Large Hadron Collider Crew Has To Pull 9K Old Cables

HardOCP News

[H] News
Old cables, schmold cables! Who cares about 9,000 old cables? Just do what everyone else does and only replace them once they have failed or caught on fire. ;)

Even particle physics researchers have messes to clean up now and then. CERN has revealed to Motherboard that it's pulling 9,000 obsolete cables in three of the Large Hadron Collider's injectors in order to make way for newer cabling. That's a lot of work by itself (many of the cables are dozens of feet long), but it's made all the more daunting by the consequences of yanking the wrong line.

Well those idiots should have removed the "old" cables they replaced prior instead of waiting until now when they don't have the room to replace the cables they already replaced.

Well those idiots should have removed the "old" cables they replaced prior instead of waiting until now when they don't have the room to replace the cables they already replaced.
It's not that simple. The problem isn't just cabling installed or disconnected recently. In the source article on Motherboard, some of the obsolete cables that are being pulled go as far back as the 1950s. Making things worse is that not all of the documentation on the cabling is presumed correct. They're making a realistic plan to verify and remove obsolete cables over a 4 year period.

And lol @ calling them "idiots".

I did read the source. The problem is when they replaced cables in the past they just left the old cables in place instead of removing them. Now they don't have anymore room for upgrades so they're forced to clean up their mess that THEY made. Idiots. Yes.

No, it just sounds like you read one of the quotes in the linked Engadget article and not the source linked back to Motherboard.

The problem is that in 2019 when they want to install upgrades, there won't be space for it until obsolete cabling, some from as far back as the 1950s, is removed. The problem isn't that "THEY" made a mess (insofar as the current workers did it, or that prior workers from decades ago would foresee this problem), but the ongoing cycle of upgrades made over decades has started to become a problem. You're looking that the problem as an IT grunt would playing with CAT-6 cabling would, not what the problem actually is.

I laughed before because even the dullest of people you so casually call "idiots" are undoubtedly smarter than you.

No, it just sounds like you read one of the quotes in the linked Engadget article and not the source linked back to Motherboard.

The problem is that in 2019 when they want to install upgrades, there won't be space for it until obsolete cabling, some from as far back as the 1950s, is removed. The problem isn't that "THEY" made a mess (insofar as the current workers did it, or that prior workers from decades ago would foresee this problem), but the ongoing cycle of upgrades made over decades has started to become a problem. You're looking that the problem as an IT grunt would playing with CAT-6 cabling would, not what the problem actually is.

I laughed before because even the dullest of people you so casually call "idiots" are undoubtedly smarter than you.

I clicked the link to the Motherboard link. Didn't even read the Engadget link.

It says, right here. "Over the years, Evrard said CERN had a “not-so-good habit” of simply leaving old cables in situ when they were replaced, and piling the new ones up top. " Exactly what I said above. They left old cables in place instead of removing them. Now they have to remove them.

I realize how smart these people are, but I also realize how dumb they are, too.

That's the article's author (mis)summarizing the problem. Further down, actual quotes from the CERN engineer state the problem is related to upgrades over the years, and incomplete documentation, not simply a problem with someone incompetently replacing cables as you continue to suggest.

Sebastien Evrard SAID this himself. In case you didn't know, he's one of the researchers for CERN. Like it literally says in the part I quoted.. Evrard SAID CERN had a not-so-good habit of simply LEAVING old cables... How can you think that's the Author's summarizing words?

While the rest of it is true, also. As far as incomplete documentation. Not knowing what cables are what and so forth. It ALSO says the reason for this is because due to the old (not being used) cables their is NO more room for anymore upgrades and they have to clean it up.

Oh wait. I was wrong. Evrard is a Mechanical Engineer not just a "researcher". My bad. My bad.

And lol @ calling them "idiots".
No matter how smart we have the capacity to be, we can, and still do, really dumb things. For example, you can have an IQ of 163 and still lock yourself out of the house or car. Or run new cables and think, oh, I'll take them out later, and never get around to it. Sometimes we just have more important matters on our minds....or at least, we think they're more important. Until the friggin' thing fills up with wires. If you've ever worked on a project every day until you're exhausted, and never 'got around' to taking out the garbage, you'll understand this concept well.

Back