks like an iPhone. If I wanted something that looks like an iPhone I'd buy an iPhone.

If you mean that is a slab with a screen as all smart phones since the Prada then yeah.
I keep waiting for the innovation of dual screen with e ink in the back like the yota phone though.

I agree. Even the bezel accent points are the same. I think this looks more like the iPhone than the one Apple sued them about.

And I'm a Samsung user.

It also seems that Samsung can’t decide what shape they want the home button to be, as it keeps getting tweaked

They should just go ahead and make the button round, then the transformation to an iPhone look alike will be complete.

I'd be more interested in knowing if they put back the replaceable battery and the microSD slot.
That's why I went with the older Note 4 instead of the S6 or Note 5.

If you mean that is a slab with a screen as all smart phones since the Prada then yeah.
I keep waiting for the innovation of dual screen with e ink in the back like the yota phone though.

Take a look at the bottom picture and the bezel..this as mentioned actually looks more like an iPhone ripoff than the actual one they got sued for. Except the difference this time is the smallest galaxy is bigger than the smaller iphone, because apparently retarded phablets are the norm now.

It looks pretty, but the size and sealed battery are just straight out deal breakers.

Seems like we have reached the high watermark and moved on. Phones are getting worse not better. Why in the world would someone get a new phone unless theirs breaks?These companies make new models each year for no other reason than to.... well..... release a new phone. I'll just replace the battery on my phone when it wears out, because I CAN and hope that something better comes along.

I don't mind it, but I've grown to hate Samsung's actual software. I have no reason to believe this will be any better. Great hardware across the board, but you have to root it to get rid of all of the Samsung garbage.

I don't get this EDGE thing. What is the point. Anyone want to explain the benefit?

Saw an S6 Edge few months ago. The E-ink/whatevermaggiggy can give you message alerts/status etc along the side edge, without turning the main screen on. It's useful but I think the yotaphone approach is better, especially for e-ink and ultimately more functional.

Because it looks cool. Check one out in person.

I buy a phone for functionality, not the "coolness" factor. That's why I'll never own an iPhone.

Besides I think the pen on the Note series is way cooler :)

Wow looks just like the iphone.. If this is what the S7 looks like, I think I am going to jump Samsung ship.. Having tons of issues with my S5 too...

Take a look at the bottom picture and the bezel..this as mentioned actually looks more like an iPhone ripoff than the actual one they got sued for. Except the difference this time is the smallest galaxy is bigger than the smaller iphone, because apparently retarded phablets are the norm now.

It looks pretty, but the size and sealed battery are just straight out deal breakers.

I know you are saying they are copying the iPhone, but even me, who doesn't give a crap I find Samsung phones look more distinguished than the iPhone, and many other phones.
Apple wants the world to think they are the only company on the planet that care about design esthetics.. That most be pretty insulting to a company that has been making phones for decades. I know I know since the US doesn't manufacture a thing... We design the world and everybody else steals. Truth of the matter is apple comes in after decades of work in technology as well as esthetics in the cell phone arena, they just happened to come in early in the adoption of slab of glass phone design, one that was obviously thought of by lg and probably many other companies simultaneously since 'touch' is an input method that has been evolving for decades including hand held devices. Did they do a good job?.but its hard to swallow apple desings and everybody else copies cause of apple.

Well, beyond that to the domed screen (yes, first on the S3, and annoying then and on the iphone6), anodizing dye color, metal finish, placement of the antenna polymer/channels, color of the polymer chosen for such, and a few more very small things.

As much as phones are all a small thing rectangle, this one still seems nearly identical to the iphone design language. I have an iphone, and it may feel nice in the hands, the design isn't that good looking and has a number of practical drawbacks. Why copy it?

Seems like we have reached the high watermark and moved on. Phones are getting worse not better. Why in the world would someone get a new phone unless theirs breaks?These companies make new models each year for no other reason than to.... well..... release a new phone. I'll just replace the battery on my phone when it wears out, because I CAN and hope that something better comes along.

I still have my 40 dollar low-tier, secondhand android phone from years back. Just are these guys that upgrade every cycle? I want to thank them for the low-cost second hand market though: I have the hotness from 10 cycles ago for a twentieth of the price and it still works great.

And still, no stereo speakers up front.

having stereo speakers up front on my new Nexus 6P, I now realize it's unforgivable that every phone doesn't have stereo speakers up front.

I have stereo speakers up front on my HTC One M8. It wasn't until I bought a phone with them that I realized how invaluable they truly are.

HTC branded it "Beats" sound or whatever and made it about music. Those stereo speakers up front are absolutely vital and it has more to do with having a decent speaker phone than being able to blast your music or videos to the world. Of course there are little things you can do to help a speaker that's on the back or side, but having the speakers up front fixes all that so you don't have to fuck with it to begin with.

Speakers up front will definitely be something on my short list when buying a new phone.

I know you are saying they are copying the iPhone, but even me, who doesn't give a crap I find Samsung phones look more distinguished than the iPhone, and many other phones.
Apple wants the world to think they are the only company on the planet that care about design esthetics.. That most be pretty insulting to a company that has been making phones for decades. I know I know since the US doesn't manufacture a thing... We design the world and everybody else steals. Truth of the matter is apple comes in after decades of work in technology as well as esthetics in the cell phone arena, they just happened to come in early in the adoption of slab of glass phone design, one that was obviously thought of by lg and probably many other companies simultaneously since 'touch' is an input method that has been evolving for decades including hand held devices. Did they do a good job?.but its hard to swallow apple desings and everybody else copies cause of apple.

I think you have confused me with someone who cares about apple. I don't and likely never will own an iPhone. It was just surprising how this particular samsung literally looks almost identical to the newest iphone, especially after they already got sued once over it.

Back