Apple Music Reportedly Tops 10 Million Paying Subscribers

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
So Apple Music is already half as large as Spotify’s paid userbase already. Any thoughts on the service? Google Music and Poweramp guy here, so no comment.

The growth of Apple Music relative to Spotify is impressive; it took six years for Spotify to report 10 million paid subscribers. Apple Music has achieved that number in a little of six months. However, it is important to remember that much of Spotify’s business is derived from free users as most customers use the free ad-supported version.

Already content with free Spotify, Google Music and Soundcloud (using My Cloud Player). Apple Music app crashes and it keeps nagging for a subscription to listen to free radio.

So Apple Music is already half as large as Spotify’s paid userbase already. Any thoughts on the service? Google Music and Poweramp guy here, so no comment.

The growth of Apple Music relative to Spotify is impressive; it took six years for Spotify to report 10 million paid subscribers. Apple Music has achieved that number in a little of six months. However, it is important to remember that much of Spotify’s business is derived from free users as most customers use the free ad-supported version.

I used the paid subscription for Spotify and loved but moved to Pandora free to save a few bucks.

after trying apple music's free month I'm willing to pay for it. It is easily the best music streamer on the market.

Anyone else see "10 million subscribers" and go..."really? that small? and they're proud of it?"

Does it still sound like crap? I don't have super hearing but could easily tell a difference between Apple and Spotify in sound quality.

Does it still sound like crap? I don't have super hearing but could easily tell a difference between Apple and Spotify in sound quality.

Funny...last time I used Spotify it sounded like crap.

Nothing makes your music streaming service more laughable than applying a bass-heavy tinny rock EQ to something acoustic harpsichord.

Funny...last time I used Spotify it sounded like crap.

Nothing makes your music streaming service more laughable than applying a bass-heavy tinny rock EQ to something acoustic harpsichord.

Spotify with "high quality streaming" enabled sounds quite good. Not sure what the EQ has to do with the conversation. It's off by default.

Anyone else see "10 million subscribers" and go..."really? that small? and they're proud of it?"

Spotify released in 2008, Apple music released in 2015.

I'd be happy with 10 million subscribers in over half a year.

You, as most folks, would be...but this is Apple we're talking about.

You do make a valid point. I think Apple is experiencing the stiff competition from a saturated market, where the free services are "good" enough.

I have the "Family Plan" so that my wife can simultaneously listen to music.

I am not particularly happy spending the money*, and I did have Spotify some time back and canceled it. However, as usual, Apple's integration with everything else is what makes me keep it. Having it work in conjunction with my library and iTunes is fantastic.

* I justify it to myself with Audacity......

Also the free Spotify is NOT what I want. I do not want a radio or playlist type thing. I want to be able to go to a very specific song and play it when I want to. I totally get the free Spotify model, but I do not like it.

I think both services are great, though I am sticking with Apple Music for now as I like the UI a bit better. I hate the free options for Spotify (and Pandora as well). I am surprised subscription numbers for the big services are as low as they are, I find a ton of value in unlimited music anything I want for $10/month.

I think both services are great, though I am sticking with Apple Music for now as I like the UI a bit better. I hate the free options for Spotify (and Pandora as well). I am surprised subscription numbers for the big services are as low as they are, I find a ton of value in unlimited music anything I want for $10/month.

Despite what you hear on CNN, many people don't actually have $10 a month to spare.

Because people are happy with free streaming and limited commercial use.

FM is still huge because its free in your car and its really easy.

Despite what you hear on CNN, many people don't actually have $10 a month to spare.

Doubt money is a factor. Smart consumers just don't see the point of paying for something that's normally free like radio. And, if you want to play stuff you've already heard that's what SD card or OTG flash memory are for unless you're on iOS where you to have to pay for its deficiencies.

Doubt money is a factor. Smart consumers just don't see the point of paying for something that's normally free like radio. And, if you want to play stuff you've already heard that's what SD card or OTG flash memory are for unless you're on iOS where you to have to pay for its deficiencies.

Again, you missed the point entirely. "Radio" is not an acceptable form of music distribution for MANY people. Both in content and control. I do not listen to the radio, but I listen to music constantly through out the day.

And what the hell does an SD card have to do with anything? My phone has more then enough space for the songs I want to have with me. It's the songs I don't know that I want to have that an al-a-cart service caters to. Being able to just look up any song (within reason) and play it right then and there is what services like Spotify (premium) and Apple Music cater too.

Your Apple hatred blinds you in almost every single thread you post in that's related to Apple in any way.

Which is less than half as many paid subscribers as satellite radio has. And Apple Music is global whereas SiriusXM is USA only.

When I looked at SiriusXM it was exclusively because of traffic and "talk" radio. This isn't something you can get through Apple or Spotify.

SiriusXM does offer something that they music only services do not offer.

I find myself listening to way more types of music and more music overall since switching to these services. Before this I had all of the music I would regularly want to listen to on a 4GB music player. Now I listen to everything from Insane Clown Posse to metal bands that perform with orchestras.

All these streaming subscriptions are way too expensive. You pay for temporary access more per month that I usually spend on music to have 'permanently'.

There are tons of free podcasts etc. services for free to compliment that. Perhaps 99% of music I listen on work trips etc. comes from podcasts.

Back