OLED Comes To Laptops At CES 2016

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
After what seems like an eternity, laptop makers are finally embracing OLED technology. Now I won’t have to return a laptop five times because of backlight bleed.

…for the first time in years, we’re set to see a major revolution in picture quality. This is not just due to Ultra HD, which is rapidly becoming mainstream, but also a display technology that any fanatic of high-end televisions will be familiar with: OLED. This is not a minor step forward. OLED’s arrival is like an Imperial Star Destroyer showing up for a fight between starfighters. Now that it’s here, everything that’s happened before is insignificant.

The TV arena is what I'm most interested in. A 65 inch OLED for under $2k.

Then again, a big desktop monitor with 120hz and free (or g) sync would be nice too. :)

Can't wait for all those laptops to end up with burn in because OS UI elements are always on the same place on the screen when not running a fullscreen game.

Is there a burn in issue?

Anything that uses a light source is at risk for burn in. Including LED based LCD displays. That's why displays get dimmer with age.

Now instead of using 4 or 5 bright white LEDs to backlight the whole display, you've got 6220800 individual LEDs that make up the red, greens and blue subpixels in a 1080p display. The individual AMOLED pixels are each a separate light source.

yWa8Qfh.jpg

Red, green and blue all each have different lifespans, so some will fade faster than others depending on use. Blue fades the most quickly.

And the entire screen is never used evenly. In Windows, the start button is almost always in the same place and tends to be blue, so that spot will have the blue fade fastest.

That's burn in. Uneven fading of subpixels.

qPnMuVZ.jpg

It is unavoidable. All they can do is refine the manufacturing process and try to make the screen last longer before this becomes noticeable. Easy to do if you're making screens for a device that usually get tossed after one year or two... but that's not typical of a laptop or tv screen. Those hang around longer.

And yes. Burn in is still an issue for even the newest of new phones. People are already reporting burn in on Galaxy S6 models.

I just bought a Windows 10 phone with the OLED screen and did not realize that they had not solved some of those issues. Good to know as I rely on my fellow nerds to keep me up to date as I have no spare time.

Anything that uses a light source is at risk for burn in. Including LED based LCD displays. That's why displays get dimmer with age.

If LCD screens get burn in because they are getting dimmer with age, then how can you fix burn in on LCD's by running a static full white blank screen for a week with http://www.jads.co.uk/screen-repair/jscreenfix-deluxe ?

(I fixed burn in from a black line on my browser window like that on my XL2720Z).

I don't think burn-in has anything to do with that directly.

Now instead of using 4 or 5 bright white LEDs to backlight the whole display, you've got 6220800 individual LEDs that make up the red, greens and blue subpixels in a 1080p display. The individual AMOLED pixels are each a separate light source.

yWa8Qfh.jpg

Red, green and blue all each have different lifespans, so some will fade faster than others depending on use. Blue fades the most quickly.

And the entire screen is never used evenly. In Windows, the start button is almost always in the same place and tends to be blue, so that spot will have the blue fade fastest.

That's burn in. Uneven fading of subpixels.

qPnMuVZ.jpg

It is unavoidable. All they can do is refine the manufacturing process and try to make the screen last longer before this becomes noticeable. Easy to do if you're making screens for a device that usually get tossed after one year or two... but that's not typical of a laptop or tv screen. Those hang around longer.

And yes. Burn in is still an issue for even the newest of new phones. People are already reporting burn in on Galaxy S6 models.

LCD's don't get burn in. In fact, they are pretty much the only type of display that doesn't (Burn in is when the pixels fade in such a way that the outline of an image or text remains there even when the image/text is removed). LCD's can sometimes get image persistence but that is not caused by wear or dimming but by electrical charges building up and is usually temporary.

Couldn't edit but I don't think burn-in from LED's *DIMMING* has anything to do with that directly. LED's dimming is the backlight dimming. The backlights on LED LCD's are edge lit. A backlight itself getting dimmer is not an effect nor a cause of burn in, or jscreenfix wouldn't work.

Couldn't edit but I don't think burn-in from LED's *DIMMING* has anything to do with that directly. LED's dimming is the backlight dimming. The backlights on LED LCD's are edge lit. A backlight itself getting dimmer is not an effect nor a cause of burn in, or jscreenfix wouldn't work.

Some TV's have an array of LED's behind the screen, these TV's have a feature called Local Dimming since they can dim the LED's on portions of the screen,so you can get more contrast ratio or deeper blacks, if I am not mistaken,.

If LCD screens get burn in because they are getting dimmer with age, then how can you fix burn in on LCD's by running a static full white blank screen for a week with http://www.jads.co.uk/screen-repair/jscreenfix-deluxe ?

(I fixed burn in from a black line on my browser window like that on my XL2720Z).

I don't think burn-in has anything to do with that directly.

that's image retention, LCDs don't burn in

I agree OLED is a terrible idea for a computer

my LG G Watch R has tons of burn in on the display since it's always on but meh

LCD's don't get burn in. In fact, they are pretty much the only type of display that doesn't (Burn in is when the pixels fade in such a way that the outline of an image or text remains there even when the image/text is removed). LCD's can sometimes get image persistence but that is not caused by wear or dimming but by electrical charges building up and is usually temporary.

What you're trying to explain to me has nothing to do what I said.

I never said LCDs burn in. However, the LEDs used for backlighting *DO FADE* for the same reasons AMOLEDS burn in.

LEDs dim with age. No screen will ever be as bright as it was on day one the longer you use it. It may be imperceptible due to people keeping the brightness below 100%, but backlights absolutely do burn out. The individual light sources behind LCDs don't tend to wear unevenly because they're all lit all at the same time and with the same intensity, something you can never do with RGB AMOLED pixels.

Pretty exciting times. While I'd argue that visually, OLED is probably a minor bump from CRT, the fact that it is better and in the same small package as LCD makes this a win.

For those worried about image persistence with sample-and-hold, Sony's PVM and BVM OLED monitors already "scan" the image like a CRT. It's just a matter of time before this starts to happen in the consumer market.

As to why it's not happening yet? I remember reading complaints about... Flickering! :D Because Sony OLED BVM and PVM's run at 60hz, then its a flicker fest for static images. Which makes sense because CRT monitor's aren't really viewable at 60hz, at least not the larger ones anyways...

Both LCD and OLED dim with age but the pros of OLED far outweigh the cons of LCD.

Once Quantom Dot becomes a thing, OLED will passed on. I wouldn't say OLED is a dead end technology for flat panels but its starting to look like plasma was with all their head aches.

Power savings from oleds make their great for mobile platforms but the fact that it washes out hard in natural light and is much easier to suffer from image burn in and color loss over time makes it a wash for me compared to a IPS type. I like my stuff to last more than 2 years at a time especially something like a laptop.

Power savings from oleds make their great for mobile platforms but the fact that it washes out hard in natural light and is much easier to suffer from image burn in and color loss over time makes it a wash for me compared to a IPS type. I like my stuff to last more than 2 years at a time especially something like a laptop.

Power savings of AMOLED is actually a wash in average use.

LCD power drain is constant dependent on backlighting levels.

AMOLED saves a tiny bit if all black (read: off) where it is dark, but once you start having dark grey backgrounds mixed up in there, you're not really saving any power anymore. Couple this with the devices most commonly using AMOLEDS: Android phones; and how Lollipop introduced the bright colors, white backgrounds UI design. AMOLEDs actually use more power for all white backgrounds than LCD would at similar brightness.

In the end, it's largely a wash.

Back