Lyft Paying $12.25M To Settle Drivers' Lawsuit In CA

HardOCP News

[H] News
Lyft has agreed to pay $12.25 million to its drivers in California and change the way they are treated. The new rules will go into effect immediately and settlement pay outs will be based on the number of hours drivers in California have worked for Lyft.

The California drivers who filed the lawsuit against the company wanted to be reclassified as employees in order to receive minimum wage and benefits, as well as to get Lyft to pay for their gas and vehicle maintenance. While they've unfortunately failed to get their status changed -- they're still considered contractors -- drivers in the state will get part of the settlement fund based on the hours they've put into working for the company.

Contractor /= employee. Why is this.so.hard to understand? Oh yeah, entitled cry babies

Damn people organizing to find the true value of their labor. Hoe your row and be happy to have it, peasant!

I love those simplified cowboy statements from you too. Let's treat everybody like shit.

Up next: Volunteers and community service workers want to be treated as employees. Stay tuned!

I'm not a big fan of these ride services but this is the surest way for these employees to kill their Golden Goose ... if they want to be employees then they should go work for a taxi company ... if they want benefits they should get a regular job as a full time employee ... all that these lawsuits will accomplish is to kill off the budding new ride services market before it even gets fully established ... they are contractors and they should adjust to that classification or find a regular job

I can't wait until the contractor I paid to paint my house last year, comes back and sues me because he decided his time was worth more than we originally agreed.

Turns out it's $12.25 million divided among however many there are and only up to now. ;)

Yeah, will pretty much be chump change. Interesting they settled, reading early arguments about Ubers huge class action sounded like there may be some outside chance, but their counsel must have said this was a good outcome.

And I also agree it's a bit of a ridiculous lawsuit, the terms were well known up front. That being said, in general I think people overreact when an individual sues a company over work terms. If it was one company suing another, "That's business." Just like to see the labor side of the equation get a bit more respect.

I'm not a big fan of these ride services but this is the surest way for these employees to kill their Golden Goose ... if they want to be employees then they should go work for a taxi company ... if they want benefits they should get a regular job as a full time employee ... all that these lawsuits will accomplish is to kill off the budding new ride services market before it even gets fully established ... they are contractors and they should adjust to that classification or find a regular job

Uber and Lyft earnings have fallen so much that it's not much of a Golden Goose anymore, many drivers are probably in the lawsuit to make up for their <minimum wage earnings.

And this is not an issue about drivers wanting to be employees; it's all about if a company wants to classify its workers as ICs, then it must treat them as ICs. If they instead control them like employees, then they are employees regardless of what the terms say.

Back