Verizon Shuts The Door On Reviving Unlimited Data

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Verizon has crushed the dreams of the three people on the planet who actually believed the company would ever bring unlimited data back.

Verizon, the nation's largest wireless carrier, won't be following in the footsteps of rival AT&T, which last week brought back the unlimited-data option for customers who also subscribe to its DirecTV or U-Verse TV services. Unlimited data, which lets you wirelessly stream all the music and video (and anything else) you want to your phone, has been increasingly difficult to come by as carriers have raised prices or ditched the plans entirely. Both Verizon and AT&T ended their unlimited offers in 2010, though many customers have clung to grandfathered plans.

I still have my old grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan. When it was time to upgrade I purchased someones unused HTC One M7 warranty replacement for a few hundred dollars a few years ago. Still a fine phone.

Where I live I have awful 3Mbps DSL service but there is a Verizon tower less than a half a milfe away so even in my basement I get 4 o 5 out of 5 bars of full 4G. I rooted the phone and installed a tehter app and boom, unlimted 15 or 20Mbps wireless when I need it to download a large 2 GB file or stream something that is too choppy on my DSL.

Some months I have over 300GB racked up on my data plan. The catch is that I am stuck with an OLD OLD family share plan that is expensive as hell. But still WAY cheaper than trying to buy that much data from Verizon.

I just switched from my unlimited plan. I was getting about 6 GB / mo out of it, but the bill I was paying Verizon got up to just over $100 each month. Just was not worth it for me. Too bad they don't just charge for what you use. Corporate greed!

I have the unlimited plan, they charge a shit ton for it. So I make damn sure I use it. I dont even bother to connect to wifi anymore, I watch movies on my phone all the time, if I am under 25gb a month its a miracle.

I still have unlimited data and I'm under contract for it. I have a second line with unlimited talk and txt when you have two lines you can transfer your upgrade from one line to other and upgrade. The trick is NOT to activate any phone on the UDP line, so Verizon doesn't jack with your data. Once a phone has been activated then you can put it on your UDP line.

I still have unlimited data and I'm under contract for it. I have a second line with unlimited talk and txt when you have two lines you can transfer your upgrade from one line to other and upgrade. The trick is NOT to activate any phone on the UDP line, so Verizon doesn't jack with your data. Once a phone has been activated then you can put it on your UDP line.

Be careful with this. Verizon changed things up on Nov. 15 last year when they introduced the price hikes for UDP. Made the transfer method (4ever method) a lot more difficult, and you can easily lose UDP if you do it the old way. Closed many of the upgrade loopholes.

Where I live I have awful 3Mbps DSL service but there is a Verizon tower less than a half a milfe away so even in my basement I get 4 o 5 out of 5 bars of full 4G. I rooted the phone and installed a tehter app and boom, unlimted 15 or 20Mbps wireless when I need it to download a large 2 GB file or stream something that is too choppy on my DSL.

And this is one of the reasons none of the major carriers want unlimited data, people who think that their phone is a gateway to the internet for their PC.

Be careful with this. Verizon changed things up on Nov. 15 last year when they introduced the price hikes for UDP. Made the transfer method (4ever method) a lot more difficult, and you can easily lose UDP if you do it the old way. Closed many of the upgrade loopholes.

People keeping saying this, but I used the method on VZW website on November 16th and it worked for me. I think it worked for me because my cycle date is at the end of the month.

I know the BBM is dead as a doornail

the most accurate and up to date info comes from here

http://slickdeals.net/f/7743625-ver...year-data-plan-on-a-nationwide-basic-line?v=1

and pewople with unlimited data on verzion should always check the the thread before doing an upgrade.

And this is one of the reasons none of the major carriers want unlimited data, people who think that their phone is a gateway to the internet for their PC.

They should just terminate the contracts and users doing this. The unlimited data isn't for tethering everything in a household, it's designed for unlimited data on the mobile device.

People keeping saying this, but I used the method on VZW website on November 16th and it worked for me. I think it worked for me because my cycle date is at the end of the month.

I know the BBM is dead as a doornail

the most accurate and up to date info comes from here

http://slickdeals.net/f/7743625-ver...year-data-plan-on-a-nationwide-basic-line?v=1

and pewople with unlimited data on verzion should always check the the thread before doing an upgrade.

Yea that's where I get my info. Everything I've read says the 4ever is a no go without doing additional tricks like changing your number. Says it right there at the top of the post. May have worked that last time you did it, but anyone trying it the old way today will be SOL, regardless if it was activated on another line or not.

I did BBM late November, but just sold the phone without ever activating it. Avoided the price hike for 2 years and netted $400 cash for the sold phone.

Funny you say that.

What you say above is EXACTLY what Verizon told residents of New Jersey when Verizon was paid billions to build out landline internet in NJ...and Verizon took the money and said "LOL 4G LTE is the same thing and landline internet".

They should just terminate the contracts and users doing this. The unlimited data isn't for tethering everything in a household, it's designed for unlimited data on the mobile device.

If you have unlimited data from Verizon, you can still add unlimited hotspot for $30 if you want to be legit. No one does tho, cause you can use 100s of gigs without Verizon caring.

Actually Verizon will not let you pay the $30 a month to turn your phone into a hotspot. I rooted my phone and turned it into a hotspot that way.

I am not tethering everything, just one device at a time when I want to stream the WWE Network or download a large file. I could just as easily stream the WWE Network on the phone iteself and hook it to a TV via HDMI or download the 5GB file on my phone and transfer it via Wifi or USB, but the desktop interface is easier for me. I don't really use MORE data because of this, I just use what I am entitled to anyway.

The bottom line is unlimited means UNLIMITED. I pay Verizon $220 a month for two paid off phones with 700 minutes of data, unlimited text. One phone has 2GB data and my phone has unlimited. For $220 I am going to burn that shit up and not feel guilty.

I meant to say to sfsuphysics that if you have unlimited they won't let you pay the $30 for a hotspot.

Back