Rules For Shilling Video Games On YouTube

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who knew there were rules for shilling video games on YouTube? What do you guys think? Okay as long as it is clearly labeled an ad campaign or not cool with it at all?

They’re looking for influencers like yourself to play a game (or both!) and show off some of the awesome gameplay and mechanics. This would be a 45 sec to 1 minute integration at the beginning of your video demonstrating the awesome features of the games. We will pay you a flat fee of $120.00 and for every sign-up to their site you’ll receive an additional compensation! We’re looking to have the videos live as soon as possible.

No thanks, I'll stick to unbiased faithful reviews. This is why I avoid top youtubers because eventually all that company corrupts them. I think the only one I still trust is TB as far as the famous ones go.

It's been shills in the video games industry for decades, nothing new here. Web sites becoming the publisher's marketing extensions, forum post shills, YouTube shills... Etc... Advertising a baseline is probably a good idea actually.

Since they have to come right out and say they were paid for doing it I have no problem with it. I don't consider it to be a review as much as an information piece. And everything on there is normal and already known stuff so not sure why they are surprised by anything on that list.

It's been shills in the video games industry for decades, nothing new here. Web sites becoming the publisher's marketing extensions, forum post shills, YouTube shills... Etc... Advertising a baseline is probably a good idea actually.

Yep... not much of anything new.

Wow, a whole $120 bucks for a 15minute video that requires prior approval. What's that work out to after you factor in all the work that goes into the video, $20/hour?

Wow, a whole $120 bucks for a 15minute video that requires prior approval. What's that work out to after you factor in all the work that goes into the video, $20/hour?

The "influencers" are supposed to put links on their YouTube video. They get more money if viewers click on the links and "sign-up". More sign-ups means more money.

Like Yakk says. At least a video is a lot more representative than the astroturfed magazine articles of yesteryear.

I want an honest review. Otherwise, it's a paid advertisement.

This stuff breaks trust between the reviewer as well as the publisher. After that, I no longer watch their 'reviews' nor do I buy a game from that company on day 1. EA, Ubi are both that way. I refuse to pre-order their shit. I want real life reviews from honest people. That's why I support the people I do.

I'd have to see an end product, but the fact that they're saying it's a paid advertisement in the video makes me think this is OK and not what I shilling.

Only if you produce something that nobody signs up from

I feel like the people that I'd normally trust wouldn't really be swayed by the promise of a hundred and twenty big ones. Considering the information package didn't contain any details about how much "more" you can earn if people sign up through your referral link, I doubt it's significant.

That being said, Star Trek Online can be fun if you're a Star Trek fan...a lot of the missions/stories are interesting and well-done. Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Yea, agreed.

Really says a lot about a person who is willing to become a contractor for a marketing firm who does stifled cheese work for basically nothing. They spend so much time building a rep and then basically give it away. It would be obvious as it would differ vastly from their regular work.

These marketing people are insane. They're like, "here take the money we'd just spend on the morning coffee for the office and destroy yourself".

That being said, Star Trek Online can be fun if you're a Star Trek fan...a lot of the missions/stories are interesting and well-done. Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I'm a star trek fan, and when I tried it it was terrible. Even among MMOs, which tells you something as most mmos have terrible game mechanics. Well, STO had none.

I'm a star trek fan, and when I tried it it was terrible. Even among MMOs, which tells you something as most mmos have terrible game mechanics. Well, STO had none.

The game play is much smoother now, doesn't feel as clunky as it did when I first signed up. That said, after it went F2P I found myself not enjoying it as much. Still log on now and then maybe for a week or two every 6months or so.

I guess the only way around it is to not be the first sucker who goes in and pre-order and only to buy a title after several months have passed.

I personally know a few twitch streamers that get paid over $10,000 by the big publishers to stream their game at launch.

As nice as it would be to get paid for to play and review games? I wouldn't sacrifice my personal morals just for a payday. Every day my current day job pushes me a bit more towards this and I get that feeling like I need to find a more honest job.

Nothing wrong with being sponsored to play a game as long as you label the broadcast as sponsored.

Back