GoldenEye 007 Meets Unreal Engine 4

Man that sure does bring back memories. I'd donate to a kick starter if someone decided to remake Goldeneye 007 in UE4. Hell I'd love to see a AAA company pick it up and remake it.

I would definitely pay for a good remake of Goldeneye. So far, the efforts have been pathetic.

like FF7, i don't understand this one and peoples obsession with wanting it remade. You know it would never be the same.

It was good back then for reasons that consoles never had good FPS games and then the 4 player multiplayer.

Try playing that game today....it is terrible. I loved it back then but can't stomach it at all now.

Never saw the appeal of this game but then again, when it came out, I was playing Quake 2 in 1024x768 resolution with an OpenGL voodoo2 card.

Never saw the appeal of this game but then again, when it came out, I was playing Quake 2 in 1024x768 resolution with an OpenGL voodoo2 card.

This.

like FF7, i don't understand this one and peoples obsession with wanting it remade. You know it would never be the same.

It was good back then for reasons that consoles never had good FPS games and then the 4 player multiplayer.

Try playing that game today....it is terrible. I loved it back then but can't stomach it at all now.

And this.

Me and my friends still fire up an emulator now and then and play, it's still fun, I loved all the secret passages, weapons and gadgets. Proximities only, rockets only, slappers only. Tons of fun in that game for couch multiplayer.

Not sure if I prefer the remade graphics, though I have many fond memories of some good ol' 007 Goldeneye on the N64.

NO ODJOB ALLOWED!

The difference is more likely those who had 2-4 friends who could tolerate being in the same room with each other. Not an insult. I remember times when I liked playing n64 with four people and times when I was at home unshowered and half naked playing star control ii/doom/quake/rise of the triads/heretic and not wanting anyone to bother me unless it was online.

The difference is more likely those who had 2-4 friends who could tolerate being in the same room with each other. Not an insult. I remember times when I liked playing n64 with four people and times when I was at home unshowered and half naked playing star control ii/doom/quake/rise of the triads/heretic and not wanting anyone to bother me unless it was online.

A near perfect recreation of StarCon II has been available as freeware for the last several years with a separate downloadable star map. Did you ever take out all of the Su Matra's defenses with something silly like a single shofixti or pkunk ship?

A near perfect recreation of StarCon II has been available as freeware for the last several years with a separate downloadable star map. Did you ever take out all of the Su Matra's defenses with something silly like a single shofixti or pkunk ship?

Off Topic :

Pkunk yes, my respawn record is 43 lol. Praise that little ship.

Shofixti no lol.

I Love the remake btw. My favorite version when it came out was the 3d0 version. (Which I think Urquan Masters Uses) The music was increidble.

On Topic :

I was one of those guys who weren't "Pc or Game Console". I was fortunate to be able to get both. I worked for it, but my parents had no problems with me having 6 friends over all night, play video games, and lan parties. WHen I was a teen was very fortunate to have loving and understanding parents.

What made Golden Eye awesome was 4 player split screen multiplayer with 3 friends. Remaking it on PC totally misses this point. Yes you could play Quake 2 at 1024x768 on your PC at the time but you couldn't play it with 3 buddies on the couch with you.

Yep. It was all about friends. Same with Duke Nukem on N64.

I would definitely pay for a good remake of Goldeneye. So far, the efforts have been pathetic.

Actually I really enjoy play GE: Source. And I am amazed that a community developed it on free time and for free!

I was about to say something like this, but I think you said it better than I would have.

I never played any games on Gamecube, or N64. Tried a few times at a friends house and hated every second of it.

Anyone who has nostalgia for Goldeneye 007 has never played Perfect Dark.

PD was literally better than G007 in every single regard. Not a single aspect of that game was inferior. It had near PS2-level visuals on the N64 and featured full reload animations, full voice acting, cooperative campaign, fully animated cutscenes, huge open levels, a wide variety of weapons... the list goes on.

Goldeneye 007 was great for its time, but it was made completely inferior by its spiritual sequel.

Why this "map" (see: room) is trending is beyond me. 0.001% done with recreating GoldenEye into Unreal Engine... yay!

Yes, I'm a hater, but GoldenEye Source deserves much more recognition than this silly room reboot. That or the new Unreal Tournament... now there's something amazing and community-driven that is evolving on a daily basis. Talk about cool! :cool:

What made Golden Eye awesome was 4 player split screen multiplayer with 3 friends. Remaking it on PC totally misses this point. Yes you could play Quake 2 at 1024x768 on your PC at the time but you couldn't play it with 3 buddies on the couch with you.

YOU SON OF A BITCH! I'MMA KILL YOU! DAMMIT! HOW THE FUCK!? HA! GOT YOU YOU SON OF A ... WHAT?! HOW'D YOU GET ME SO FAST?!

Yea. Split screen was the best. It really made that game awesome.

Like someone mentioned - it's just one room in an entire game. It's small, but what they did do looks great. Just very small scale.

Now, we have online multiplayer with voice chat, much better graphics and sound, better controls, bigger maps, better game play. I don't think it'd age well if brought to the new time period. What would be cool is a new 007 game with these multiplayer maps (very small in comparison to today's maps) as a throwback for older gamers. Like Mario Kart having their old SNES maps.

make-it-so.png

And yet everyone is miserable.

Some people are just critics of everything. I like a lot of the newer games. I even have fun with Call of Duty. I'm not a die hard fan, but they are fun to play.

I'm happy with current gaming. I still love the old stuff, but you can tell when a game was one of the early ones of the genre and how much they've improved since then.

Some people are just critics of everything. I like a lot of the newer games. I even have fun with Call of Duty. I'm not a die hard fan, but they are fun to play.

I'm happy with current gaming. I still love the old stuff, but you can tell when a game was one of the early ones of the genre and how much they've improved since then.

I love old games. (and new ones...) However, there are old games that remain classics because they still stand on their own even now. This goes all the way back to some of the earliest computers and consoles. Some of my favorites then really haven't held up too well. I'll load them up, all excited to experience it again, and... No... Not working out. Then on the very same platform, another game I enjoyed is still perfect to this day.

I realize a lot of people liked GoldenEye, but like someone else mentioned, it was probably more because there weren't many games like that on consoles, four player split screen was new and fun, etc. There were a lot of cooler shooters then, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal, etc. It's just more people had the console, and more people thought of GoldenEye as cool because of it. I'm guessing many wouldn't still feel the same playing it again. I could be wrong, but it's definitely no Ocarina or Mario64 in the test-of-time. In my opinion of course.

It was a social game that was fairly easy to pick up and play and had some fantastic game modes (single shot and only proximity mines were always fun). We used to get a few beers and possibly some herbal supplements and play 4 player winner goes on. Good times.

Oh I also have a massive urge to buy an N64 and get Goldeneye, SM64, and the later Mario Party games suddenly! Nothing like Rape Bag game mode in Mario Party - and yes I have an emulator but it's just better legit. Wonder if my Sammy would upscale it to 4k ;)

fantastic game modes (single shot and only proximity mines were always fun). We used to get a few beers and possibly some herbal supplements

The mode is actually called license to kill.

People just like to bitch. There are more game options than ever, everyone who complains just isn't looking for the right games.

Since we arn't looking at the right games, then what games should we be looking at? I only know of the games I am told about.

Anyone who has nostalgia for Goldeneye 007 has never played Perfect Dark.

PD was literally better than G007 in every single regard. Not a single aspect of that game was inferior. It had near PS2-level visuals on the N64 and featured full reload animations, full voice acting, cooperative campaign, fully animated cutscenes, huge open levels, a wide variety of weapons... the list goes on.

Goldeneye 007 was great for its time, but it was made completely inferior by its spiritual sequel.

I had both, but enjoyed 007 more. Maybe because it didn't require the memory expansion.

Back