Duke Nukem 3D Turns 20

HardOCP News

[H] News
Duke Nukem 3D was release twenty years ago today on January 29th, 1996. I don't know about you but I spent all my time in the Red Light District, Episode 1, Level 2....and we all know why! :cool:

Dam i'm getting old, i remember playing deathmatch 1 on 1 with my buddies on good ole 56k modems man they were so fast lol. I remember filling the entire strip club with pipe bombs and hiding in a vent then telling my buddy to come to the strip club and right when he entered BOOOOOOOOOM lol good times.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass..."

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

"... and I'm all out of bubblegum."

I remember my buddy going to the strip club and he couldn't figure out why there was no ladies but you could still hand out money to nothing and say "Shake it baby."

I told him it was probably on parental mode.. lol

This was the first networked game I ever saw. A friend of a friend brought over 2 Pentium 100mhz pcs in the trunk of his car and setup a lan connection between them so a group of people could play 1 v 1. It was truly amazing at the time.

don't have time to play with myself

maxresdefault.jpg

LA Rumble + jetpacks + tripwires + lan play = fun for days.

I don't recall if it was this or Doom I first got networked at work - my first network game. A friend and I used to play at work for maybe an hour every night. Haha! We had a blast! Then came along Shadow Warrior, Quake, and Blood. Redneck Rampage was a "hoot" as well!

I bought this game new when it was released.(still have the cd)

Loved this game, played it for hours.

Even had dial-up games with my friends down the street.

Anyone remember the RTS files you could use for multiplayer?

Good times :)

Oh, and I must have downloaded a hundred maps for this game. Several were pretty cool.

This was my favorite N64 game of all time. Me and my cousins would coop this game multiple times and 2v2s were hilarious.

Currently having a blast with the Megaton edition. The speed, the action, all the secrets... I love it.

Still one of the greatest games of all time, and a must-have for any true PC gamer.

Hopefully, Gearbox will revisit Duke and give us a worthy sequel to the game. Duke deserves it.

Duke did not deserve what happened in Duke Nukem Forever just like Indiana Jones did not deserve what they did in the last movie. I hope they bring back a worthy sequel or at least do a full remastering of all the Duke Nukem games.

A recent game I actually think nailed the pace and feel of old school shooters like Duke was Serious Sam 3. If they make a new Duke, SS3 should be used as a benchmark.

A recent game I actually think nailed the pace and feel of old school shooters like Duke was Serious Sam 3. If they make a new Duke, SS3 should be used as a benchmark.

Serious Sam was a great game. Just wave after wave of bad guys and a main character with some attitude. It was cool.

Guys, you should try the latest Shadow Warrior game. It's AMAZING

Anyone remember KALI? And then there was the hack program that froze your computer's clock so you could get that "endless trial" mode.

The shrinking gun was the most sinister multiplayer game weapon to ever be made. Fuck that gun was demoralizing.

I loved putting the trip mines behind hidden Windows and stuff. And then hearing them go off in the distance.

I feel old now. :(

I had turned 30 about the time Duke was released. Doom, Duke and Quake were my intros to computer gaming (oh the joy of running GLQuake.exe the first time). Sadly, I don't think I ever finished Duke.

Best part of Duke 3D multiplayer was you could make him trash-talk at will over your friend's speakers using ctrl-number keys or some such. He had a bunch of good quotes.

First game that I remember playing that had "mouse look". What an amazing idea to use the mouse to look around!

Back