World's Fastest Rubik's Cube Solving Robot

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you thought the current world record for solving a Rubik's cube was fast, wait until you see this 3D printed robot solve it in 1.2 seconds. For those of you keeping track at home, that is twice as fast as the current world record set in October of last year. :eek:

I liked the lego one more.. Since it did not have filed off center squares and had a loader, so you all you had to do is to place a cube in without disassembling the device.

I agree.

I consider this a "Altered" rubix cube.... so there should be no World record.

Remake your device so an unaltered cube can be used, and then we will talk World records

Axe

Always thought that for "world records" for solving the Rubik cube they should make it a blind cube until the moment the clock starts.

Always thought that for "world records" for solving the Rubik cube they should make it a blind cube until the moment the clock starts.

There are different sections for it. They are allowed 15 seconds to study it. That really isn't a whole lot of time. It really depends which record you are going for, speed solve is about how fast you can solve it, there is a blindfold record that can be done as well. One record is not the other.

They basically did this at the end, blocking one of the cameras. You can see on the screen that the software does not recognize the cube correctly with that one camera blocked. He then hits the button as he raises the paper blocking the camera, and it's one of the fastest solves shown.

I get the arguments for an unaltered cube, but this is still very cool.

that is twice as fast as the current world record

I'm much more impressed by the world record time being so close to that of a purpose-built machine.

I was hoping for a ultra slow motion high frame rate shot of the solve.

Disappointed about that but that's still a crazy awesome achievement.

This really isn't a fair solve since the machine attaches to the center cube on all six side, so those colors are always static. Now some people may not think that's a big deal, but it is, you are removing a 6! (I believe) permutation from the solve equation. The mid sections don't rotate. Just the outer sections around each.

This really isn't a fair solve since the machine attaches to the center cube on all six side, so those colors are always static.
That shouldn't matter since the cube is scrambled outside the contraption. IOW, it doesn't change the number of possible configurations of scrambled cubes to solve.

That shouldn't matter since the cube is scrambled outside the contraption. IOW, it doesn't change the number of possible configurations of scrambled cubes to solve.

Then how are the center sections of the cube moved then since the center of all the sides are attached to a motor? I didn't see them disengage and move.

This really isn't a fair solve since the machine attaches to the center cube on all six side, so those colors are always static. Now some people may not think that's a big deal, but it is, you are removing a 6! (I believe) permutation from the solve equation. The mid sections don't rotate. Just the outer sections around each.

The center blocks of a Rubik's Cube is ALWAYS static. 6 sides, 6 colors. And the center blocks don't ever move independently. The appearance if the center blocks moving is merely a visual artifact of the way humans handle a cube, turning the whole cube about to view the faces.

Why would this be impressive? I mean I guess I can be impressed by the jack I use to lift my car... It just a machine. We will see how we do with AI, and the industry's teenage infatuation with it.. Hopefully it will not be misguided.. I have doubts.

Because math.

And because there has been a progression in technology that has led up to this point.

You don't need a monstrously powerful supercomputer. You just need a couple of relatively cheap webcams, the algorithm used to solve a cube, a rig to hold the cube, and a low power computer with a hobbyist circuitboard.

Also because these aren't rich guys and famous scientists doing this engineering.

It's everyday people doing it.

The center blocks of a Rubik's Cube is ALWAYS static. 6 sides, 6 colors. And the center blocks don't ever move independently. The appearance if the center blocks moving is merely a visual artifact of the way humans handle a cube, turning the whole cube about to view the faces.
Yup in reality the only thing that moves in the cube on the edge pieces the center just rotates upon axis doesn't really move.

Impressive considering it's relatively low cost, compact and they 3D printed the housing. Drilling the center cubes is to give it traction otherwise the stickers would rip off. Guess they could use an open socket instead that grips the corners of center pieces if modication is an issue to achieving their record.

Back