Nielsen Is Going To Read What You Say About TV On Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now that Facebook is handing over everything you say about TV shows to Nielsen, we should all just start making up random crap about what we watch.

Now, though, Facebook is going to allow Nielsen to track conversations you have with Facebook friends even if they’re not marked public. The company won’t have access to direct messages, but it will see things like status updates or messages posted to someone’s feed, as you get terribly excited about America’s Next Top Model or whatever it is you watch in your spare time, say.

Write everything in Klingon or Elvish... that will mess up their algorithm.

And then they'll find that guys are only talking about the women on the Weather Channel. :D

And if you have Windows 10, it will just upload a list of whatever shows you have downloaded and how many times watched. ;) Oh wait I forgot, the whole files are already out there... :D

Well, if you are a fan of network or cable TV shows this is a good thing ... although Netflix and Amazon and Hulu shows don't depend on rating numbers for survival, the Network and Cable shows do ... anything that prevents the networks from prematurely cancelling a show or series is a positive ... if you aren't a fan of TV shows then this won't affect you as you are unlikely to be discussing shows in your feed

It's probably time to start revamping how ratings are calculated. I'd happily give my feedback directly to them...

Thats cool because most people I know don't talk about tv. They talk about Jessica Jones, Making a Murderer, and Master of None, all Netflix shows. Take that Nielsen!

Interesting. I hope this doesn't end up being the end to Niselson family! I love my $30 a week for writing down what I watch.

Bah. Said it once said it 100 times. If you dont pay for it your the product. Just another small reason i do not use facebook.

This is disconcerting to me.

It may just be time to stop using Facebook.

I know it was never particularly private to begin with, but this seems like a new low.

Zarathustra[H];1042094608 said:
This is disconcerting to me.

It may just be time to stop using Facebook.

I know it was never particularly private to begin with, but this seems like a new low.

To further clarify, its one thing if Facebook in an autonated process assigns keywords to my posts, and trends then to come up with an ad profile for me, like Google does.

This type of process is fully automated and its not like someone is reading your posts.

It's another thing all together, if they are sharing my posts marked "friends only" with a third party. If they are sharing my posts with Nielsen, who else are they sharing them with?

The Google like approach I'm mostly ok with. It's pretty much inevitable in today's market. This, I am.not OK with at all...

Nielsen's a dinosaur that doesn't have a clue about what's going on. They're just trying to string their customers along a bit longer before they collapse.

Back