Netflix Has Been Streaming The Wrong 'Lost' Finale

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure how this has gone unnoticed for so long but, now that Netflix has been made aware of the issue, the wrong season finale is being replaced with the correct one and all is right in the world again.

The series Lost bent fans' minds one more time thanks to a Netflix mix-up. Reddit users noticed that the show's finale, as aired on the streaming service, was missing scenes that made it 18 minutes shorter than the original version. That got the attention of creator Damon Lindelof, who told Entertainment Weekly, "love it or hate it, the finale that aired is the definitive finale and to alter it in any way defies explanation." However, he quickly added that it was likely a simple error, and recalled that ABC-TV had created a cut-down version for syndication.

Nobody even needs to comment because we're all thinking the same thing.

Oh god there's a show I wish I'd never started

This kind of thing happens a bit with shows I watch streaming. For example, Hell's Kitchen is something I like to have on in the background via Hulu and I've noted and reported problems that haven't been corrected - there's at least one episode on the service that isn't bleeped (didn't report that and it really does make a difference - Ramsay says "fuck" so often), there are a couple episodes that are letterboxed instead of native 16:9, etc.

Hulu seems to have more issues, I suspect because they add content pretty much 7 days a week. To their credit they seem to fix issues with current-season episodes pretty fast; with the older stuff, I think issues get sent to the bottom of a queue, never to reach the top.

Funny how earlier in the series fans were guessing that everyone was dead and that they were in purgatory/limbo or whatever and writers were saying that wasn't the case. End of series come out and guess what... they were all dead. What did they do, couldn't figure where to go with the story so decided to go with they were all dead anyway?

Funny how earlier in the series fans were guessing that everyone was dead and that they were in purgatory/limbo or whatever and writers were saying that wasn't the case. End of series come out and guess what... they were all dead. What did they do, couldn't figure where to go with the story so decided to go with they were all dead anyway?
Except that wasn't how it turned out. The only part where "everyone was dead" was in the alternate reality flashes (don't know how else to put it; they replaced the flashbacks and flashforwards during the last season) that turned out to be their experiences of some sort of holding area LA where dead people who cared about each other (or were important to each other; I don't remember the exact dumb words they used) would get together before moving on to whatever.

I'm not going to defend their choices apart from believing that it was the creators' call and whatever they decide is just how it is...still, it's weird that people have chosen to either misremember or misdescribe it the way you did.

Had a similar issue with Amazon Video and "A Good Day To Die Hard".

When I bought it, it was the right theatrical version.

When I was viewing it about a month or so ago, it was an edited version consistent with the UK theatrical release.

I tried to notify Amazon that they were streaming the wrong version...

All I got was my original purchase of the video refunded.

Ah yes, the show that kept me captivated before a writer's strike and indecision sent it off a cliff....It's too bad, so many of the unanswered things that kept people fascinated for years and seemed to be building up to mind-blowing ideas ended up with lame and abrupt wtf?-type explanations.

Both casual watchers who didn't understand much under the surface, and people on the other end of the extreme who comb through every single detail and second-guess every nuance, were the ones who thought they were dead the whole time. They all had lived their lives though, and eventually ended up in that "limbo" place after they all died. Not that I thought it was a very neat or clever ending....it did seem like a cheap, unnecessarily preachy cop-out. I remember it being confusing to a lot of people however, many explanations came out (there's great bonus scenes on the DVD) and it's interesting that many reverted back to the "they're dead the whole time" myth. Kinda like how every time there's a tied NFL game, so many people say "There can be ties in football?"...I swear it's always the same people!

As a developer involved in a VOD service: this is not surprising. the path media takes from content owner to service can be pretty convoluted and in the case of netflix (and others) with automated pipelines things like this can happen form time to time.

I liked the Lost videos that had the pop-up informational bubbles on them that related the current playing episode to previous ones. They often played right before the new episode of the week. Anyway to watch those versions?

I don't think it is so much that they have the wrong version up that confuses people as that does happen. It is something being up for years before somebody realized oh wait this isn't right. However even that really isn't that hard to believe.

People that watched the show are probably less likely to turn around and rewatch it all over again. Those that never watched it won't know what the exact episode should have been as they never watched it before. So in the end you would need that one person that has watched it before to rewatch it to realize it wasn't correct.

Back