John Romero Releases First Doom Level In 21 Years

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The developer has just given you a reason to revisit the classic FPS. Romero was responsible for most of the design in the first episode of the original Doom.

"After exiting the Computer Station you knew the worst was up ahead. You still hadn't reached the place where the demons were coming from. The steel door shuts behind you as you realise you're there; you're at the Phobos Anomaly. Cracks from hell are all over the place as seepage from the portal invades the entire installation. Now it's time to find the portal and stop the demons from coming through. You know UAC had hundreds of scientists working at a high-tech lab somewhere."

Romero takes making you his BITCH to a whole NEW level!

Credit goes Xero, bluesnews forum

Just played through it and encountered a bug - or missed something obvious. You can't finish it because you can't exit the cacodemon room. Fortunately I remembered the cheat code.

I played all the way through Daikatana. While it was too over hyped and took forever to come out, I still found it relatively enjoyable.

Is John Romero still married to the Villain from Wizardry 4 ?

Or rather, to the Sir Tech employee who worked on the original Wizardries?

I played it, it is definitely tougher than the old levels.

Near the end, when in the room with 2 Barons of Hell, i'm not what triggers the exit to open. One time I played and it wouldn't open, the other time it did. Not sure what i did to get it to open. Might be some button has to be pressed before going in, to be able to get out.

Only found a few secrets.

So is this free to play? Would like to give it a try, but don't want to have to install a bunch of requirements or pay for it.

Tried to load it in doomsday engine. how do I load the level/wad. I keep getting main game.
Thanks

The initial "spamming for the F/S" section simply meant the user felt you were posting a lot of random posts to obtain the 100 post count required to comment and create posts in the (For Sale) F/S section.

Nothing more.

We all understood your post and quite frankly I felt it worked well and I don't believe you were spamming. If you posted "lol" then maybe, but you didn't.

Carry on.

Good to see that poster gone (thank god for [H] moderation, he was getting on my nerves).

It's not working for me in the Doomsday engine. Used gzDoom to load the file.

I have Rage, because I have an id Software boner, but I have yet but to play it.

Good, just in time!!
I'm almost done with Daikatana :)

John Romero is still a bitch after daikatana.

As a fellow programmer and a huge fan of his work, I have to defend Romero here. If he's got a flaw it is that he's cocky, or at least was in his 20's. The success he enjoyed at id went to his head. I mean, the dude owned multiple Ferraris and had a smoking hot gf (more below). It all came easily to him when he was working with other genius level minds. Wolf 3D, Doom, Quake... all classics. Out on his own it was harder. He drastically underestimated the effort it would take, or overestimated how productive his help would be on the project. The result was he missed the deadline badly, and released a rough product because of pressure from the publisher.

The whole "make you his bitch" thing originated from the marketing guys, though. At least that's what Romero is saying more recently about that ad. He regrets giving the ad his approval, and he's not claiming any credit for the concept.

Is John Romero still married to the Villain from Wizardry 4 ?

Or rather, to the Sir Tech employee who worked on the original Wizardries?

His wife, Brenda Romero, did work at Sir-Tech back in the day. Back then she was Brenda Garno, and later Brenda Brathwaite. On the early Wizardry games she didn't do any development. But by #8 she was doing the heavy lifting. I consider that one her magnum opus. It is kind of cool that two people involved in creating my favorite RPG series and FPS series ended up getting married lol.

you mean killcreek?

Romero was never married to killcreek. They were an item for four or five years, though, at the time he left id and founded his own company. Holy crap was she hot. She could kick ass in a deathmatch (that's how they met, she bested Romero at Quake and he has legendary prowess of his own) and she was hot enough for a playboy spread. There are pics if you look for them. This one is not from that shoot:

StevieCase03.jpg

Say whatever about the guy, but he was #Winning way before Sheen coined the term.

Just played through it and encountered a bug - or missed something obvious. You can't finish it because you can't exit the cacodemon room. Fortunately I remembered the cheat code.

idkfa? there were some other variations that slip my mind. they all started with "id" i believe.

idkfa? there were some other variations that slip my mind. they all started with "id" i believe.

idkfa gave you all items, iddqd was god mode, idkf reloaded all ammo I think, noclip for ghost mode...there's others but those are the only ones I remember (and will literally never fucking forget!).

Back