32-Bit vs. 64-Bit Browsers

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
If you didn’t notice any real difference after updating your browser to the 64-bit version, it’s quite normal. Here’s some benchmarks that show what variances there actually are.

The only two browsers that ran all tests without freezes or hangs were Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Every other browser experienced at least one freeze while running the benchmarks. Another interesting observation is that Vivaldi outperforms Google Chrome in some benchmarks and with RAM usage even though it is still a beta release. In addition, it did not freeze while running the RoboHornet benchmark while Google Chrome did.

So Microsoft Edge is the best 64 bit browser out right now it seems. Too bad it doesn't have Ad Block.

Just for shits and giggles I loaded up 7 tabs with tutorial videos playing in Edge and didn't have one hange up on 16gb of ram.

So Microsoft Edge is the best 64 bit browser out right now it seems. Too bad it doesn't have Ad Block.

Where do you get that from this article?

I saw a few benchmarks where it performed well, but that's only a very very very small piece of the puzzle behind things like functionality, support, usability, security, etc etc etc which are all far more important.

Also why is memory usage even a category? Use it if you need it, keep it under half available system memory or so and I dgaf. I paid for it, go ahead and use it.

Google Chrome is supposed to be RAM-heavy due to the way it separates tabs.

Speaking of tabs, try 50 tabs, not 10.

As for 64 bit vs 32 bit, as I understand it, the advantages are supposed to be stability and protection.

Google Chrome is supposed to be RAM-heavy due to the way it separates tabs.

Speaking of tabs, try 50 tabs, not 10.

As for 64 bit vs 32 bit, as I understand it, the advantages are supposed to be stability and protection.

Exactly. My Chrome opens with 10 tabs, and they only get more numerous as time goes by. 64-bit memory handling is much more efficient and stable at high levels like that. They need to test it for the real purpose for 64-bit programs.

Moving to 64-bit is less about speed, really. Always has been. People need to drop that misconception. Sometimes, it can be faster. But, it's typically not.

Back