Drone Autonomously Lands On Moving Car

Not a bad proof of concept, but I wonder if they can scale it to much larger drones with real payloads. Using an entire car + giant net on a controlled road to catch a baby drone seems woefully inefficient.

They're on a long runway. Trying to catch a plane that has wheels while driving at speeds on a long runway. Why don't the plane just land on the runway?

Not a bad proof of concept, but I wonder if they can scale it to much larger drones with real payloads. Using an entire car + giant net on a controlled road to catch a baby drone seems woefully inefficient.

Considering they already got large UAVs landing autonomously on aircraft carriers, i should this is possible.

Considering they already got large UAVs landing autonomously on aircraft carriers, i should this is possible.

The text of the video talks about removing the landing gear to increase payload capacity. I don't think those carrier UAVs are landing gearless? Though maybe a group of quadcopter UAV's with a net between them could fly fast enough to take place of the car.

They're on a long runway. Trying to catch a plane that has wheels while driving at speeds on a long runway. Why don't the plane just land on the runway?

It was a proof of concept test.

What's the end goal they want to achieve? To land a UAV on a moving object?

In the video they said if they can do this they can remove landing gear which adds payload weight...so probably with the goal of shipping more weight on the drone before it needs to land.

I think that even the Terminator would think twice before stealing a Wagon from someone to hunt Sarah Connor. :D

I always liked the idea of throwing one out of a car when stuck in traffic, so it can show me why traffic is blocked and which is the correct lane to merge toward or get off if possible.

Back