Debian Linux Founder Has Passed Away

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this blog post, Ian Murdock, the founder of Debian Linux has passed away. He was 42 years old. No cause of death was given.

Dear friends and members of the open source community, It is with great sadness that we inform you that Ian Murdock passed away on Monday night. This is a tragic loss for his family, for the Docker community, and the broader open source world; we all mourn his passing. To Ian’s children, family and loved ones, we offer our full support and deepest sympathies.

Believe it or not, the other day, he was going off on twitter about a run-in with the police.

He talked about committing suicide.

Believe it or not, the other day, he was going off on twitter about a run-in with the police.

People wondered if his twitter was hacked. At this point, guess not...

Was he mentally ill ... no one commits suicide after a run in with the police normally :confused:

Linux devs don't die, they just become part of /dev/null

And, since they're running systemd, we can't simply read the logs to figure out what happened either.

Some news reports say he was drunk Saturday night/early Sunday when he had two encounters with police that got him taken to a hospital and then arrested.

Alcoholism, drug use, mental illness. Or all of the above.

I think he couldn't bare the though of having Debian die first.

when I said "mad" I meant "very angry"

Or maybe you've never been beaten by the police and arrested. They know how to fuck you up. He sounds mad, not suicidal.

Fucking pigs.

Don't you think this is a bit much?

5:27pm: Maybe my suicide at this, you now, a successful business man, not a ++++++, will finally bring some attention to this very serious issue.

5:13pm: i'm committing suicide tonight.. do not intervene as i have many stories to tell and do not want them to die with me #debian #runnerkristy67

6:31pm: (1/2) The rest of my life will be devoted to fighting against police abuse.. I'm white, I made $1.4 million last year,

6:07pm: i'm hoping coming from a successful white guy it will help everyone

yea, I've read that. doesn't make a whole lot of sense to devote the rest of your life to something then just take your own life soon after.

Back