Google Asked To Remove 558M “Pirate” Links In 2015

HardOCP News

[H] News
Over a half a billion takedown requests in a single year has to be some kind of record. I'm not saying they are taking this too far but that's 63,927 take down requests per hour for an entire year. :eek:

Copyright holders asked Google to remove more than 560,000,000 allegedly infringing links from its search engine in 2015. The staggering number is an increase of 60% compared to the year before. According to Google the continued surge is a testament that the DMCA takedown process is working, but some copyright holders disagree.

Seriously... Do they honestly think this is effective? If a pirate knows where to get stuff, he knows where to get stuff. Google middle-man not needed.

It's not like my mom is going to google "How to pirate the new Star Wars movie"

It's like cutting off Hydra's heads, cut off one, two more will take its place.

Not like they're ever going to learn this though.

Seriously... Do they honestly think this is effective? If a pirate knows where to get stuff, he knows where to get stuff. Google middle-man not needed.

It's not like my mom is going to google "How to pirate the new Star Wars movie"

It's not "How", it's the "Where"...as in "where" can i get that .torrent file / magnet link / etc.

I suspect given the quantity that this isn't just "pirate" links ... I know there are plenty of copyright violations around artwork on the internet (I think The Oatmeal has been involved in several disputes where people misappropriated his work) ... although we need to find some sort of balance on the usage of video, music, and books (some of the takedown requests are for valid usages like commentary) we do need to maintain a process to police the usage of unattributed IP

Personally it would do the world a better place to remove any "malware" type of sites, i.e. if you search for something and up comes some random site "click here to download!" "install download accelerator 2.0 we promise it's not malware *snicker snicker* uh oh did we actually type that?"

Copyright holders asked Google to remove more than 560,000,000 allegedly infringing links from its search engine in 2015. The staggering number is an increase of 60% compared to the year before. According to Google the continued surge is a testament that the DMCA takedown process is working, but some copyright holders disagree.[/I]

I think they missed a few billion :)

They troll all the forums now, getting the links taken down so quickly it's ridiculous. I'm beginning to wonder how I can get a job doing that, since it appears to be done with exceptional skill and promptness. Gotta pay halfway decent.

Personally it would do the world a better place to remove any "malware" type of sites, i.e. if you search for something and up comes some random site "click here to download!" "install download accelerator 2.0 we promise it's not malware *snicker snicker* uh oh did we actually type that?"

Sounds like you should use Google Chrome:confused:

They troll all the forums now, getting the links taken down so quickly it's ridiculous. I'm beginning to wonder how I can get a job doing that, since it appears to be done with exceptional skill and promptness. Gotta pay halfway decent.

It's almost always a bot. Do you think the MPAA would spend money on something like this?

It's not "How", it's the "Where"...as in "where" can i get that .torrent file / magnet link / etc.

Yes, but if you already know WHERE to start the initial look, then Google isn't even a factor...

Thus, google is only useful to those that do not yet know HOW.

Google has became the tool for the rich to enslave the internet and got really rich in the process. It all began with a search engine that returns all matching records, now it only returns some with the intention of only returning those that are permitted.

Back