Star Wars: Episode VIII Delayed By Seven Months

HardOCP News

[H] News
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

You'll have to wait a bit longer to see what the heck is up with Luke Skywalker. Disney announced this afternoon that it's delaying Star Wars: Episode VIII from May 26, 2017 by seven months to December 15, 2017. Disney didn't give any reason for the delay, but sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that it'll allow the studio to give the film a Christmas release treatment, which worked pretty well for The Force Awakens.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

You'll have to wait a bit longer to see what the heck is up with Luke Skywalker. Disney announced this afternoon that it's delaying Star Wars: Episode VIII from May 26, 2017 by seven months to December 15, 2017. Disney didn't give any reason for the delay, but sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that it'll allow the studio to give the film a Christmas release treatment, which worked pretty well for The Force Awakens.

A 2 year cadence is fine, especially since they are releasing other films in the star wars universe in the off years.

if they're expecting the movie to break box office numbers like Force Awakens they are crazy...that was a once-in-a-generation type of thing where people were anxiously awaiting a new non-Lucas and non-prequel SW movie...now with Disney set to release standalone SW movies every year along with the main movies, the nostalgia will subside and the box office numbers will normalize...I'm sure Episode 8 will still do well financially but it won't do as well as Force Awakens

The delay gives them time to extract every sales dollar out of Episode7 merchandise, and coincide with the release of Star Wars Land in the theme parks.

This is nothing. At the age I was when I saw Star Wars in 1977, finding out that I would have to wait until 1980 to see The Empire Strikes Back was a crushing blow of waiting forever.

Perfect. Tired of all of the attention that bullshit piece of crap Star Wars universe is getting.

Have they been working on the films right after finishing Ep.7? similar to Lord of the Rings, or 2 of the Pirates movies, or the last two Matrix movies? No? Big whoops, make movies right, not just fast. Yes? Big whoop, make movie right, not fast.

So is VIII going to be a remake of Empire Strikes Back?

Force Awakens was basically a remake of Ep IV.
I did not hate it but I am not sitting at the edge of my seat for the next episode.

I always thought this would of been better for them to release in december instead of may.

1 year gap between SW movies only seems logical.

Episode 8 releasing in may, would be too close to Rogue One, IF you figure Rogue one would be in theaters from December and likely all through January there would only be 3-4 months between SW movies. You need to give enough time between movies for the thirst to build again.

Makes sense.

Delaying it until December will give all the merchandise companies to make more money for Christmas.

Makes sense.

Delaying it until December will give all the merchandise companies to make more money for Christmas.

And gives Disney time to send out more DMCA notices for legally purchased merchandise and sue more fans.

Maybe it's me but I see this as nothing more then a move to cash in.

Well... yea. They make the movies to make money, too. Did you think they actually made these things just to appease the fans? No. It was to make boatloads of cash. They are going to work with the timing to maximize the profits. They are going to make marketing deals to make more money. That's how a business usually operates.

There's a reason we are call consumers. We consume. We pay for it, too. They are just filling out demand.

But, yea, I see where you're coming from. I've bitched about it in the past, too. It sucks, and it's for no other reason than just to maximize profits. Not to make come final changes, not to make it better. Just adjust the timing to make more money.

I'm a bit upset about it. I'd actually like to watch it this weekend if I could. :D Waiting 7 more months to see it?! WTF am I going to do with my life until then!?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if they're expecting the movie to break box office numbers like Force Awakens they are crazy...that was a once-in-a-generation type of thing where people were anxiously awaiting a new non-Lucas and non-prequel SW movie...now with Disney set to release standalone SW movies every year along with the main movies, the nostalgia will subside and the box office numbers will normalize...I'm sure Episode 8 will still do well financially but it won't do as well as Force Awakens

It works with Marvel. So of course they will do it with starwars.

Finally other people said it. I'm waiting for my first friend on FB to throw a geek shit fit. But they all grinned and liked it. I blame a liberal arts education, it must have caused brain damage.

They are probably expecting a longer than normal DVD, BluRay and Streaming run for the current one and don't want it to interfere with the new movie :)

Luke reduced to a Cameo seemed odd to me. Two reasons came to mind. They want to pace the nostalgia, Heavy Han Solo in the first, heavy Skywalker in the second.

Or Hamill's acting skill is too sub-par for today and they hacked his part to a cameo. There may be a change of mind whether to repeat that for the next, whether to include more or keep it to a minimum. Ford supposedly signed up for another. They may have opted for more Solo in the next and less Luke.

If you're going to copy one of the earlier films why not copy the copy. Its the safe thing to do.

It works with Marvel. So of course they will do it with starwars.

I think the real reason for the "move" is so not to compete with themselves, that is Marvel Cinematic Universe. Guardians 2 is set to open May 2017. And Rogue One wont compete with Dr Strange, which opens six weeks earlier.

From here on out- Christmases will be Star Wars laden.

Luke reduced to a Cameo seemed odd to me. Two reasons came to mind. They want to pace the nostalgia, Heavy Han Solo in the first, heavy Skywalker in the second.

Or Hamill's acting skill is too sub-par for today and they hacked his part to a cameo. There may be a change of mind whether to repeat that for the next, whether to include more or keep it to a minimum. Ford supposedly signed up for another. They may have opted for more Solo in the next and less Luke.

If you're going to copy one of the earlier films why not copy the copy. Its the safe thing to do.

They will be stuck with a lot of flashbacks to keep Solo in it. I don't see how they can't have more Luke in the next one. Even if he gets offed early he has to be in it as finding him was the driving force of this one.

I think the real reason for the "move" is so not to compete with themselves, that is Marvel Cinematic Universe. Guardians 2 is set to open May 2017. And Rogue One wont compete with Dr Strange, which opens six weeks earlier.

From here on out- Christmases will be Star Wars laden.

Yeah, with Potter and now Hunger Games over with, there's room for a family-friendly action series in November/December again :D

All you guys crying on this thread about how "bad" the universe/movie is or that "zomg Disney money" do know that you are not required to see it, right?

You would think by the reactions on this thread that it was required viewing.

Back