Lawl CrystalDiskMark is single thread limited :D

SomeGuy133

2[H]4U
So I was just messing around with my server and wanted to look at the quad channel ram speeds and they seemed oddly low for quad DDR4 RAM.

I didn't have an overclock on my 1650v3 at the time so I was watching task manager and it appeared as if crystaldiskmark was single thread limited. So I went to OC to 4.5GHz and rerun tests and they were substantially higher.

Well I boogered my OCs and crashed. I was trying to OC cache a tad to remove as much single thread/CPU bottleneck issues as possible but oh well.

I'll have to redo this later when I got time but will still post this so everyone can read. I went from 388000 IOPS to 450000 IOPS in one test IIRC. Since it crashed I didn't get a chance to get screen shots but oh well. I'll redo them when I get all my other parts in the mail and posts the differences.

So be warned that if your using Crystaldiskmark or other benchmarks on NVMe or RAM you should double check task manager and see if your bottlenecked on the CPU. It maybe why your getting lower scores.

Ah fuck it. Here is a quick example. These are only rough examples. I'll post better results later when I get the time.

These results are 3.6-3.8GHz vs 4.5GHz with no cache OCing. Cache is glitchy as hell so I wont bother with those til I got time.

I also did 5x16GiB tests do to how fast RAM is. I figured that would give more consistent results but I don't know. It seems to have little effect from my experience but I did it anyways to be safe.

Sidenote, Can this also be affected by whatever RAMdisk program I am using? I am just using DIMMdrive because its easy and I am lazy :D I am sure there are better RAMdisk programs out there. Maybe someone else can try to replicate this with another program?

Yea there is near 100% scaling in Q32 4K!!! A 25% increase Whoa! I bet this would be even better with a cache OC.

So is this Crystaldiskmark or RAMDisk or both?

This is why single threaded programs suck :/ Most programs are single threaded to begin with which is why I always complain about single thread :/

Does anyone know of a good program to test my RAM out of curiosity that isn't single thread limited?

84VA4Xx.png

Thanks.. I am getting with Quad DDR4 2133 16GB RDDIMM ECC RAM15-15-15-36 CR1

reads 46321 MBps Better then another x99 but worse then a DDR3 system.
write 47906 MBps
copy 52275 MBps This uses a crap ton off CPU lol
latency 72.7 ns

Does this not support doing like IOPs? Yea you can't test virtual drives for some reason :/

Does this all look good?
IN8vstf.png

Last edited:
Back