Who Controls Your Facebook Feed

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess I never really put much though into how Facebook decides what to display on my timeline. I always assumed it was robots or slave labor.

It scans and collects everything posted in the past week by each of your friends, everyone you follow, each group you belong to, and every Facebook page you’ve liked. For the average Facebook user, that’s more than 1,500 posts. If you have several hundred friends, it could be as many as 10,000. Then, according to a closely guarded and constantly shifting formula, Facebook’s news feed algorithm ranks them all, in what it believes to be the precise order of how likely you are to find each post worthwhile. Most users will only ever see the top few hundred.

Interesting. I have deleted Facebook since high school, but I had always found the feed/timeline cluttered with insignificant posts.

I wish I could delete my facebook with in minutes there would be fake mockery version up in seconds. When facebook starteds I was at community college in new jersey. It was no big deal and every one had to be in college. Someone complained their girl friend had and account and they wanted one... they were not a the boyfriend but a stalker... lol. that is why it is such a mess right now. I never did hear the rest of the story but there was a indicator at the bottom of your page at one point that said just how many people were seeing your posts being reshared... playing mafia wars or other games would send this number smaller and smaller. At one time my posts were being reshared by only they know how many people but I had fifty thousand friends when they listed friends of friends as part of your numbers and had a three down at the bottom of the page. then I made to mistake of clicking like on a few too many things and no longer can even see when my friends post half the time, but the funniest thing is the current message... you are seeing this message because you think your a good friend parapharsed in case they cr it.

Facebook has a lot of wasted space,
facebook.jpg

I wish I could delete my facebook with in minutes there would be fake mockery version up in seconds. When facebook starteds I was at community college in new jersey. It was no big deal and every one had to be in college. Someone complained their girl friend had and account and they wanted one... they were not a the boyfriend but a stalker... lol. that is why it is such a mess right now. I never did hear the rest of the story but there was a indicator at the bottom of your page at one point that said just how many people were seeing your posts being reshared... playing mafia wars or other games would send this number smaller and smaller. At one time my posts were being reshared by only they know how many people but I had fifty thousand friends when they listed friends of friends as part of your numbers and had a three down at the bottom of the page. then I made to mistake of clicking like on a few too many things and no longer can even see when my friends post half the time, but the funniest thing is the current message... you are seeing this message because you think your a good friend parapharsed in case they cr it.

What.

What they need is a true chronological display (with user defined filtering).

Yo guys, Im here to prove Im a cool guy by saying, I don't use Facebook.

I logged in yesterday to thank everyone for the birthday wishes.

i'll log in again in another year.

Yo guys, Im here to prove Im a cool guy by saying, I don't use Facebook.

Right, it is almost like it is some kind of proof of manhood to not use facebook. We all play on a forum, it is still social networking. Just a different card in the same deck. I like facebook, it lets me click like on cousins statuses so I don't have to bother with calling them and yet still appear as active in the family lol. Will say though, if it ever falls, I'm done. Not starting over.

Right, it is almost like it is some kind of proof of manhood to not use facebook. We all play on a forum, it is still social networking. Just a different card in the same deck. I like facebook, it lets me click like on cousins statuses so I don't have to bother with calling them and yet still appear as active in the family lol. Will say though, if it ever falls, I'm done. Not starting over.

No chance of it disappearing. It's way beyond what Myspace did. User engagement is high and user count is huge. If you don't sit on your porch all day yelling, "Hey you, get off my lawn," you probably have a FB account that you log into pretty regularly.

No chance of it disappearing. It's way beyond what Myspace did. User engagement is high and user count is huge. If you don't sit on your porch all day yelling, "Hey you, get off my lawn," you probably have a FB account that you log into pretty regularly.
I assume anyone who says they never use Facebook is straight up lying.

It would take a massive Sea change that is for sure ... FB is more than 10 times larger than MySpace ever was and is embraced by many age groups, businesses, and software developers ... they also seem to add just enough new features to keep things relevant ... I don't see Facebook going anywhere unless there is a complete collapse of the internet (unlikely)

It would take a massive Sea change that is for sure ... FB is more than 10 times larger than MySpace ever was and is embraced by many age groups, businesses, and software developers ... they also seem to add just enough new features to keep things relevant ... I don't see Facebook going anywhere unless there is a complete collapse of the internet (unlikely)

If this was on FB, I'd like this post ;)

I used to like the old way that displayed new posts on top in a timeline style way

I used to like the old way that displayed new posts on top in a timeline style way

This can still be done. On the side where it says "News Feed", click the little gear and choose most recent. Its usually set to top stories and you will need to change it every time.

This can still be done. On the side where it says "News Feed", click the little gear and choose most recent. Its usually set to top stories and you will need to change it every time.

It's not the same. There are still older posts that get pushed to the top. People have been complaining about it for years, but they won't listen.

Back