ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Impact Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a review of the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Impact posted today at Overclockers Club. For comparison purposes, you can see our evaluation here.

From the PCB up, ASUS ROG DNA is piled up in every corner of the board. Things like ASUS' Impact Power III 6+2+2 phase implementation of ASUS' Extreme Engine DIgi+ VRM controls equipped with Microfine alloy chokes, 10K Black capacitors, and Power PowlRstage® MOSFETs that allow it to overclock just as well as any ATX form factor board.

Another weak "review" that fails to mention the missing M.2 port under cons.

Anyone interested in this board should read the Anandtech review that, out of the three, seems to have the only balanced conclusion. HardOCP lost credibility after acknowledging the "oversight" but not correcting the review shortly after it was released.

Anyone interested in this board should read the Anandtech review that, out of the three, seems to have the only balanced conclusion. HardOCP lost credibility after acknowledging the "oversight" but not correcting the review shortly after it was released.

I won't buy it due to this missing port.

same here.

Last edited:
Too small and limited for me. The Gene VIII is the perfect solution for me right now.

It certainly is buzzword compliant, isn't it :)

I try to cut through as much of that marketing BS as I can.

It really was an oversight on my part. I've stated this a couple of times. I do not plug M.2 drives into these motherboards as of yet, which contributed to this. ASUS bet on U.2 instead of M.2 as being the better option for this motherboard. When they designed it, the Intel SSD 750 was the fastest and best possible choice for an SSD on this motherboard. The Samsung 950 Pro's came out later on after it neared release and was already designed. This is the explanation I received from ASUS on this point. Despite this one short coming I stand by the conclusion in the article. I feel that this is still the best performance option for a mini-ITX based system. I'd like to have an M.2 slot as well, but despite this caveat I feel that this board has the strongest VRM design and overclocking potential / features of any mini-ITX based motherboard I've seen to date.

Revising the article on the point wouldn't change that. It certainly is worth mentioning because people need to be informed as to the motherboards caveats, but again I stand by my conclusion whether you agree with it or not.

Back