Facebook Getting People Arrested Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
I totally blame Facebook for this. If it wouldn't have been for the "like" button, this never would have happened.

Facebook users, beware: That tag you’re about to +apply to a post may be used against you in court. A New York woman faces a year in jail for violating an order of protection involving her former sister-in-law — because the violator linked the woman in a Facebook post that called her “stupid.”

This was her own damned fault.

If she was ordered to have no contact with a person through the courts, that means no contact...

Not in person, on the phone, via email or Facebook.

Now, I'd argue that a year in prison is somewhat excessive for calling someone a poopyface on the internet, but we don't know the level of harassment that may have taken place previously before the court order...

That and ancour order is a court order. You don't want to find yourself in contempt of court...

It wouldn't matter if she had written the most flattering comment ever written, the nature of the comment was immaterial in the face of the Court Order prohibiting all contact specifically including electronic communication.

She deserves her sentence.

Fully agree. She was likely either testing her boundries for the restraining order or really wasn't taking it seriously. So either defiant or disrespectful in nature. Either way, these orders aren't easily given out nowadays so I would imagine it was bad to get this far.

stalkers/harassers are creepy and scary serious business. To some it seems harmless but many times takes a serious turn that could have been prevented. Yea give her a year to think about it.

Since she's stupid enough to violate a PPO order from a court she deserves what she gets. She had to have messed up bad enough in the first place for them to get one against her in the first place. Give her the year in jail.

Yea Police use Facebook as well. There is plenty of stories of people doing stupid crap, posting photo's/videos on facebook or somewhere else. Then are shocked when police show up at their door step to arrest them when they posted their crime in a public forum. Some people are just stupid.

I don't use facebook; is tagging someone like messaging them? Sounds pretty stupid on her part.

I don't use facebook; is tagging someone like messaging them? Sounds pretty stupid on her part.

Yeah, if you post on your wall, and tag someone, they are notified of the tag, and invited to comment on that post, even if you are not "friends" on facebook

Back