Intel Recognized as Nation's Top Green Power Purchaser by EPA

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel is ranked No. 1 on the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Green Power Partnership National Top 100 list, marking the ninth consecutive year the company has been recognized as the nation's largest voluntary purchaser of green power by the EPA. Intel's annual purchase of 3.1 billion kilowatt-hours (kWh) of green power met 100 percent of its U.S. electricity use, which has the equivalent environmental impact of taking more than 455,000 cars off the road each year.

Followed back to the EPA report, which lists Intel as using Solar and Wind as 100% of power used. So does that mean that when the wind stops blowing at night, that Intel goes dark and shuts down? Or is the shortfall made up by coal or gas plants and Intel is faking it by buying offset credits? If Intel has developed or bought some kind of massive energy storage system to cover times when its dark and calm, that would be real news.

Same comments apply to #100 on the EPA list, the Empire State Building, listed as 100% power from wind.

Followed back to the EPA report, which lists Intel as using Solar and Wind as 100% of power used. So does that mean that when the wind stops blowing at night, that Intel goes dark and shuts down? Or is the shortfall made up by coal or gas plants and Intel is faking it by buying offset credits? If Intel has developed or bought some kind of massive energy storage system to cover times when its dark and calm, that would be real news.

Same comments apply to #100 on the EPA list, the Empire State Building, listed as 100% power from wind.

They're buying credits. They subsidize/buy Solar for someone else and they count that as them using solar.

1000 years ago it would have been a king buying a papal indulgence from the pope.

I wondered where they were blowing their money since I haven't had to upgrade my CPU in 5 years.

Back