AMD Reports 2015 Fourth Quarter and Annual Results

HardOCP News

[H] News
​AMD today announced revenue for the fourth quarter of 2015 of $958 million, operating loss of $49 million and net loss of $102 million, or $0.13 per share. Non-GAAP(1) operating loss was $39 million, non-GAAP(1) net loss was $79 million and non-GAAP(1) loss per share was $0.10. “AMD closed 2015 with solid execution fueled by the second straight quarter of double-digit percentage revenue growth in our Computing and Graphics segment and record annual semi-custom unit shipments,” said Dr. Lisa Su, AMD president and CEO. “While 2015 was challenging from a financial perspective, key R&D investments and a sharpened focus on innovation position us well to deliver great products, improved financial results and share gains in 2016.”

Jeez, those numbers are terrible... how long?
Man, I'm hoping sales tick up for them, but jeez.
They are placing a lot of eggs in polaris... hopefully there is also a polaris 'CPU' also.

They are placing a lot of eggs in polaris... hopefully there is also a polaris 'CPU' also.

It's called Zen,

AMD is spinning off their graphics and calling it the Radeon Technology Group. This will make it easier to sell. And they likely will sell that graphics division to keep the core business working (CPUs) long enough for Zen to reach market.

AMD is spinning off their graphics and calling it the Radeon Technology Group. This will make it easier to sell. And they likely will sell that graphics division to keep the core business working (CPUs) long enough for Zen to reach market.

Other than the influx of cash this seems like a very bad approach for AMD ... they are already equivalent to NVidia (in revenues) with the combined CPU/GPU business model ... if they split the two apart then they will be half the size of NVidia and a 20th the size of Intel ... that doesn't seem like a recipe for effective growth ...

also, the chipset model has been very lucrative for Intel and it would seem that leveraging their Radeon technologies to either integrate the CPU/chipset functionality or provide full featured chipsets, like Intel, would be a better play for them

Yeah, they their cash on hand to last until Q2 2017.

Zen is supposed to launch in Q4 2016 or Q1 2016.

Latest rumors have Arctic islands hitting in late 2016 as well.

Hopefully this will result in decent revenues by Q2 2017, and stop their free fall.

K12 comes next, and hopefully will help as well.

The thing to watch with AMD right now is their burn rate. That's why they had their layoffs in 2015

This all depends on Zen, Arctic Islands and K12 all being good designs capable of being competitive with Intel and Nvidia.

If we get more of the same mediocrity, or another bulldozer, it doesn't look good.

Zarathustra[H];1042094661 said:

Hopefully this will result in decent revenues by Q2 2017, and stop their free fall.

The thing to watch with AMD right now is their burn rate. That's why they had their layoffs in 2015

This all depends on Zen, Arctic Islands and K12 all being good designs capable of being competitive with Intel and Nvidia.

If we get more of the same mediocrity, or another bulldozer, it doesn't look good.

CES interviews stated summer break/back to school season, this year for Polaris.

I always laugh at the non-GAAP numbers. They're always like $20+mil below (or above, if profitable). "And this is the number we arrived at if we make some shit up ..."

I'm sorry I wasn't paying much attention to future CPU products from AMD (If I was building another desktop it will be AMD no matter what, just to put money in the competition, seriously)
Zen looks good on paper, 40% more instructions per clock... I know that doesn't necessarily mean a lot.. but they are calling it high performance, who knows?
I mean it seems like a double whammy of better process and re-design.. hopefully it will pull off more than the typical 10%

They turned it into it's own development group which is how AMD used to be structured a long time ago, even with their different CPU divisions. They merged everything to heavily focus on APUs which AMD said was a failed strategy. That's hardly signs they plan on selling it.

Latest announcement is that it isn't called Arctic Islands at all, but Polaris and it's due out before back to school season.

They turned it into it's own development group which is how AMD used to be structured a long time ago, even with their different CPU divisions. They merged everything to heavily focus on APUs which AMD said was a failed strategy. That's hardly signs they plan on selling it.

Latest announcement is that it isn't called Arctic Islands at all, but Polaris and it's due out before back to school season.

Sorry, got the name wrong. We'll see on the timing

their stock is up 15.83% as of this comment today.
Penny stocks tend to bounce around a lot. :p

The 16% increase is equal to 29 cents, bringing it back up to $2.08 a share right now. Unfortunately AMD was trading at $3.00 a share 30 days ago. It's still down ~30% in a little over 4 weeks, which isn't really good news.

Penny stocks tend to bounce around a lot. :p

The 16% increase is equal to 29 cents, bringing it back up to $2.08 a share right now. Unfortunately AMD was trading at $3.00 a share 30 days ago. It's still down ~30% in a little over 4 weeks, which isn't really good news.

and 30 days before them being at $3, they were at ~$1.80.

They've never increased by 16% per day recently.

This news is directly related to the annual results.

and 30 days before them being at $3, they were at ~$1.80.

They've never increased by 16% per day recently.

This news is directly related to the annual results.
That's not the point. Anyways, AMD was at $2.22 2 months ago. The lowest AMD has closed in the last 3 months is $1.98, and that was only 1 day.

You're celebrating a single gain of 29 cents when AMD is still down by over 3x as much just from the last 30 days. AMD's stock price isn't due to "good news". The market still finds AMD's stock to be worth 30% less than it did about 4 weeks ago, even if it closes +16% today. lol, I can't imagine how it could be worse.

Everything is down this week. Way down. Fucking China

Which doesn't make any sense to me.

Some countries will be hurt by China, if significant portions of their economies depend on processing and exporting raw materials used in China's mass production economy.

For the US - though - while we do have some raw material mining/processing its not a major part of our economy.

A VERY small portion of our exports are sold to China. We primarily import from china, and their slowing economy will likely make these important cheaper, which should help us, not harm us (unless you are one of the very rare remaining low skill widget manufacturers in the U.S.)

Furrhermore, China's shrinking economy should lower OUR raw material costs, including oil, which also should help our economy (unless you happen to be in the oil and gas industry)

IMHO $20 oil does more good than it does harm, as consumers have more money left over after heating, electricity and driving to spend. Some industries will be harmed, but they are minorities.

The mass overall selloff is more of an indicator of irrational group think in the market.

Rational market my ass.

Heck, I'm not complaining though. Market lulls like this pay off for me, since I am still contributing to my 401k.

Zarathustra[H];1042096627 said:
Which doesn't make any sense to me.

Some countries will be hurt by China, if significant portions of their economies depend on processing and exporting raw materials used in China's mass production economy.

For the US - though - while we do have some raw material mining/processing its not a major part of our economy.

A VERY small portion of our exports are sold to China. We primarily import from china, and their slowing economy will likely make these important cheaper, which should help us, not harm us (unless you are one of the very rare remaining low skill widget manufacturers in the U.S.)

Furrhermore, China's shrinking economy should lower OUR raw material costs, including oil, which also should help our economy (unless you happen to be in the oil and gas industry)

IMHO $20 oil does more good than it does harm, as consumers have more money left over after heating, electricity and driving to spend. Some industries will be harmed, but they are minorities.

The mass overall selloff is more of an indicator of irrational group think in the market.

Rational market my ass.

Heck, I'm not complaining though. Market lulls like this pay off for me, since I am still contributing to my 401k.
It's about credit and high finances.. You are talking fundamentals.. There's a very serious crisis happening.. It's a system crisis which will then affect fundamentals as it always does because it slows or stops economic movement and makes the vicious cycle. The west has been drunk on credit.. The east is now drunk on credit.. Japan is all messed up. But hey Russia has a terrible credit rating with 15% debt to GDP and 1300tons of holding reserve.. High finances is funny legalized corruption. Has nothing to do with the rules you and I have to follow, nor do a lot of it has to do with fundamentals lately.. It's a messed up system.

Low oil = lost jobs. Venezuela isn't even breaking even on oil exports right now due to oil price. They have the largest oil reserves in the world.

China's dropped manufacturing (exports) is considered a show downward trend in consumer purchasing. However, the 2% drop has only caused a knee jerk reaction. It's simply a bear market, not a recession. These reactions are causing mass selling of China investments, as well as energy investments. While cheap oil(read: more supply than demand) makes investors think people are penny pinching. Even though cheaper fuel prices at the pump allows spending in other markets, it still must remain balanced. OPEC is flooding the market as punishment for domestic drilling/fracking.
This will all balance out. What is to be seen with the largest oil exporter(Venezuela) is still to come.

Back