New Hitman Goes Fully Episodic

HardOCP News

[H] News
What do you guys think of this idea? I guess everything would be okay as long as the episodic content comes out on time.

The new Intro Pack, which includes Prologue and Paris will be priced at $15. Each subsequent location can be purchased for $10 as an add-on item after you buy the new Intro Pack. If you buy the Intro Pack and want to get into everything the Full Experience offers, you can also choose to buy the Upgrade Pack for $50. This will give you access to all of the content released after March 11th and guarantees you won’t miss any live or bonus content.

Fine with me as long as it is good. At least it is only $15 to try it out, or I can wait for it to be $30 after all the content is released.

No, I will just wait for the Gold version in a couple of years and buy it all for $20 or less during a Steam sale.

First with the FF VII remake being episodic and now Hitman going that route as well - I wonder if this will be the 'future' of AAA single player releases.

I'm not totally opposed to this idea as it would ensure releases are quicker - my main concern being they'll purposely pare down the episodic content to wring more money out of us. It could become like a pre-order 'season pass'. Pay upfront for an unknown amount of content.

Not too interested. I want the full game. This seems like the half ass game with extra DLC available to buy the full game. Of course, the price is right this time, so that's a plus.

Just feels wrong. If each 'episode' can be a stand alone game, sure. But, different parts of the same game? I'm not buying parts of a story. It works with games with no story (Doom), but not so much like this.

Yeah I will pass especially if it's episodic. Almost every "episodic" game ever released that wasn't an adventure game has never completed (I am looking at you Sin). Let me know when the full gold/ultimate/complete version comes out and I'll think about it since I wasn't exactly happy with Absolution when I preordered that one.

No, I will just wait for the Gold version in a couple of years and buy it all for $20 or less during a Steam sale.

Same here. Sin and HL2 taught me that, "episodic", really means "maybe well finish it".

Their original plan of "We'll charge you full price for the full games, and then slowly release content because did not finish it yet, but it is not episodic" was completely retarded. The way that Squeenix handles it's non-FF/DQ franchises makes me worried about episodic content, and I will wait until the full thing is out. Hopefully it works out for them.

There are a few very good episodic games like Life is Strange, and a few Telltale games. Wanting customers to keep buying in the game is great motivation for developers to have a good plan, and good content.

I'll be keeping an eye out.

There are a few very good episodic games like Life is Strange, and a few Telltale games. Wanting customers to keep buying in the game is great motivation for developers to have a good plan, and good content.

I'll be keeping an eye out.

Life is Strange is something I need to check out, heard a lot of great things about it.

This worked out really well for HL2.

18 to 20 months between episodes, then "fuck it".....

I'll pass.

Keep in mind with Half Life that was Valve, who controls their own games. This is a franchise owned by a publisher who can have the game developed by any group of developers they own. So this is more likely to work out than the Half Life series.

So.. Less content for more money? That seems to be what "episodic" really means. At least when it comes to the vast majority of developers.

First with the FF VII remake being episodic and now Hitman going that route as well - I wonder if this will be the 'future' of AAA single player releases.

I'm not totally opposed to this idea as it would ensure releases are quicker - my main concern being they'll purposely pare down the episodic content to wring more money out of us. It could become like a pre-order 'season pass'. Pay upfront for an unknown amount of content.

The problem with your statement is that FF VII really isn't going episodic. At least not how all other games are. They are completely redoing the game from scratch with a new storyline. This new story will take place over the course of 3 full games. So just like how there is Final Fantasy X and X-2, you will have FF VII, FF VII - 2, FF VII - 3. They are each a full game with a completely separate part of the storyline. Which there is more that just the one game in the series now to be honest. They have the original game, a mobile episodic series, 2 other games and 2 films. So they can mix that all together into 3 games that spans the entire universe.

I am less worried about episodic killing games and DLC doing that. Some games do good with their release of DLC. While others like Battlefront are designed to just rape you from the start.

Life is Strange is something I need to check out, heard a lot of great things about it.

Microsoft has it on sale over the holiday so I got it on the Xbox one around Christmas. It is a good game. Fact that they refer to this as season 1 makes me think they will have a season 2 (which is rumored) so it will be interesting to see where the story goes. Maybe it will explain the most important missing part of the story to us lol. But it is a good game.

I wonder what happens if they get through a few episodes but then the sales start to fall off. Do they continue releasing episodes or do they say 'fuck it' and cancel it due to low interest. It's not like they're bound to a contract to consumers to release the complete series.

The problem with your statement is that FF VII really isn't going episodic. At least not how all other games are. They are completely redoing the game from scratch with a new storyline. This new story will take place over the course of 3 full games. So just like how there is Final Fantasy X and X-2, you will have FF VII, FF VII - 2, FF VII - 3. They are each a full game with a completely separate part of the storyline.

I dunno, I want to believe it's going to be less 'episodic' and more of a trilogy of full games (ala Mass Effect), but... I dunno. I don't think you come out describing the upcoming remake as 'episodic' if the plan was to release a trilogy of 'full size games'

I really hope I'm wrong and we do get something on par with a Mass Effect trilogy of games that also contains story elements from FF VIIs various sequels and whatnots.

So its $15 + $50. In other words, $65 for those that want to buy everything upfront. I suppose this is how they will increase the price of games. I'd rather just see a price increase. I like good DLC, but often times I don't like replaying a game 6+ months down the road. I forget how to play and forget small details. Take the Dishonored DLC. By the time I started getting as efficient at playing again a year later it ended (~5 hours total). I also forgot minor world details. Episodic gaming is not for me.

I was 100% on board to buy this game... now? Fuck you and your episodic gaming.

I got burned by Half Life episodes, and the SiN episodes, and I don't feel like playing 20% of the game at a time and having to wait months to finish it.

What the actual hell is so hard about making a good game, and selling it for X dollars? The more hoops you make someone jump through to enjoy a product, they less they will want said product. They just lost a sale here.

I dunno, I want to believe it's going to be less 'episodic' and more of a trilogy of full games (ala Mass Effect), but... I dunno. I don't think you come out describing the upcoming remake as 'episodic' if the plan was to release a trilogy of 'full size games'

I really hope I'm wrong and we do get something on par with a Mass Effect trilogy of games that also contains story elements from FF VIIs various sequels and whatnots.

They never called it episodic though. They said they are telling the story through multiple parts. People just assumed that meant episodic. So they came back and clarified that each part will be a complete standalone game it its own story.

http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-episod-1746564216

Of course we don't know if the stories will all be from the events of just the first game or what. But based on what they are saying there once they clarified everything there is supposed to be multiple full games ala Mass Effect.

I was 100% on board to buy this game... now? Fuck you and your episodic gaming.

I got burned by Half Life episodes, and the SiN episodes, and I don't feel like playing 20% of the game at a time and having to wait months to finish it.

What the actual hell is so hard about making a good game, and selling it for X dollars? The more hoops you make someone jump through to enjoy a product, they less they will want said product. They just lost a sale here.

Rooster Teeth talked about this about a month or so back when this first got announced. At the time it was even funnier as they were pushing back part one as they wanted to include more of the game in that part. To which they couldn't figure out why would you push back part one of a game to finish more of it if the reason that you are doing this in the first place is that you say that you were aiming too high with the game and can't finish it in time. Just delay the game and get it done as a whole instead of doing this shit.

Rooster Teeth talked about this about a month or so back when this first got announced. At the time it was even funnier as they were pushing back part one as they wanted to include more of the game in that part. To which they couldn't figure out why would you push back part one of a game to finish more of it if the reason that you are doing this in the first place is that you say that you were aiming too high with the game and can't finish it in time. Just delay the game and get it done as a whole instead of doing this shit.

Yup. Agreed, Why throw money at them a little at a time hoping they finish it?

That, and their pricing scheme, so even if I wait an entire "season" I'm only going to save $5? lol Episodes or not, a game (or part of it) is not as valuable anywhere near as much 6 to 9 months after it's initial release. My guess is some slick young VP convinced the guys up top "we can make an extra X amount of dollars if we release episodes, and charge a wonky price for them. We get more time to finish the game (or not) and we get more cash, it's win win for us!"

I don't advertise the ease of which we can go grab a pirated copy of this... but it's crap like this that really pushes people to steal. We want simple, fun, and fair price. By doing this episode crap, you just took away two of the main reasons for buying legit software.

Keep in mind with Half Life that was Valve, who controls their own games. This is a franchise owned by a publisher who can have the game developed by any group of developers they own. So this is more likely to work out than the Half Life series.

If you didn't know, Valve was doing that anyways. CS:Source and HL2 Deathmatch was contracted out. Left 4 Dead was a different studio, then Valve bought that studio. Then they let go of that studio. Then they continued contracting out that studio to continue with Left 4 Dead and CS:GO.

Valve can pretty much do whatever it wants. Sadly, when it comes to anything with a 3 in the title, they seem to fail to do it. TF3, DoD 3, HL3, HL Episode 3, Portal 3, Left 4 Dead 3, etc.

Anyways, I don't like episode gaming. Rip off or never completes.

Same here. Sin and HL2 taught me that, "episodic", really means "maybe well finish it".

...my main concern being they'll purposely pare down the episodic content to wring more money out of us. It could become like a pre-order 'season pass'. Pay upfront for an unknown amount of content.

+1 to both of these, as this is exactly what this "episodic format" will bring us.
At best we pay more money, at worst, it will end up like HL2 Episode 3 or SIN Episode 2.

If you like this game genre then this is an absolutely fabulous experience, great game and soundtrack. The kind of game you want to keep playing and don't want it to end. I picked it up purely on impulse after chapter 2 had just released and the episodes couldn't come fast enough.

You can always pick it up on a sale, also Square Enix is also having a limited edition version with a book of the game art.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/294053/life-is-strange-limited-edition-pc

Back