Conservation Of USS Enterprise Continues At Smithsonian

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Those of you in Washington today can actually check this out for yourself.

Our goal is to stabilize the model and return it to its appearance from August of 1967, during the filming of the episode The Trouble with Tribbles, which marked the last known modification of the ship during the production of Star Trek. The model appeared in all 79 episodes of the original series, and was donated to the Smithsonian in 1974. It will go back on public display in the Boeing Milestones of Flight Hall this year, in time for the Museum’s 40th birthday in July and the 50th anniversary of Star Trek in September.

While you cant use models for real intense action scenes , i still think they look far better than CG and you can really feel the size of those ships when watching old Star Trek episodes.

also , the photo with the Enterprise D (ST:TNG) engineering section is insane , that thing is huge!

Good stuff!

I hope they get a Deathstar.
I'd like to see that at the same scale lol.

While you cant use models for real intense action scenes , i still think they look far better than CG and you can really feel the size of those ships when watching old Star Trek episodes.

also , the photo with the Enterprise D (ST:TNG) engineering section is insane , that thing is huge!

Meanwhile the engineering section of the reboot Enterprise looks like some combination between a brewery and a meat grinding factory.

Now they just need to add the TNG Enterprise D (maybe e) , a Borg Cube, Klingon Bird of Prey' and Romulan War birds. And yes, they all look better than CG. Too much CG nowadays because its easy and cheap. Ugh

Meanwhile the engineering section of the reboot Enterprise looks like some combination between a brewery and a meat grinding factory.

I was thinking water filtration plant, but brewery really works better.

It's just terrible, I wanted to claw out my eyes I wished to un-see that abomination so badly.

I actually got to see this in-the-flesh today. Totally awesome.Pretty big too. I've got pics if there is interest.

It's amazing how all that wood and glue survived the stresses of warp speed. They never said it on screen, but I'd imagine that it had a structural integrity field that would rival the Defiant's.

I was thinking water filtration plant, but brewery really works better.

It's just terrible, I wanted to claw out my eyes I wished to un-see that abomination so badly.

I would agree. It's the one set that looks awful. It feels like it's the one spot they didn't care. Sure the bridge looks good but, the rest of it looks terrible.

Well fuck me, I mean I know it felt like one to me, but now that I know that it is one... ugh. WTF I can't unsee it as a brewery now, how much did you really save by not having pipes and shit on a sound stage and instead just doing a brewery.

Sorry, only looked it up since you mentioned it and I was thinking the same thing. Saving money or by design it was a stupid choice. However, now knowing that ship runs on beer I don't have to suspend disbelief as everything can be considered fantasy.

Back