Sony’s Attempt To Trademark “Let’s Play” Denied

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Sony’s scheme to trademark a phrase that has been used for over a decade in the gaming community has fallen through (for now).

if Sony does find a way to acquire the trademark—which it can do by successfully arguing against the USPTO's refusal within six months—then it's plausible that the company could prevent competitors like Microsoft and Nintendo from using "let's play" in conjunction with any of their game streaming or broadcasting. The bigger question mark is just how this trademark would affect those who don't directly compete with the company, like YouTube streamers, but still use that phrase to describe the same kind of video game streams.

What, someone actually did their job in the USPTO?

219316-shall-we-play-a-game-606-x-406_slide.jpg

then it's plausible that the company could prevent competitors like Microsoft and Nintendo from using "let's play" in conjunction with any of their game streaming or broadcasting.

Do any of them currently use Let's Play in that sort of context? This just seems more like a dick move against gamers really. Similar to Konami enabling revenue (for themselves) on ANYTHING related to their games. Which I'd be more okay with if the streamer has ads, but they do it to videos without ads/revenue.

Or Nintendo's fucked up stance on Let's Plays. I can't see anything good coming of this if they are awarded the trademark and I doubt it's just preemptively trying to take it away from Microsoft or Nintendo.

Children have been using this phrase ever since language was invented.

Rooster Teeth starting using the term before it became really popular. They even hold the YouTube channel lets play and have for a very long time. Can't wait to see their reaction to this

Rooster Teeth starting using the term before it became really popular. They even hold the YouTube channel lets play and have for a very long time. Can't wait to see their reaction to this

It's a term that goes way back beyond that. For gaming and other things...

Back