Motorola Brand Name To Be Phased Out

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Kind of sad, no? The good news is that the original name won’t be completely lost, as it’s being merely shortened by the decision makers at Lenovo.

The phase-out is notable because Motorola once represented the pinnacle of wireless technology. The company did invent the cell phone, after all. At a point in the mid-2000s, you couldn't turn your head without seeing the ultrathin Razr flip phone, which came with a "Hello, Moto" ringtone. Older folks will remember the Motorola DynaTAC as one of the first true mobile devices.

Brand is just a name. It's what happens to a company after being sold 2 times in a row with VERY different owners I'm curious about.

Motorola was more then just cell phones. They made processors as well. Sound processors. PowerPC processors.

They were a big American electronics company, and now they be dead.

The best Cablemodems still come from Arris (formerly branded as Motorola)

Arris (who used to use the motorola name) is where the good modems come from. The company "Zoom" now uses the Motorola brand. Zoom modems are trash. Look for Arris.

Last edited:
Lenovo is just going to ruin that company's long built reputation and this is just the start.

known in the 2way industry as the evil batwings, an old saying "you can get better, but you can't pay more"

Well that sucks, I always like the Motorola phones. Never had issues with them at all. I guess my Nexus 6 is the last Motorola phone I will ever have :/

This is a horrible idea. It's like Lamborghi officially changing its name to Lambo.

Arris now owns that piece of Moto

Eh, they clearly still have some kind of usage rights to the name, given how ubiquitous the Motorola logo still is even on their newest modems. Depending on the exact terms, Arris cablemodems might end up being the last place the traditional Motorola branding is actually used.

Considering most of their recent phones names are all "Moto" something I doubt many people will actually notice. I imagine that Lenovo will eventually fold the brand in a little closer and Moto will be the product line and Lenovo the company. Like Lenovo Thinkpads.

I have a Moto X Play and it's pretty good. I'll be looking at the new Moto phones when I need a new one. It makes sense for Lenovo to rebrand because it brings in people who like their other products as well as ones who like Motorolla phones.

Lenovomoto.
I had a Micro Tac 5200 with the full-fat battery pack. Good times

Considering most of their recent phones names are all "Moto" something I doubt many people will actually notice. I imagine that Lenovo will eventually fold the brand in a little closer and Moto will be the product line and Lenovo the company. Like Lenovo Thinkpads.

I have a Moto X Play and it's pretty good. I'll be looking at the new Moto phones when I need a new one. It makes sense for Lenovo to rebrand because it brings in people who like their other products as well as ones who like Motorolla phones.

Thinkpad was always the name of the product line, it's just Lenovo Thinkpad now instead of IBM Thinkpad.

Its a shame, the name people trust, or did before it was passed around

Motorola has far more history than you give it credit for. Founded in 1928, it was a leader in defense radio systems for decades. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola

they are still around, they are now Motorola Solutions...

known in the 2way industry as the evil batwings, an old saying "you can get better, but you can't pay more"

no kidding man, I really want a Motorola APX8000 in V/U but once you add features it's like $9k, no thanks!

Eh, they clearly still have some kind of usage rights to the name, given how ubiquitous the Motorola logo still is even on their newest modems. Depending on the exact terms, Arris cablemodems might end up being the last place the traditional Motorola branding is actually used.

They just co-branded for a while since Arris wasn't really a consumer name at first. they finally dropped the Motorola name late last year.

As long as they keep the brand alive (whatever the name), I'm okay with it. They've been the best phones I've owned going all the way back to the StarTac back in the 90's.
Even today they're one of the few providers doing Android right.

What are they thinking?

This has to be a huge branding and marketing blunder.

The name Motorola summons up memories of hig quality well made devices, and one of the most reputable cell phone companies.

The name Lenovo summons up memories of that Chinese junk company that ruined IBM's hardware division...

They really ought to realize that people associate anything Chinese with junk.

Zarathustra[H];1042080032 said:
What are they thinking?

This has to be a huge branding and marketing blunder.

The name Motorola summons up memories of hig quality well made devices, and one of the most reputable cell phone companies.

The name Lenovo summons up memories of that Chinese junk company that ruined IBM's hardware division...

They really ought to realize that people associate anything Chinese with junk.

Most people quickly forget brand history. Especially when they hit Wal-Mart looking for sales.

Speaking of brand recognition and remembering brand history, did you watch that NCAA bowl game sponsored by a company found guilty of animal cruelty just last year? It even had front page exposes on many major news outlets. I'll bet my lunch you'll need to go to Google to know whom I am talking about even if you did watch that bowl game.

Why? Because most people forget this kind of thing unless they are the most interested of amateurs in the company field.

LOOK SQUIRREL!!! ;)

Most people quickly forget brand history. Especially when they hit Wal-Mart looking for sales.

Speaking of brand recognition and remembering brand history, did you watch that NCAA bowl game sponsored by a company found guilty of animal cruelty just last year? It even had front page exposes on many major news outlets. I'll bet my lunch you'll need to go to Google to know whom I am talking about even if you did watch that bowl game.

Why? Because most people forget this kind of thing unless they are the most interested of amateurs in the company field.

LOOK SQUIRREL!!! ;)

What's the NCAA again? :p

Back