Your Facebook Friends Don't Care About You

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new study has found that most of your Facebook friends couldn't care less about you. Coincidentally, the same researcher claims that the same is true of your real world friends.

For his latest research, Dunbar analyzed a UK study of 3,375 Facebook users between the ages of 18 and 65. On average, folks had 150 followers but said that they could only count on 4.1 of them during an "emotional crisis," and only 13.6 ever express sympathy. Those numbers line up very closely with Dunbar's previous offline studies.

Maybe the reason I don't suffer from "emotional crisis", is that I don't use Facebook.

Life happens: Deal with it.

A lot of people friend strangers off the street and every single person they meet. Most aren't going to care if that is the case.

It depends on the person also. If someone constantly is emotional, I tend to think that is the norm and it could be an attention-getter. I do care about every person I have on facebook. Maybe it is just because I am that way, especially since I became a Christian.

I am a firm believer of networking and the more people in your network only helps. ;)

He ain't wrong. You find out who your friends really are when you go through a crisis like an accident or divorce, etc. Everybody is only concerned for the most part about themselves where they only offer help or comfort when convenient for them. And only for a short period. Oh its been a whole month already, time to suck it up!

99% of the people you are "friends" with on Facebook aren't your "friends". They are just people you've met or used to know.

I would say if you have 20 good real friends then realistically you may have one that you'd help bury the body, 2-3 you would get upset about and go to the funeral and the rest would be -

"Well he never bothered to call me for ages so **** him!"

A lot of people friend strangers off the street and every single person they meet. Most aren't going to care if that is the case.

It depends on the person also. If someone constantly is emotional, I tend to think that is the norm and it could be an attention-getter. I do care about every person I have on facebook. Maybe it is just because I am that way, especially since I became a Christian.

So prior to you being a Christian, you were a dbag? :confused:

As others said most people friend everyone. That is why I had almost no friends on my account be I only friended real friends or family members

So prior to you being a Christian, you were a dbag? :confused:

When Christ changes someones heart, it is all out in the open for those to see the difference. :) Praise GOD, ShagnWagn! :) The folks on my Facebook account are only folks I have meet in real life. (Does keep my friend list rather short though.)

I think people read too much into the "Friends" part of Facebook. "Friends" aren't the same as real life friends. It's just a term they used to try and make connections sound better. It's more like you're following them stalker style. You want to read their updates. I have many friends on Facebook that I've never personally met, we just have a common interest (mostly video games, beer or both). The real life friends are on there, and from those, there are still several that would help me out if I needed.

Friends != Facebook Friends.

That's because most Facebook friends are acquaintances, not friends. I don't know anyone with 100 actual friends. It'd be exhausting to have that many friends.

Only in the 21st century could a common citizen have 400 friends.

Depends on how you define "common" ... if you subscribe to Malcolm Gladwell's Law of the Few model, then the Internet (and elements of the Internet, like Facebook) have created more opportunities for a person to become one of the instigators of Tipping Points and Epidemics (Connectors, Mavens, Salesmen) ... establishing the connections or expertise in these roles is much easier now that it only requires Internet access ... we certainly have some people on this Forum who can easily fill those roles :cool:

I know this guy who died two years back and they still post messages to his facebook page.

I am a firm believer of networking and the more people in your network only helps. ;)

Nah, just gives you a false sense of security. These people don't care about you. Unless you can look them in the face, don't trust what you read.

I don't use social networking because I have no need for it.

Fuck sympathy it doesn't help anyone. I hate those sanctimonious a-holes on social media or anywhere. If you can't offer real help just stfu. Acting like you care when in fact you don't give 2 fucks about anyone but yourself.

Fuck sympathy it doesn't help anyone. I hate those sanctimonious a-holes on social media or anywhere. If you can't offer real help just stfu. Acting like you care when in fact you don't give 2 fucks about anyone but yourself.

Having compassion is very important. Also, showing mercy can be a good thing as well. Sometimes, all you can do is be there and be sympathetic to their plight.

Wow, the level of vitriol on this thread is disturbing. I use to think this board was made up of kids, but I now think it's made up of a bunch of old farts sitting on the porch with a shotgun telling kids to stay off their lawn.

I think most people on here skip the Hallmark greeting card section and go right for the Kingpin 980ti instead.

I see facebook as the virtual water cooler. I don't live in a fantasy that all the people on it are my real friends, I see them like the coworkers that you enjoy small banter with around the watercooler at work but chance's are your not going to hang out with more than few of them after work.

Having compassion is very important. Also, showing mercy can be a good thing as well. Sometimes, all you can do is be there and be sympathetic to their plight.

Having compassion is different to the cheap compassion that's one generic cliché sent over facebook.

It's the same like when I put food on the table. Saying thank you is nothing to me. If you really want to show your gratitude help me during cooking next time, that'd mean 1000x more to me than uttering a generic thank you.

Wow, the level of vitriol on this thread is disturbing. I use to think this board was made up of kids, but I now think it's made up of a bunch of old farts sitting on the porch with a shotgun telling kids to stay off their lawn.

What is wrong with that?

Back