Smartwatches Can Be Used to Spy On Your Card's PIN Code

HardOCP News

[H] News
Smartwatches can be used to tell the time, date, track your heart rate and now, thanks to technology, they can even be used to steal your PIN number.

French student and software engineer, Tony Beltramelli, has published his master thesis called Deep-Spying: Spying using Smartwatch and Deep Learning, in which he presents a new attack method that allows attackers to extract sensitive information like credit card or phone access PIN codes from motion sensors in wearable devices.

I guess the device itself would have to be hacked or preloaded with this code for this to work. Plus as already mentioned it only would work if the user was using that hand to punch in his pins. Interesting none the less and will raise security flags to these new devices.

Ya, it is an interesting proof of concept. I'll stick with my non-smart G-shock still. I like them better.

That whole chip and pin thing is looking a bit less secure. What with skimmers and now pin reading smart watches. Wonder how long before a fitbit type device gets similarly targeted?

Good luck hacking my $15 dumb LCD watch.
Tells the time & date and I don't have to worry about getting mugged for my watch.
Even better, if it gets munched or lost, it's cheap to replace.

sorry but this is pretty stupid... I don't feel any less safe with a smart watch, it's on the wrong hand and nobody enters a pin number like that

few things: how do you know when the user is going to go to an ATM? some people go less than once a month.

2nd: people don't wave and pick up their hands like that to type numbers in. its exaggerated so that the software knows the hand actually moved.

As with others, I don't think I ever enter my PIN with the hand my watch is on, so this doesn't exactly seem like a big deal.

Back