Tidal Is Charging Ex-Customers $19.99 For No Reason

HardOCP News

[H] News
Any of you guys cancel your Tidal service only to be mysteriously billed $20 in the last day or so? The company is handing out free 90 day premium access as compensation for the screw up but even that seems to have automatic renewal attached to it. :(

Tidal, Jay Z's streaming music service, has been hitting some consumers with false charges over the last 24 hours. I know because I'm one of them — and I cancelled Tidal several months ago. This morning I noticed a $19.99 charge on my credit card, which is how much the company's lossless / hi-fi subscription costs per month. A few hours later, Tidal sent along an apologetic email and let me know that the money would be refunded within a few business days.

Didn't realize it was $20 a month. Thats a big premium to pay for Red Book quality. I could understand if it was DSD or something high resolution, but it's really just literal CD quality.

Didn't realize it was $20 a month. Thats a big premium to pay for Red Book quality. I could understand if it was DSD or something high resolution, but it's really just literal CD quality.

I wouldn't pay that much, but I suspect it chews 3x as much bandwidth (assuming 320kbs mp3 streams vs Flac 8). Artists and labels may also want more because one could conceivably create a bit perfect copy.

Seems like a bitch move to bring people back. Sorry we accidently charged you $20 even though you cancelled your service. How about you use our service another 3 months for fre.. well for $20 that we accidently charged you. We just need your credit card info one last time. We promise to be more careful this time.

Seems like a bitch move to bring people back. Sorry we accidently charged you $20 even though you cancelled your service. How about you use our service another 3 months for fre.. well for $20 that we accidently charged you. We just need your credit card info one last time. We promise to be more careful this time.

Didn't read the article eh ;) They got the money back and 3 months of service and it doesn't automatically renew when that period is up.

Or they are total scumbags and are kiting the charges to pay bills/earn interest, etc.

Sorry I accidentally borrowed that money from your wallet. You'll have it back in a few days.

I think it's worth it. Been paying $20 for a year now for Tidal HiFi and wouldn't stop any time soon. It's only the cost of about 2 CDs per month and its the highest streaming quality you can get at the moment being exactly what you can pick up at a store in CD form. Sure its not SACD or DSD high resolution but until that exists in a streaming service (not the Pono store, that is crazy priced) Tidal is the best out there.

Back