Flying A Drone Deep Into A Glacier

I REALLY hope they were piloting that thing like that on purpose. They gave up some great footage in the hopes of showing the drone cage operating. Protection with no payoff seems kind of pointless.

yea I would have preferred to see amazing shots or delving deep into it instead of just bouncing off walls, they could have shown that off in the backyard.

I think some of you may be missing the point: you don't have to be a trained drone pilot to use this in the most extreme environments.

From the linked .pdf: "With its spherical, freely rotating protective cage, the drone remains perfectly stable after contacts, making it completely collision-tolerant and safe to fly close to humans. It was thus capable to easily access this extreme environment while being remotely operated by an untrained pilot."

This means, in the context of search and rescue operations, that you don't have to wait for a drone pilot to be woken up and flown in from dozens or hundreds of miles away; whoever happens to be on the field with the unit can immediately start searching with the drone, no matter if they've never flown a drone before.

To say nothing of the applications for the toy drone market where people just want to fly their drones without breaking them.

I think they only went down about 50 feet max. Not very impressive. You could put a camera on a stick to get down there. Or just poke around until you feel something warm. :rolleyes:

I think some of you may be missing the point: you don't have to be a trained drone pilot to use this in the most extreme environments.

From the linked .pdf: "With its spherical, freely rotating protective cage, the drone remains perfectly stable after contacts, making it completely collision-tolerant and safe to fly close to humans. It was thus capable to easily access this extreme environment while being remotely operated by an untrained pilot."

This means, in the context of search and rescue operations, that you don't have to wait for a drone pilot to be woken up and flown in from dozens or hundreds of miles away; whoever happens to be on the field with the unit can immediately start searching with the drone, no matter if they've never flown a drone before.

To say nothing of the applications for the toy drone market where people just want to fly their drones without breaking them.

We got the point. What we wanted was footage from the thing way down in the crevice.

Yeah, I get it. They were demonstrating that it could survive being knocked around and still take usable video. But why not get some cool footage while you're there?

Great. The cliche is that Mount Everest is littered with dead bodies because there's no practical & safe way to claim them and bring them back. Now features like this will be littered with drones.

What if I told you this wasn't a "drone"? :eek:

LOL! No, I realize anything flown or manned and has more than one or two propellers is now a drone....

Not very stellar and it looked pretty large for what they were attempting. If this was to show that any one can pick up this drone and attempt search and rescue that is a fail also. Before a proper search and rescue a team is gathered to ensure all safety precautions to ensure this is not another double rescue.

This footage would have been better with a selfie stick.

Back