HTC Vive Pre-Orders To Start February 29th

HardOCP News

[H] News
Pre-orders for the HTC Vive start February 29th. Anyone want to take a guess at what the price on this thing is going to be?

“Yes, smartphones are important, but to create a natural extension to other connected devices like wearables and virtual reality is more important," she said. Vive has been developed with game maker Valve, designed to fully immerse its wearer in their virtual environment while playing games. It will go on wider commercial sale in April, and will compete with Facebook-owned Oculus Rift and Sony's PlayStation VR as the technology finally enters the mainstream. Its price remains unknown.

One would think it's going to be priced to compete with the Oculus Rift. So I'm guessing around $600 +/- $100.

I think the Vive will be similarly priced to the Rift, but is unlikely to be much cheaper. I reckon Sony's will be the most expensive (by a decent margin), even if they're now back-pedalling on the leaked price.

I predict $699 to $799 based on the fact that they are including extra sensors, the VR hand controllers and the built-in out the front view camera integration. If they are willing to take a big hit just to beat Rift and establish market share/industry dominance in order to "own" as much of the market as possible early on, then I could seem them selling at a loss and going with $599 out the gate. Will be very interesting to see which way they go. I'd bet on $749 as a realistic pre-order price.

Careful not to trip over any cables and go crashing into your $1,500 gaming rig while utilizing the "built from the ground up for room-scale experience" Vive.

Honestly, the Vive is the most ridiculous VR concept on Earth. Valve literally recommends you move your furniture in their set-up guide. Yes, I know you can use it while seated. Why one would buy a eight or nine hundred dollar Vive and not use it as designed is beyond me though.

Careful not to trip over any cables and go crashing into your $1,500 gaming rig while utilizing the "built from the ground up for room-scale experience" Vive.

Honestly, the Vive is the most ridiculous VR concept on Earth. Valve literally recommends you move your furniture in their set-up guide. Yes, I know you can use it while seated. Why one would buy a eight or nine hundred dollar Vive and not use it as designed is beyond me though.

Hilarious how foamy at the mouth some people get - people that said VR will never take off - and now that it's actually happening are having to grasp desperately at anything to keep the hate tears flowing. Utter comedy.

Hmm, unless you are doing something very passive in VR like drawing, standing up is not the best idea... LOL!

If you are adventurous try standing up while playing a game for example like racing or even just TF2! It's a sure fire way to lose balance, fall, and probably throwup in the process if you try too many times. Your inner ear balance and visual queues will get totally confused.

Hilarious how foamy at the mouth some people get - people that said VR will never take off - and now that it's actually happening are having to grasp desperately at anything to keep the hate tears flowing. Utter comedy.

Let's wait and see the sales numbers over the next year to see if VR "Takes Off"

Between the high costs, motion sickness problems, and headwear that makes 3D glasses seem stylish by comparison, I'll wait and see.

I'll be very surprised if the first year sales of VR units comes anywhere close to the first year sales of 3D glasses for 3D TV's

Let's wait and see the sales numbers over the next year to see if VR "Takes Off"

Between the high costs, motion sickness problems, and headwear that makes 3D glasses seem stylish by comparison, I'll wait and see.

I'll be very surprised if the first year sales of VR units comes anywhere close to the first year sales of 3D glasses for 3D TV's
What were the numbers on those?

I'd like $350 but I fear after the rift that ain't happening, especially with the Vive having more equipment to it (cameras, etc).

So I'd say probably right on par with the rift at 600-700'ish.

All I havae to say is, I was looking forward to buying a headset and enjoying VR later this year, and that has swiftly changed now as well as most of the people I know that were looking forward to it taking a "wait and see" approach instead of the "OMG I can't wait to get mine."

I really really want VR to catch on an dbecome popular but a lot of normal people just aren't going to lay down 600 damn dollars for it, especially when you need a beefy pc to handle it on top of that.

I think Sony's VR is the best hope for "mainstream" VR. If it's 350+ then I have fears that the VR will end up being just like the VR in the 80's/early 90's, a flash in the pan that comes and goes. The same way the Wii and it's motion controls ended up.

I think it'll be around the Oculus price. Possibly more because it does more. Sony on the other hand may use theirs to drive PlayStation sales and make it PS only. If they do that, I can see it being cheaper.

The issue is that the consoles are too underpowered for these things. So we may not see mainstream adoption outside of PC gamers/enthusiasts until the price comes down and/or a new round of consoles is released. Microsoft would likely do something with their Hololens project for that.

Also, I'm curious to see a BOM takeoff of the Rift. I'm finding it hard to believe it cost $600+ to build that thing when there's smartphones with similar tech and 4k screens that cost about $300 to build. I'm guessing they're heavily factoring in R&D/software costs.

It'll likely be more expensive than the Oculus Rift due to including motion controllers with it instead of an Xbox One controller. I predict a $699 USD price tag at least. If they somehow match (or miraculously beat) the Oculus Rift's price then that could spell serious trouble for Oculus.

Saw it at CES, I think it'll be more than $700... I'd say around 800ish

another Valve bashing post...anything to do with Valve and you can be sure that crusty will come along to bash them

If I'm willing to sink rift money, I would rather sink vive money... The vive on paper looks much better, I like the idea of a square to walk around, and the front camera.

If I'm willing to sink rift money, I would rather sink vive money... The vive on paper looks much better, I like the idea of a square to walk around, and the front camera.

It sounds better, but I doubt it will be better initially. I love the idea of a virtual room and moving around, but all the Vive demos had somebody moving the cable around for them. Are you going to have to buy a damn rolly cart, like for an IV bag to play games? How am I going to avoid tripping over that? I guess I can just have my butler "jeebs" follow me around while I game.

I haven't had the luxury of using the rift cv1 or the vive, but all the reviews say the optics and visuals are more appealing on the rift. So were the ergonomics. That's really all that is going to matter on Gen1. Most of the games that are going to be good are going to be sit down or minimal movement. It's going to take years for them to figure out all the mechanics of full room games. That includes both HW and SW. To avoid massive rooms and wall issues, I suspect the final iteration will include some type of harness w/ onmidirectional treadmill. They already have the virtuix omni treadmill, but it's more like skating than running/walking.

Anyways, on price I suspect the Vive will be at least $100-200 more than rift. You have the controllers and the dual lighthouse. So my guess would be closer to $1000. They might make it $699-799, but $899-999 would be my guess. HTC has to make a profit, they are losing money on everything and don't have facebook to bankroll their development. I don't think this will end well for them, but they could surprise us all.

I think a price of $999 would get them the same reaction as the Oculus got. Load pre order page, stare at it for a few minutes, then close browser...

I hope it isn't much more than the Oculus, but bracing myself. I think I'd go as high as $800

I think a price of $999 would get them the same reaction as the Oculus got. Load pre order page, stare at it for a few minutes, then close browser...

I hope it isn't much more than the Oculus, but bracing myself. I think I'd go as high as $800

I don't see how the Vive wouldn't be more than the Rift, because it comes with the tracking devices (Lighthouse) which Rift does not and will be sold separately whenever they figure out how to actually finish it later this year.

Vive is the one to go with in any case. Valve's biggest team is working exclusively on VR, so all the people saying "hurr Valve doesn't make games anymore" have a rude awakening ahead.

Have you used it? Sounds like you haven't. I have and it's awesome! It's way better than oculus (used that too) by far. I'm putting it in my basement where I have room, and year, it's worth moving your furniture for.

Hmm, unless you are doing something very passive in VR like drawing, standing up is not the best idea... LOL!

If you are adventurous try standing up while playing a game for example like racing or even just TF2! It's a sure fire way to lose balance, fall, and probably throwup in the process if you try too many times. Your inner ear balance and visual queues will get totally confused.
It's not as bad as you describe by far! The cables start at the top of your head and fall behind your neck/back, you have a very good feeling / idea of where they are. Also I felt ZERO balance issues or motion sickness, and I'm prone to it.

my guess is $999 - and it's worth every penny IMO. Two controllers (oculus doesn't have) and two laser sensors (again, oculus doesn't have) plus a front facing camera.

I'll throw in my guess at $1,300.

It's not as bad as you describe by far! The cables start at the top of your head and fall behind your neck/back, you have a very good feeling / idea of where they are. Also I felt ZERO balance issues or motion sickness, and I'm prone to it.

Hmm, I was just writing what I've seen and experienced. I don't generally have any motion issues, but had to rely on training to keep balance and don't enjoy standing up with VR gear in general.

I'll throw in my guess at $1,300.

Hmm, I was just writing what I've seen and experienced. I don't generally have any motion issues, but had to rely on training to keep balance and don't enjoy standing up with VR gear in general.

I used the vr apps with the nexus 6 first thing I did was stand up and wished it to respond to moving a bit... I think I would enjoy the vive way more because of that.. I know a 15 feet by 15 feet square is not a lot, so I don't expect it to be like you are running around. But I think it would allow you to interact better with the floor ( as in things on the floor) and stuff like that. I think moving around makes a huge difference... The wire stuff is a non issue I don't think any of these have a strong connection, odds are you would just pull them out before there is any trip and fall.

Back