Fallout 4 Beta Using Gameworks Technolgy

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Bethesda's Fallout 4 has been putting out BETA code for a while now making updates to the game that have been doing pretty well when it comes to delivering a better overall gaming experience. Today's Fallout 4 Steam Beta Update v1.3.45 adds a host of new features, including two NVIDIA Gameworks technologies; HBAO+ Ambient Occulusion, and FleX debris effects which will only be available to those hardware enthusiasts running NVIDIA video cards.

Finally fixed the Mcreedy perk bug. I loved having 95% head accuracy from and distance.

nice!...HBAO+ always looks amazing...maybe waiting to play the game will end up being a good move

There is no "settings" option when I right click.
Hmph.

Hmph.

You have to turn off things like Family Share etc in Steam, otherwise settings options do not appear.

Hmph.

I managed it but in a different way.
For those in the same situation...

Select properties
Select the Betas Tab
Tadaaa

You can get better effects through mods. You can also get better performance through mods. I would have liked to see DX12 support, cause that would have been something everyone could really use.

HBAO+ really adds a lot of depth to the scene. It's probably the one good consistent feature in the Gameworks library.

So is FleX meant to supersede PhysX? How is it being used in Fallout 4? Since it's highlighted as "Weapon Debris" in the options I assume it's for brass, impacts, and the like from using weapons.

HBAO+ really adds a lot of depth to the scene. It's probably the one good consistent feature in the Gameworks library.

So is FleX meant to supersede PhysX? How is it being used in Fallout 4? Since it's highlighted as "Weapon Debris" in the options I assume it's for brass, impacts, and the like from using weapons.

FleX is simply a new subset of PhysX instructions and technologies.

I have always had brass ejection and shell ejection. I was just playing around with it, and it seems to simply take chunks of walls and ground out when hit.

I don't see why Bethesda doesn't just take GPUOpen, then add all the effects it would have used from GW, then test it on a wide range of architecture generations and driver versions, then have something available for all GPUs, regardless of manufacturer.

They're going to feel really stupid putting out a GW FO4 update when faced against the tidal wave of GPUOpen titles. :ilovesarcasm:

You can get better effects through mods. You can also get better performance through mods. I would have liked to see DX12 support, cause that would have been something everyone could really use.

I'm happy with it just as delivered, not one mod running, game is great. Glad your enjoying yours but as far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with mine.

You would not believe what that would cost them to implement, they're have to totally re-write the renderer at least and possibly the engine over all. The engine they used is pretty dated (Gamebryo, modded up) and never designed for DirectX 12.

nice!...HBAO+ always looks amazing...maybe waiting to play the game will end up being a good move

Procrastination pays off again! :D I actually haven't found time (or made time) to play this yet. Now when I do, it will look better. :cool:

I don't see why Bethesda doesn't just take GPUOpen, then add all the effects it would have used from GW, then test it on a wide range of architecture generations and driver versions, then have something available for all GPUs, regardless of manufacturer.

They're going to feel really stupid putting out a GW FO4 update when faced against the tidal wave of GPUOpen titles. :ilovesarcasm:

Maybe the fact that GPUOpen only just launched less than a month ago?

Hmmm I have the steam Beta version but the new options are NOT showing up in the advanced area. Any thoughts?

Hmmm I have the steam Beta version but the new options are NOT showing up in the advanced area. Any thoughts?

Try doing the verify local content (or whatever it's called.) I've had to do this for other games that I turned on Beta access for in order to get the content to switch over.

I really do wish they'd get multigpu working in this game. When I drop to 45fps it's still ok. That drop to 30 though...its harsh.

2 questions

1, I see some people say this is based on Physx, if I've got a seperate dedicated physx card will the system use that correct since its physx afterall?

2, Couple people say it's F'd up the load times, is that on SSD? I just got an 850 just for this and a couple other steam games, Once I get it in I figure my load times should be much better. I tested it on my C drive SSD and load times went down to 12 seconds +- 1 , was sitting at like 30 seconds or so on regular platters. I've also got like 80 hours in the game so If its like other bethesda games over time load times get worse, period

2 questions

1, I see some people say this is based on Physx, if I've got a seperate dedicated physx card will the system use that correct since its physx afterall?

2, Couple people say it's F'd up the load times, is that on SSD? I just got an 850 just for this and a couple other steam games, Once I get it in I figure my load times should be much better. I tested it on my C drive SSD and load times went down to 12 seconds +- 1 , was sitting at like 30 seconds or so on regular platters. I've also got like 80 hours in the game so If its like other bethesda games over time load times get worse, period

1. If you have it set up to work that way through the control panel, yes.

2. Mine is off SSD, about 2X to 3X load times.

Hm, getting thrown out to desktop while loading saved games with this beta... set it back to non-beta, no problem.
Titan X in SLI (or single), 5960X on Asus X99-A.
Steam folder on 'normal' HD.
Anyone else seeing this?

I really do wish they'd get multigpu working in this game. When I drop to 45fps it's still ok. That drop to 30 though...its harsh.
If you have shadow distance on ultra or even high then you are never going to keep from dropping into 30s and 40s in some areas with that cpu no matter how much gpu power you have. Even my cpu will drop me into the low 50s and on rare occasions upper 40s. Turn shadow distance down to medium.

Do you have mods installed? Patches on FO4 have tended to reset the INI files so you may have to remove the resource dirs thing (which is known to screw the load times) and add back the invalidate archives line. Nexus has the proper instructions.
I dont have any mods at all and the load times are ridiculous with this beta even on an SSD just like he said.

The fact that the walls themselves just get a damage decal cancels out most of the immersion benefit of creating debris polygons from the impacts.

I'm glad I waited to play F4 with this being added. Only have three hours in and sans the graphics in some places, a great game.

Do you have mods installed? Patches on FO4 have tended to reset the INI files so you may have to remove the resource dirs thing (which is known to screw the load times) and add back the invalidate archives line. Nexus has the proper instructions.

Nope.

I wish the devs would release an update that makes Fallout 4 look next gen instead of like a game that came out in 2009.

3 questions.

1. Are those actually rough holes being created on the walls or just damage decals on a flat smooth wall?

2. Are the particles being physics calculated or are they just flying in random directions?

3. Is the debris size accurate to the amount of wall material being ejected?

I did see my load times increased. Steam is on a regular HDD. I also turned on HBAO, and after going back and turning off vsync in the ini file, I noticed HBAO wasn't that great. I may try it again...

I'm definitely impressed with this update. Not only does performance seem better across the board (even with the new eye candy cranked all the way up), but it looks so much nicer too.

As far as load times, I must be in the minority because they've definitely improved as well. I have it installed on a Samsung Evo SSD and the game, pre patch, took FOREVER to load. With this patch, it's probably cut in half. If I get time, I'll try and see if I can clock the differences.

Well i installed the update.

Load times are crap now. Also my hud no longer works. Went back to non beta load times back to normal, and hud works.

HBAO+ is nice though it did add some more image quality to the game. Will have to wait till it works properly but, looks promising.

just felt like posting, not sure why but my load times actually didnt change. Now I'm just using the super scientific method of counting in my head but I was 12-13 seconds before and I'm between 12-13 seconds now, even my FT times seem to be the same, about 8-10 seconds. I even did a quest, saved, closed the program, and came back in and tried a few other things, didn't seem to hit mine like you guys say

specs in sig. Hmmm, very odd, and yes this was back on the beta, these results were a few days old but I just had a kid so I was in the hospital for 3 days lol

My load times vary from about 1 second to near a minute now.
Before the patch it was close to 30 seconds max.

^^Forgot to say, thats using Borderless Windowed mode.
Using dedicated full screen it was taking minutes to load, pissed me right off.
Thats why I use Borderless now.

For those experiencing longer loads - I noticed when I remove the FPS cap my load times dramatically decrease - this includes running from a HDD. I had to use nvinspector to cap my framerate around 100 due to engine bugs but I definitely noticed it loaded faster. Running from a SSD obviously improved it further. I'll do some more testing to see if I can measure a placebo effect or not

Yes load times do seem to be strongly related to the max fps the system can achieve.
But I dont like my GPU running at 100% all the time and there are some game issues when running above 60fps.

I used msi afterburner to cap my framerate at 60, disabled in game vsync and changed ipresentinterval to 0.
If there is a better solution, I'm all ears!

Back