Amazon Prime Is Just $73 This Weekend

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you've been holding off on getting Amazon Prime for a price drop, make sure you hit this link between 9PM PT Friday and 11:59PM PT Sunday night to get one year of Prime for $73. For those of you not in the know, Amazon Prime gives you free two-day shipping, Prime Video, Prime Photos, Prime Music, the Kindle Lending Library and 20% off new video games and video game pre-orders.

Thanks. My sub reups on the 19th. Figured that was too convenient.

You could probably create a new account and build out your family members from that.
The only question is can you add someone whose subscription just expired. I'm not sure. I know if you drop someone there's a 6 months freeze.

That said, you could always use a different account for each person.

Buying a gift membership seemed to work last time there was a price reduction.

Last time gifts weren't allowed (at least not when I tried). The time they did this early last year (let's say 2 discounts back) it was allowed.

I just bought a prime membership yesterday for 99 -- did the amazon chat and they refunded me the $26 back to my card in about 5 minutes.

<3 me some amazon!

all I had to do was link them to the promotion link and done!

I'm set til some time in 2017 thanks to the Fire Phone. This is a decent deal for newcomers though.

I hope this can be bought as a gift sub and then once your sub runs out you can use it.

My prime ends early Feb and this would be great.

It's tempting. I don't order nearly as much on Amazon since I ended Prime (after the rate hike). The reason for that is that I've noticed they seem to artificially delay your packages. Even though I live near a distribution hub in Southern Nevada where my products often ship from, they seem to sit for 3 or 4 days before shipping. Obviously, you don't get priority in the queue, but I kinda feel this might be intentional since I'd get what amounts to overnight shipping anyways because of my proximity to the hub.

It's tempting. I don't order nearly as much on Amazon since I ended Prime (after the rate hike). The reason for that is that I've noticed they seem to artificially delay your packages. Even though I live near a distribution hub in Southern Nevada where my products often ship from, they seem to sit for 3 or 4 days before shipping. Obviously, you don't get priority in the queue, but I kinda feel this might be intentional since I'd get what amounts to overnight shipping anyways because of my proximity to the hub.

That started 2-4 years ago. It's obvious that they want you to pay the Prime tax. That said, if you use the video service and/or the music service, then it's probably a solid deal.

I live near two amazon distribution facilities (central Dallas/fort worth here) and I'm pretty new to prime, but seems like most stuff is "overnight" even though it's only 2 day shipping

I've been impressed with their "same day" stuff as well, a few things were pretty reasonable, like an extra 3 or 4 bucks, and I could have it in a few hours. Cheaper than going and picking it up myself!

Existing members: go to Amazon and talk to customer service via chat. Ask them for the discount. They'll give it to you without any trouble.

Oh, jeez, and I just let mine expire last month.... Assuming the deal is valid for expired accounts, I suppose I'll re-up.

I believe the same thing with me. They purposefully sit on your order for an extended time to try and force you into giving them more money for the same order. I don't see any benefit to becoming a member. I rarely ever need anything in 2 days, and if I do those purchases where I pay a little extra in shipping won't add up to $99 in a year. I'm surprised so many people cough up the extra money. :confused:

I'm surprised so many people cough up the extra money. :confused:

It comes in quite handy if for last-minute gifts (birthdays, holidays, etc). We definitely see the value in the faster shipping throughout the year.

Beyond that, we use Prime Video and Music on nearly a daily basis. Video alone (especially with their quality original content) adds enough value to make it worth the subscription to us.

When you order from the once a week at least and love the convenience of not having to deal with stores, retail associates, tax, etc. the small amount of 99$ is a blessing. Then there is the added benefit of getting several hundred pound tools shipped for free. Sure, they may not be 2 day, but the convenience of not having to load and unload them myself is well worth it.

I believe the same thing with me. They purposefully sit on your order for an extended time to try and force you into giving them more money for the same order. I don't see any benefit to becoming a member. I rarely ever need anything in 2 days, and if I do those purchases where I pay a little extra in shipping won't add up to $99 in a year. I'm surprised so many people cough up the extra money. :confused:

Screw amazon. They intentionally delay shipping out packages if you don't have prime in order to get you to pay for it. That's a shady as hell tactic. If I want something bad enough ill find it locally.

I've noticed they seem to artificially delay your packages. Even though I live near a distribution hub in Southern Nevada where my products often ship from, they seem to sit for 3 or 4 days before shipping. Obviously, you don't get priority in the queue, but I kinda feel this might be intentional since I'd get what amounts to overnight shipping anyways because of my proximity to the hub.

I've also noticed this, and it's just making me so annoyed with Amazon, that I've started taking some of my business elsewhere. I can see taking a day or even 2, but waiting 5 days before they even bother shipping it is like they are intentionally punishing me for choosing free shipping.

I have an order I placed on Monday. It went to shipping soon the same day, but it's now Friday and it finally says shipping today.

I don't order enough to justify spending the money on Prime.

I've also noticed this, and it's just making me so annoyed with Amazon, that I've started taking some of my business elsewhere. I can see taking a day or even 2, but waiting 5 days before they even bother shipping it is like they are intentionally punishing me for choosing free shipping.

I have an order I placed on Monday. It went to shipping soon the same day, but it's now Friday and it finally says shipping today.

I don't order enough to justify spending the money on Prime.

What did the order say the expected delivery date was? Are you still going to receive it by that date?

The last 2 prime 2-day shipments I've ordered have come in either 5 or 6 days *sighs*. I did get my prime membership exended by 2 months for free, however.

The last 2 prime 2-day shipments I've ordered have come in either 5 or 6 days *sighs*. I did get my prime membership exended by 2 months for free, however.
Actually this is a problem with the seller. If it was a marketplace order (ie not marked as sold by Amazon) some of the market place sellers don't send it 2 day. That happened once to me. It was marked as prime shipping eligible but the seller did not use 2 day to ship it out. Everything I have bought that was sold by Amazon though does go out 2 day.

I live near two amazon distribution facilities (central Dallas/fort worth here) and I'm pretty new to prime, but seems like most stuff is "overnight" even though it's only 2 day shipping

I've been impressed with their "same day" stuff as well, a few things were pretty reasonable, like an extra 3 or 4 bucks, and I could have it in a few hours. Cheaper than going and picking it up myself!

If you don't have the prime now app, download it. 2 hour shipping is often free.

As for overnight with prime, keep in mind that if this was 3 or 4 years ago, you would have gotten that kind of shipping without prime.

Actually this is a problem with the seller. If it was a marketplace order (ie not marked as sold by Amazon) some of the market place sellers don't send it 2 day. That happened once to me. It was marked as prime shipping eligible but the seller did not use 2 day to ship it out. Everything I have bought that was sold by Amazon though does go out 2 day.

Fullfilled by amazon in both cases... I got it with prime shipping.

What did the order say the expected delivery date was? Are you still going to receive it by that date?

The point is that they regularly sit on orders for 2 or 3 days. In the past, if you ordered before a certain time (let's say 3PM local), your order would ship that day.

The reason they do this because USPS, UPS and Fed Ex typically get packages to you in 1-3 days. It's hard to justify paying 80 bucks (now 100) if you save 0-1 day over prime's 2 day shipping.

Been reading the {H} for years and this thread almost made me mad enough to register.

WHY do you think Amazon has been offering these slight price reductions for Prime? There have several recent 'promotions' They are losing what their growth membership targets were projected as Prime is almost a scam now.

Has anyone actually read the terms now? No- no gift @ this price for any reason. Their streaming is almost a joke now. No such thing as real 2 day shipping with Prime, limited this, limited that, Prime members losing what they paid for in their libraries, higher prices in reality for using Prime options, etc etc etc. PLUS, the carbon footprint impact on the environment from UPS/USPS trucks etc is a real tangible entity now.

Anyone actually read the Amazon forums or browse the web about the state of Prime in 2016?

http://boingboing.net/2006/09/15/amazon-unbox-to-cust.html

Is the carbon footprint of UPS delivering a box of anything to my house worse than if I had to make an extra trip to get those items? Nope.

Been reading the {H} for years and this thread almost made me mad enough to register.

WHY do you think Amazon has been offering these slight price reductions for Prime? There have several recent 'promotions' They are losing what their growth membership targets were projected as Prime is almost a scam now.

Has anyone actually read the terms now? No- no gift @ this price for any reason. Their streaming is almost a joke now. No such thing as real 2 day shipping with Prime, limited this, limited that, Prime members losing what they paid for in their libraries, higher prices in reality for using Prime options, etc etc etc. PLUS, the carbon footprint impact on the environment from UPS/USPS trucks etc is a real tangible entity now.

Anyone actually read the Amazon forums or browse the web about the state of Prime in 2016?

http://boingboing.net/2006/09/15/amazon-unbox-to-cust.html

Carbon Footprint? Are you suggesting that if I don't get prime my delivery will have less of a footprint? I don't think so. USPS is always 2-3 days and Amazon is filling up entire trucks with packages either way.

I'm not sure what people are losing in their libraries. Note I'm not a huge believer in Prime, but it's not bad...just wouldn't be necessary if they didn't delay shipments of non prime users....raising the minimum for free orders also was a way to push people to prime.

No such thing as real 2 day shipping with Prime

Flat-out untrue. I get them in two days every time.

Also just confirmed my $73 renewal rate for this year. Just had to ask and they put up no struggle. If anything, Prime is worth the top-notch customer service.

PLUS, the carbon footprint impact on the environment from UPS/USPS trucks etc is a real tangible entity now.

In other words, it's Amazon's fault that we now order lots of things off the internet to our homes. It's Amazon's fault that we're increasingly becoming a society of shut-ins that have food delivered to our homes. It's Amazon's fault that the delivery business is now one of the most important industries.

And all of this is only bad because CO2 IS GOING TO KILL US ALL.

Kay.

Have to agree with this. I can't recall ever not receiving my packages in 2 days, some even being delivered on Sunday's.

Also, I got my first year of Prime for free with my Amazon Fire phone (and got the phone for right around $100) and I just hopped on chat with Amazon and was able to get renewed for $73 for a 2nd year. This was good timing as my current sub ran out in 3 days and I did not intend to renew at $99. We just cancelled my current sub while on chat and I was able to immediately re-signup at the reduced rate with no trouble at all. Chat said worst case would have been to re-signup at $99 and they'd just refund the $26. Amazon's customer service has always been awesome when I've needed it; this time was no exception.

Flat-out untrue. I get them in two days every time.

Also just confirmed my $73 renewal rate for this year. Just had to ask and they put up no struggle. If anything, Prime is worth the top-notch customer service.

Have to agree with this. I can't recall ever not receiving my packages in 2 days, some even being delivered on Sunday's.

You're fortunate. I've had it happen more than once. It's not the norm, but it happens, and that's pretty sad, since 3-4 years ago, I got most packages within 3 days without prime.

Back