Microsoft Pulling The Plug On IE 8, 9, and 10 Next Tuesday

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just a reminder that Microsoft will issue its final support patch for Internet Explorer 8, 9, and 10 on January 12th. If you are still using one of the aforementioned browsers, it's time to look into upgrading.

Microsoft is ending support for Internet Explorer 8, 9, and 10 next week on January 12th, releasing a final patch encouraging users to upgrade to one of the company's more recent browsers. The end of support means that these older versions of Internet Explorer will no longer receive security updates or technical support, making anyone who uses them much more vulnerable to hackers.

Thank GOD. 75% of my company is still on IE8 and I know of at least a few other firms that are rocking 8 or 9.

Thank GOD. 75% of my company is still on IE8 and I know of at least a few other firms that are rocking 8 or 9.

If you work for a company that is anything like my current or past ones, you'll be holding on to IE8 indefinitely due to poorly written web applications/intranets that refuse to work on anything modern.

So that's why my company finally pushed out IE11 a few weeks ago...

Ugh... We JUST upgraded to IE9 a few months ago. Hopefully they are working up to 10. All of our systems are getting pretty old though. Here's hoping they are aiming for upgrading our Nahalem-based desktops instead.

About time, my company recently upgraded but we were on IE 8 for years

So so many medical sites, hospitals, 911 centers, insurance outfits still are on IE8. My wife does medical billing from home and it's constant tweaking to keep her on those places.

Ugh... We JUST upgraded to IE9 a few months ago. Hopefully they are working up to 10. All of our systems are getting pretty old though. Here's hoping they are aiming for upgrading our Nahalem-based desktops instead.

Why would you upgrade from a crap obsolete software, to another crap obsolete software?

A tip for people stuck with IE8 -- look into IE11 enterprise mode. It can be used to configure IE11 to render a page like a previous version of IE would. It's pretty easy to setup, too.

We had about a dozen internal sites that required IE8 or IE9. With Enterprise Mode, I'm down to one site that doesn't work with IE11, and we're waiting on an update from the vendor.

So that's why my company finally pushed out IE11 a few weeks ago...

Same here. After about 3 months of me kicking and screaming about this we finally upgraded our environment a few months back.

Why would you upgrade from a crap obsolete software, to another crap obsolete software?

Because at least once MS hit IE10, it was a browser that was competitively fast. If I'm going to work with crap obsolete software (which we have to because of internal software incompatibilities), it might as well not be slow. :(

Something must be broken with ms browsers.. The it team at work solves compatibility issues by giving you a button that launches chrome on the page needed... Weird.
(System is very closed, is not like you can install anything you want and fix it, IT has to do it)

Back