Windows 10 Insider Preview Build Crashes Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft is warning people that the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11102 released yesterday can cause issues for gamers. Apparently the problems are related to a bug in Windows graphics stack and may affect more games than the ones listed below.

Some PC games will crash switching from windowed mode to full screen, upon game resolution change, or upon launch due to a bug in Windows graphics stack. We have observed this with The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed, and Metal Gear Solid V but it may occur with other titles as well.

Oh shit. Hopefully they fix it. I play a few of those games, but not a whole lot. My son does, though, and he runs the fast ring, too.... Maybe it won't affect him. He may end up rolling back, though, if it does.

The price you pay of beta and bleeding edge! :) So far, it's been worth it.

So... still some bugs with the diagnostics and tracking part of the graphics stack then?

If you're a masochist...

LOL!

So far, it hasn't been bad at all for Win10. I've done some betas in the past that were a real mess. This one isn't really that bad. Most of the faults I've had with it have been of my own causing (playing with registry, etc.).

Stuff like this is definitely broken (as was the missing copy progress dialog box in a previous build), but it's said up front and I can work around it.

A while back, though, they put out a release that was really messed up. I lucked out and didn't have a problem. A shit ton of others did. I think I'd reconsider the Insiders program if I was unlucky that time. Or at least use it on a VM!

Iced tea just shot out my nose.
A beta OS is definitely the definition of masochism.

Also liked how they've used terms like "Early Adopter", "Release Preview" and "Early Access" (my personal favorite) to replace Beta.

Well it's the beta program for new releases. I know they didn't mean to break it and it would be great if it didn't, but that's the whole point to find this stuff before it affects the large, main install base.

Also liked how they've used terms like "Early Adopter", "Release Preview" and "Early Access" (my personal favorite) to replace Beta.

You can thank Google and other services abusing the word Beta for that. I remember when 7 was in beta news reports promoting it as a demo which probably lead to a lot of people installing it when they shouldn't have. At least this makes it more clear.

I remember for a while there, everything Google had was in beta.

Google Maps (Still in beta)
Google Chrome (still in beta)
Google Toolbar (still in beta)
Google Gmail (still in beta)

They have dropped it since but I always found it funny how some companies would abuse the term Beta in the earlier days.

Microsoft should use the term "Quality Control Release" since they laid off that entire department and are now just letting the customers do the QC work.

Well it's the beta program for new releases. I know they didn't mean to break it and it would be great if it didn't, but that's the whole point to find this stuff before it affects the large, main install base.

this is exactly how I view it! I've been running the "betas" since xp days, on my main system, for this reason. I honestly do not recall ever rolling back to a previous build or windows version. I stick it out and use a backup device if I have too. the whole point is to help find the issues for everyone's benefit.

Oh noes, what will I ever do with my "unstable" 8.1 version, it's so outdated, I'm not hip lol.

I'd like to thank people who beta test windows 10. Back when I beta tested windows 98 in the later stages things like the 75,000 file copy bug (windows 7) didn't make it to the release stage, although I admit windows 98SE was the true version and windows 98 first edition was a joke compared to the speed of Memphis. I'm hoping by the time DX12 games are out and I'm forced to install the adware the is windows 10 it will be much less bug free and leaner than it is now. I still need to research all the ad servers and Telemetry.

Can anybody tell me what they think of Spybot Anti-Beacon?
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Just take it from me. If you need to work (not game) stick with W7. If you run ANY kind of legacy software (by legacy I mean anything from DOS to .Net 4) stick with 7. If you want to remain sane - stick with 7 (or Linux or even Mac, just stay away from Disaster10).

Spend multitude of hours, nights and days to try force things to work. About hour ago I said no more. Pass. White Flag. Bought boxed Pro version because I wasn't that daft to upgrade perfectly stable workstation. I wasn't happy with VMs running W10, because VM is never whole truth about system. After crapload of test time (X99 platform with dual NVMe storage, multiple RAID arrays, 2 drive pools and about 20 USB storage/peripherals devices) I just couldn't take it anymore. Just threw away that damn thing. Stashed it somewhere very deep and dark and I hope in 3 months I won't even remember exactly where...

So livid you can't even comprehend. As far I'm concerned MS should burn in Kingdom of Bad Sectors and Failed Patches.

Just take it from me. If you need to work (not game) stick with W7. If you run ANY kind of legacy software (by legacy I mean anything from DOS to .Net 4) stick with 7. If you want to remain sane - stick with 7 (or Linux or even Mac, just stay away from Disaster10).

Spend multitude of hours, nights and days to try force things to work. About hour ago I said no more. Pass. White Flag. Bought boxed Pro version because I wasn't that daft to upgrade perfectly stable workstation. I wasn't happy with VMs running W10, because VM is never whole truth about system. After crapload of test time (X99 platform with dual NVMe storage, multiple RAID arrays, 2 drive pools and about 20 USB storage/peripherals devices) I just couldn't take it anymore. Just threw away that damn thing. Stashed it somewhere very deep and dark and I hope in 3 months I won't even remember exactly where...

So livid you can't even comprehend. As far I'm concerned MS should burn in Kingdom of Bad Sectors and Failed Patches.

Sounds like PEBKAC errors to me. Either that or you were running the insider previews and expected a perfectly stable OS from it. Either way, your experience does not typically mirror reality. Enjoy whatever you use though, I know I am. :D

Sounds like PEBKAC errors to me. Either that or you were running the insider previews and expected a perfectly stable OS from it. Either way, your experience does not typically mirror reality. Enjoy whatever you use though, I know I am. :D

When someone goes on and on about how nothing seems to work, yeah, it's got to be more there problem than anything else. I run a great deal of desktop software and there's not one desktop app that I use that hasn't worked perfectly with 10. I do tend to run the latest versions of stuff that's important to me like Office, PowerDVD etc. so that probably helps but I've not has any issues with older games though nothing like DOS based games. Those have long issues running in modern versions of Windows.

Ahh, my day is complete. Its not a windows thread without the Windows White Knight Defenders Squad showing up.

Ahh, my day is complete. Its not a windows thread without the Windows White Knight Defenders Squad showing up.

Yeah, but when someone is making the claim that basically nothing "legacy" runs under Windows 10, White Knight or not, you kind of have to wonder what is going on there.

I think it is to make it more user friendly names for the general public. They have no idea what Alpha or Beta means. They just see oh look free software. I lost count of how many times people posted in various places bitching about how beta versions of Office or Windows had bugs that that Microsoft needs to test their products before releasing them. By giving them "cute" names it makes it a tad easier for the average person to see that and say ok so this isn't the final release. And while they still probably won't all fully understand, hopefully you get at least a few that understand that they are trying out an early version as opposed to thinking Beta is just part of the name.

yup, because you know DOS based software runs great on OS X 10.11 without any trouble.

And comments like this are why I think these forums have gone to shit. This place has become so predictable it is almost boring.

Back