Man Fires Gun At Self Under Water In Slow Motion

That is some truly awful editing. Not one complete continuous shot of the... shot.

The man has some faith in science. We all know nothing would happen but I doubt there are many that would actually do it though.

Not really stupid if you understand physics. Its no different than when they put a ball on the end of a string to create a pendulum , hold it at their nose and let go standing still as it swings away and then back at their face. If you understand physics you know it can't hit you in the face as it can't create more energy to rise to a higher point from where it started. In this case a bullet in water won't go very far so if you know what the distance is you can stand outside of that range and be perfectly safe.

That is some truly awful editing. Not one complete continuous shot of the... shot.

To be honest, you wouldn't really see much if he didn't keep turning to different cameras. He zoomed in for you to see the initial part of the shot, then after that cloud went away you wouldn't see anything other than a dot. So by turning to different views you at least have something to see.

Not really stupid if you understand physics. Its no different than when they put a ball on the end of a string to create a pendulum , hold it at their nose and let go standing still as it swings away and then back at their face. If you understand physics you know it can't hit you in the face as it can't create more energy to rise to a higher point from where it started. In this case a bullet in water won't go very far so if you know what the distance is you can stand outside of that range and be perfectly safe.

To be honest, you wouldn't really see much if he didn't keep turning to different cameras. He zoomed in for you to see the initial part of the shot, then after that cloud went away you wouldn't see anything other than a dot. So by turning to different views you at least have something to see.

Yes we know, but your brain says guns are bad and don't stand in front of them no matter what. So ya. Takes balls.

Anyway, here is another for the lazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQVlOXfegsA

The man has some faith in science. We all know nothing would happen but I doubt there are many that would actually do it though.

Probably a reason why he was the one who pulled the trigger via some pulley/rope system. Even after he seemed extremely relieved like what did you expect was going to happen? Worst case is the bullet some how gets super hot flash boils the water as a travels and actually makes it to him... but no way a bullet is going to get that hot, and even if it did the mass of it won't hold enough thermal energy to travel that long.

Another movie myth busted :D

cool video!

he probably asked for volunteers first before deciding to do it himself... :p

I do wonder how close you'd have to be to have penetration, that slows down to a stop within about a barrel length, but how fast is it really traveling at that point?

Not really stupid if you understand physics. Its no different than when they put a ball on the end of a string to create a pendulum , hold it at their nose and let go standing still as it swings away and then back at their face.
Someone that REALLY understands physics, understands the difference between book physics and real world physics where there are often many variables you forgot to take into account.

Accidentally impart some forward motion on the bowling ball when releasing it, or notice that the string you have starts to flex or breaks at the wrong moment, or there's an air current from the AC outlet behind you, and you can end up losing teeth.

Because the bullet isn't stabilized in water, if it were a little shallower I could see it for example doing something weird like shooting almost straight up and hitting him at low velocity in the eye.

Barrel was completely submerged, and he was pretty far away. Sounds more impressive than it actually is, but that's show biz.

Was expecting a video of him being close enough for the bullet to hit him but slow enough to not do damage. I think most everyone knows a bullet only travels a few feet under water so after seeing where he was I knew the bullet wouldn't get close.

In other news today, a man was killed when he was impaled by the barrel flying off his AR15 when he tried to shoot himself underwater.

The bullet landed safely 10 feet away, but the back-pressure was so great the barrel flew off and speared him like the dumbass he is.

His last word was "Successss......!"

I wonder what that does to breach pressure. The extra resistance of the water in the barrel has to slow that bullet down so much.

In other news today, a man was killed when he was impaled by the barrel flying off his AR15 when he tried to shoot himself underwater.

The bullet landed safely 10 feet away, but the back-pressure was so great the barrel flew off and speared him like the dumbass he is.

His last word was "Successss......!"

If the bullet is only going that far with a given amount of powder, the barrel would travel an even shorter distance were it to be compromised.

this seems pretty pointless, if he is going to do it at least do it so the bullet makes contact with the skin, and doesnt fall 10feet short of you.

Was expecting a video of him being close enough for the bullet to hit him but slow enough to not do damage. I think most everyone knows a bullet only travels a few feet under water so after seeing where he was I knew the bullet wouldn't get close.

Sadly, I feel like most everyone still thinks guns are evil magical weapons that can go off randomly.

You gotta remember, the general public is educated on firearms through movies and call of duty (I hate getting shot from someone that is under water using a shotgun or getting quickscoped lol).

You know the dude had already watched MythBusters that proved even a 50 caliber round won't even make it 3 feet underwater. It's a crack up watching movies that still show people getting shot underwater or lighting gasoline with a cigarette or shooting guns that have no kick.

You know the dude had already watched MythBusters that proved even a 50 caliber round won't even make it 3 feet underwater. It's a crack up watching movies that still show people getting shot underwater or lighting gasoline with a cigarette or shooting guns that have no kick.

This...try shooting a subsonic pistol caliber under water and see if he wants to stand there.

If the bullet is only going that far with a given amount of powder, the barrel would travel an even shorter distance were it to be compromised.

There ya go, getting all accurate and shit. Can't you leave a good jest alone ?

He did his research for that specific firearm with that specific type of ammo, so I'd say he's being as careful as one can be about this type of action.

On another note, there are plenty of examples of people using Glock 17 pistols equipped with spring maritime cups, and these function underwater using FMJ ammo, assuming that all of the proper precautions are taken.

The last I read, you can still punch through a 1/2 inch pine wood board 10 feet away with the above setup.

Even though he knew it wasn't going to make it that far why would you aim it at your crotch... lol

I'm more impressed that he used a $10K collectors gun rather than a $600 beater to submerge underwater.

I'm more impressed that he used a $10K collectors gun rather than a $600 beater to submerge underwater.

I just assumed he was Swiss. The Swiss government hands out those awesome Sig rifles to almost every household in the country.

Sadly, I feel like most everyone still thinks guns are evil magical weapons that can go off randomly.

You should always assume that a gun is loaded and could accidentally fire due to human error or mechanical failure. Basic gun safety...

Honestly this video pissed me off for a number of reasons. First being that anyone who has discovered this crazy modern invention called "Youtube" has likely seen that bullets don't travel far under water. There are hundreds if not thousands of videos out there showing this. The next being the terrible editing and this notion that he is somehow doing something "risky". The "Life on the line" statement at the end really irked me as at no point ever was he even in danger of the bullet so much as falling on his toe. The over dramatized relief after the bullet literally stopped FEET away from here just made me want to punch him in the face for either being a drama queen or being the worlds biggest pussy. He was literally multiple feet outside the range of even the furthest known distance a bullet can travel under water.

You should always assume that a gun is loaded and could accidentally fire due to human error or mechanical failure. Basic gun safety...

Human error, yes. Explain the mechanical failure that causes a loaded weapon left on a table to suddenly fire.

The proper term is "negligent discharge." Firearms do not "accidentally" fire, they only fire when someone has been negligent in the handling of the firearm, usually by having their finger on the trigger! Almost every firearm produced within the last 50 years are subject to a "drop test" and have built-in safety devices that makes it impossible for the firearm to discharge without pulling the trigger. Discharges due to "mechanical failure" only happen when someone has negligently modified their firearm to a dangerous condition.

Dude is going to get a call from his insurance agent.

"We saw your video of attempted suicide. Your life insurance policy has been cancelled. Have a great day!"

Back