Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Effects Breakdown

Here is yet another special effects breakdown of the new Star Wars film. Unfortunately, this only reminds me of what a stupid character Maz Kanata is.

Saw the movie for the 2nd time, and it definitely solidified my idea that she is filling in for the Yoda archetype....which is to say she is the "oracle" archetype (in that she has been around long enough to experience all things). I don't see her as being bad and her dialog was clear and to the point much like Yoda was (san Prequel's).

And we can also thank James Cameron for making it all possible :cool:

Here is yet another special effects breakdown of the new Star Wars film. Unfortunately, this only reminds me of what a stupid character Maz Kanata is.

I felt all the characters were extremely forgettable. If you had not posted a picture I would not have known who Maz Kanata was. Hell, I don't even remember most of the main casts names outside of Han, Chewbacca, and BB8. I really wanted to like it but in the end I realized I was trying too hard to do so. I believe if it was judged just on the merits of it being a film, and not a Star Wars branded film, I believe it would have flopped. Yes, nostalgia goes a long way for many people. I grew up with the original films, but the nostalgia was not enough for me to like it.
To each their own.

I wish they would have spend more time on a plot then super duper ultra geek effects.

I felt all the characters were extremely forgettable. If you had not posted a picture I would not have known who Maz Kanata was. Hell, I don't even remember most of the main casts names outside of Han, Chewbacca, and BB8. I really wanted to like it but in the end I realized I was trying too hard to do so. I believe if it was judged just on the merits of it being a film, and not a Star Wars branded film, I believe it would have flopped. Yes, nostalgia goes a long way for many people. I grew up with the original films, but the nostalgia was not enough for me to like it.
To each their own.

Well this one does rely heavily on the idea that you are intimate with the story line of the original trilogy. I felt the film is more an homage to the original trilogy (not a reboot!). So in a sense, this movie would not exist if it were not for the original.

For casual viewers or newcomers to the series, this would be a hard movie to understand or get attached to. I'm not saying that you are one of those, that was just a general statement.

Hell, I don't even remember most of the main casts names outside of Han, Chewbacca, and BB8.

Yeah right. Go troll somewhere else.

Why is it that people who haven't even seen something feel the need to attack it? I've seen the same phenomenon before (particularly with the early Harry Potter books), but not with the intensity I've seen from the TFA trolls.

1) Not trolling, clearly just my opinion.
2) I saw the movie.
3) You apparently liked it (and that is fine), I just did not find any of the characters memorable or interesting and was expecting a more engaging story. Again, my opinion.

You can 'not like the movie' but to say none of the characters were memorable is trolling because they obviously were even had you not seen the movie even. I know people that haven't seen it yet and know the characters Rey, Finn, and Poe so I don't buy that garbage.

I liked the movie, but the CG of Maz really stuck out for me as being out of place and more "fake" than the rest. Reminded me of the old Hulk movies.

Also, I think that in general, Star Wars can do with a few less corny/quirky/campy/cute/endearing characters and use few more serious/mysterious/eccentric ones. Like the Queen of the Awoken and her brother in Destiny, for example. But that's just me.

You can 'not like the movie' but to say none of the characters were memorable is trolling because they obviously were even had you not seen the movie even. I know people that haven't seen it yet and know the characters Rey, Finn, and Poe so I don't buy that garbage.

I completely agree with the other poster. Not a memorable movie. I can barely remember the plot let alone the individual characters. Thinking back on it, it honestly seems to me like barely anything even happened in the film.

I completely agree with the other poster. Not a memorable movie. I can barely remember the plot let alone the individual characters. Thinking back on it, it honestly seems to me like barely anything even happened in the film.

That's on you, Skip.

Saw the movie for the 2nd time, and it definitely solidified my idea that she is filling in for the Yoda archetype....which is to say she is the "oracle" archetype (in that she has been around long enough to experience all things). I don't see her as being bad and her dialog was clear and to the point much like Yoda was (san Prequel's).

And we can also thank James Cameron for making it all possible :cool:

Yes, but she was disposable in that regard since she only served one purpose and that was to get that lightsaber in Rey's hands and then her job is to die.

Ya! AND they made a girl and black guy the main characters! I thought this was America!

Yes, but she was disposable in that regard since she only served one purpose and that was to get that lightsaber in Rey's hands and then her job is to die.

No, that was Max Von Sydow's role in the movie :D

Seriously I am scratching my head over his role. I don't think they even say his characters name in his 2 minutes on screen.

star-wars-the-force-awakens-who-is-lor-san-tekka-_3.jpg

Did you like the originals?

I feel the same way with movies I don't care for - Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, etc.. Just shit my wife made me watch. Seemed like nothing happened (there is zero chemistry together and no reason they'd get together other than forced into it for the plot), and not very memorable.

Star Wars? I was trying to figure out how each character fit into everything (Max Sydow, WTF?! Who are you!? I think he's a minor character played by a famous person, so I read more into it than it is). Thinking about their future, who they are going to meet, if they are a Jedi, etc...

No, that was Max Von Sydow's role in the movie :D

Seriously I am scratching my head over his role. I don't think they even say his characters name in his 2 minutes on screen.

star-wars-the-force-awakens-who-is-lor-san-tekka-_3.jpg

I think and this is just speculation on my part, that Sydow's character was to watch over her and the information to her father, Luke, like Ben watched over Luke when he was a kid.

To say that I was underwhelmed by TFA is putting it mildly. Recycled plot, characters, etc. Even the effects in parts of the movie were glaringly bad. People may not like George Lucas and the prequels, but I have to even put Episode 1 above TFA.

And seriously Kylo Ren the emo bad guy? Whoever in Hollywood decided that villains talking into tin cans needs to be put away. First Bane now this.

Did you like the originals?

I feel the same way with movies I don't care for - Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, etc.. Just shit my wife made me watch. Seemed like nothing happened (there is zero chemistry together and no reason they'd get together other than forced into it for the plot), and not very memorable.

Star Wars? I was trying to figure out how each character fit into everything (Max Sydow, WTF?! Who are you!? I think he's a minor character played by a famous person, so I read more into it than it is). Thinking about their future, who they are going to meet, if they are a Jedi, etc...

I love the originals. In fact, watching TFA made me want to go back and rewatch the IV-VI again just to remind myself that I actually enjoyed those movies.

Sorry to everyone I offended by saying I didn't enjoy the movie, but hollywood blockbusters with stupid action scenes, bad dialogue, and extraneous special effects don't really do it for me.

Watch episode IV and episode VII side by side. I think you'll notice a difference.

Also to the poster who made the comment about the two main characters being black and female respectively, yeah I get it. Not really part of the problem I had with the movie.

Back