GoPro Cutting Jobs

HardOCP News

[H] News
GoPro Chief Executive Nicholas Woodman announced today that his company would be cutting seven percent of its workforce. Shares were down twenty eight percent in extended trading.

GoPro Inc said it was cutting 7 percent of its workforce and estimated revenue for the holiday quarter below estimates as it sold fewer action cameras than expected, sending its shares plunging 28 percent in extended trading. GoPro said it expects revenue to be about $435 million for the fourth quarter, well below analysts' average estimate of $511.9 million, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

When they release a 4k version at 60fps, they'll have more sales again.

How did no one see this coming with their insane prices on current gen stuff, lots more competition, built-in cams on many many drones, etc... this shouldn't be a surprise.

I wonder if they are being constrained on new product releases by not being given the newest sensors from Sony. If sony wants to privilege their own lineup over competitors, then they could throw a wrench into gopros expansions.

Sony already puts better sensors in their own cameras and leaves the scraps for gopro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATmyUzAxQas

This is the problem with relying on a competitor to supply you.

How did no one see this coming with their insane prices on current gen stuff, lots more competition, built-in cams on many many drones, etc... this shouldn't be a surprise.

This plus the whole dude bro extreme I'm-going-to-record-me-doing-everything fad has/is kind of dying off. No one's impressed with the extreme radicalness of it all anymore.

I wish they'd increase the size slightly to improve the battery life. I only get 1 hour with a Hero 4 black, it runs hot, and doesn't work with most sd cards. I can just see so many possibilities if their design team had more room to work with. I'd be happy if they implemented the waterproof usb power supply cable without taking up the bacpac slot, so you could use the touchscreen with an external battery.

Why? So people can record themselves getting fatter?

Adventure crazy types that they market to are .05% of America, and they already have a 1080p GoPro that's perfectly fine for uploading low resolution Facebook videos. Everybody else is fat and lazy.

They'll release that one soon... for $599.

Insane is right, $500 for a 4k 30fps camera with no ois... gimme a fucking break. Those $99 chinese cameras offer great 1080p quality at a fraction of the price.

They charge $250.00 too much for what the next brand can do and do it very well and in some cases even better. Shit there are action cams at Bass Pro shops that are just as good if not better and cost less than $200.00.

GoPro was overpriced junk from the start, I had the original and it was a let down. Fisheyes suck, period. If they made a camera with a proper rectilinear lens in say a 10mm equivalent f/2 - f/2.8 that would be great.

They have too many gimped models. Just make a consumer model and a prosumer model.

Did I mention how much fisheye sucks? I'd pay 500 bucks for a go pro that does what it does with a proper perspective out of the box instead of having to do it in software.

amen!

amen!

I've held off from upgrading for the last few iterations because they always dropped the bal lin one area. Mind you.. if you were fine with teh tradeoffs you still get some qulity footage out of them. But they always ask so much coin for them that they can eat a D, i'm not droping that much for something that skimps!

When they do at least 1080p120 without dropping spatial resolution to acheive it, and don't charge 730AUD for it... then they'll sell three to me straight up. Ineed to upgrade my HD HERO and a 3BLACK so i'm all on the same batteries and what-not once they decide they want my cash (and as i said.. i'm willing to hand it over if they stop shooting themselves int he foot each time).

This year.. no 4+ (or 5), so i'm left wanting and waiting again!!

Maybe I can pick up a Hero4 Session for cheaper soon then huh?

Just got a motorcycle and from what I've seen that little tiny thing makes a great chin mounted helmet cam.

Go pro... I am surprised it grew that large to begin with.
I suppose there is not that many products in that market, and that is how it grew at all I guess.

Why? So people can record themselves getting fatter?

Adventure crazy types that they market to are .05% of America, and they already have a 1080p GoPro that's perfectly fine for uploading low resolution Facebook videos. Everybody else is fat and lazy.

Hehe.. :)
I Agree, what the hell you need 4k at 60fps.. where is the compression to back that up?
Even with the compression where is the internet connection and hardware to watch that properly?.
4k barely makes any sense. Let alone if you cut corners in the lens light sensitivity and whole other stuff that go in it.
Jesus, I still can see proper 480p DVDs that look better 1080p content.. I guess its all about source, or how it was shot with what, heck if know.

I love my gopro 4 silver, what the hell are you all talking about. I have a Z1 gimble an it makes so damn smooth video. The free software is even good for what it does. The sony vs gopro can easily be fixed with the free software. I turn most of the features OFF on the gopro and then modify later with the software, makes for a way better picture. 1080p @ 60 fps is awesome.

Probably because of all the cheaper china based alternatives getting better. No way I would spend $400+ on an actioncam especially if I need more then one. I did purchase an Eken-H9 4k that does 1080p @ 60 for $50-$60. (also included all the attachments)

At this price.. I'll buy a few and don't care if they break or get lost. (well I do.. but not as much as if they were hundreds of $$$'s each)

Probably because of all the cheaper china based alternatives getting better.

Let alone Sony, Eyeshot, Contour, JVC, Toshiba, Ricoh, Polaroid, etc. There are tons of action cameras out there to choose from.

Let alone Sony, Eyeshot, Contour, JVC, Toshiba, Ricoh, Polaroid, etc. There are tons of action cameras out there to choose from.

Agreed. Gopro is not a bad camera by any means. They have just mastered marketing. They likely spend a ton there so I bet their profits aren't as good as they could be. I put a mobius on my drone and only goes to 1080/30 but it cost me $60 at the time so can't complain. I am always a hater of sony, but their action cam might be my next choice if an upgrade is needed.

When they offer a 8k/720fps version with changeable lenses and a homeless person to follow me around recording me for $99 I'll buy one.

Lol

Back