Netflix Adds More Subscribers Than Expected; Shares Rise

HardOCP News

[H] News
While NBC and the other big broadcast networks are all busy playing the ratings game, Netflix just keeps doing its thing and adding subscribers by the millions in the process.

Video-streaming service Netflix Inc's quarterly subscriber additions topped its expectations, boosted by strong international growth, sending its shares up 8 percent in extended trading. Netflix, known for its original shows such as "House of Cards" and "Orange is the New Black", said it added 5.59 million subscribers in the three months ended Dec. 31, higher than its forecast of 5.15 million.

I almost canceled my Netflix subscription, but I have to admit they are knocking it out of the park with most of their original programming. They keep giving me Marvel TV, and I will keep paying!

I almost canceled my Netflix subscription, but I have to admit they are knocking it out of the park with most of their original programming. They keep giving me Marvel TV, and I will keep paying!

Yeah, their Marvel shows are actually interesting.

I kinda feel that those dark Street Fighter (or was it Mortal Kombat?) and Power Rangers fan flicks would probably hit off well on their network.

I let my sub drop when my card got a new exp date. I still have all my stock though. :)
I'll probably start it up again some time, but I also have other streaming services to use til I do.

Yep, same here.

I watch the movie line up sometimes. Wife watches it a lot more than I do. So, it's worth it there.

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Glitter Force (Niece loves this one!). They really make it worth the cost. I typically binge watch those, so even a single month is worth it for those. But, I've been a subscriber for quite a while. Never felt like a rip off, I've always been satisfied.

The broadcast networks have some decent shows. But, like CBS's streaming service - it's too much cash for what little they have. I look at Netflix more like HBO, a premium entertainment service.

I watch the movie line up sometimes. Wife watches it a lot more than I do. So, it's worth it there.

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Glitter Force (Niece loves this one!). They really make it worth the cost. I typically binge watch those, so even a single month is worth it for those. But, I've been a subscriber for quite a while. Never felt like a rip off, I've always been satisfied.

The broadcast networks have some decent shows. But, like CBS's streaming service - it's too much cash for what little they have. I look at Netflix more like HBO, a premium entertainment service.

My only wish is that somehow, Disney and Netflix could come to an agreement where the Marvel and Star Wars Disney Movie properties would show up on Netflix at the same time as the DVD/BluRay releases, rather than the usual 1 year later wait.

They already have some awesome exclusive Marvel shows - it would be nice to see some fruit bear from that exclusivity in the form of Netflix being a one stop shop for those IP.

Shares rose yesterday (high of 118.70), but bloodbath today (low of 97.83)

My only wish is that somehow, Disney and Netflix could come to an agreement where the Marvel and Star Wars Disney Movie properties would show up on Netflix at the same time as the DVD/BluRay releases, rather than the usual 1 year later wait.
That would be a terrible business decision. People actually continue buy movies, particularly blockbusters. My mom has an Amazon instant video library that's simultaneously great and awful; she buys all the superhero flicks (both for herself and her grandchildren) but she'll also rent or buy terrible movies that happen to be new to the service. In other words, even bad movies can make money during the window between initial home video (DVD/BD/online) release and potential migration to subscription streaming services.

Don't get me wrong, for the consumer what you're describing would be great. It will, however, never happen. I think we're seeing a very decent system develop, and I'm generally cool (there will always be specific things I'd like to watch but won't buy individually) with the way the media companies are doing their releases.

I resubbed at Netflix, after two years away, because of Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and I was not disappointed at all. They did a GREAT job with those shows. I can't hardly wait for more.

Back