YouTube Exec: Digital Video Will Far Surpass TV By 2020

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The “when” may still be up for debate, but the reign of digital video is much more certain.

Driving this digital push is the growth in content being consumed through mobile devices. Calling digital video "inherently mobile," Kyncl stressed that as small screens become sharper, brighter, and better-suited to displaying high-quality video content, the drift away from the living room television and on to laptops, phones, and tablets will be even more pronounced.

I think it will be at least a couple of years before then

I don't care how sharp or bright my phone or laptop display is, it's still too small.
If I'm going to watch a movie, I'd rather watch it on my TV with surround sound.

Only time I would watch something on my phone or laptop is if I'm stuck waiting a long time with nothing else to do.

Plus current mobile device screens are already extremely sharp, bright and high-resolution, to the point where they're sometimes considered overkill.

I don't care how sharp or bright my phone or laptop display is, it's still too small.
If I'm going to watch a movie, I'd rather watch it on my TV with surround sound.

Only time I would watch something on my phone or laptop is if I'm stuck waiting a long time with nothing else to do.

yep, the only thing I could see replacing my surround sound setup and 100" projector is HMD and VR.

I would never ever consider watching any content longer than a few minutes on a phone or tablet instead of on a larger screen.

I think the youtube people worded this wrong and really mean that people watching youtube content on mobile devices will reach bigger numbers then people that watch traditional content on TVs.

That doesn't mean people don't want quality content on large displays, it just means when people are out and about , they are consuming content.

they watch content in the bathroom, they watch in their beds, in cars , at school and at work.

They don't mind using a mobile device typically it isn't worth viewing it on a larger screen , or they aren't in a location to access one.

Youtube also might fall into the thinking that everyone is living in a dense urban space were rent is expensive and having a large TV or a tv at all doesn't make sense for a lot of people.

That is true in some parts of the country and for younger people too, but once they grow up some and have families and can afford more space, odds are they aren't going to want to sit and view content on mobile devices at home if a better option is available.

Back