How Hollywood Caught The UK’s Most Prolific Movie Pirates

HardOCP News

[H] News
These guys might as well have left bread crumbs everywhere they went because that's how easy it was for the authorities to find them.

Last week the UK's most prolific movie pirates were handed sentences totaling 17 years. With claims in court that the men went to great lengths to hide their identities, just how easy was it to catch them? Papers detailing the investigation obtained by TorrentFreak reveal that tracking the men down was a relatively simple affair.

Last edited:
They used their real names in numerous places... I mean, if you don't want people to know who you are, wtf? LOL

Seems like trivial stuff they used to get caught. Just little breadcrumbs. Easy to connect the lines, though.

I think being anonymous takes a lot of effort. Keep your mouth (and fingers) closed and don't give out any information. Just stick to business, no names (either online monikers or real names) or other details.

Real name tied to account names that match account names on torrent sites, as well as listing the email address you use for facebook in your .nfo file... ffs. And then putting the name of your baby's momma in the .nfo? Using the year you were born with your lastname as a username? About the only way they could have made it easier would have been to put DL#'s or whatever in the nfo files.

Am I the only one that's a little freaked out that Equifax is giving out personal details to a group that has zero affiliation with law enforcement?

Seriously, Equifax was responsible for pretty much all of these arrests.

That's what Equifax does. That is their business.

Same with Experian and TransUnion.

You can pull anyone's report, including old addresses. It's BS.

Seems like trivial stuff they used to get caught. Just little breadcrumbs. Easy to connect the lines, though.

I think being anonymous takes a lot of effort. Keep your mouth (and fingers) closed and don't give out any information. Just stick to business, no names (either online monikers or real names) or other details.

Agreed, and since people normally begin their online lives as anonymous people who immediately begin to destroy their anonymity through normal usage, in order to become anonymous again one needs to "start from scratch" all over again with no links to the old online persona, I wouldn't even use the same computing equipment, ISP, credit card, address, etc.

I would say your first steps should be to move, and establish new banking services with someone who is not so hard up to properly verify one's identity. Don't have your paycheck go to this bank, keep the one live separate from the other, and don't go so far that you become target number one, and you might have a chance at becoming "not worth the trouble to dig up".

That's what Equifax does. That is their business.

Same with Experian and TransUnion.

You can pull anyone's report, including old addresses. It's BS.

Looks like all they did was submit a credit check as if they were checking them out for a loan. Truthfully this is something that any business can do, heck, I wouldn't be surprised if individuals can as well, as long as they are willing to pay for the report. I bet P.I.s and Bounty hunters do the same as well.

Another thing to add to your list of things not to do with your ghost identity, apply for credit.

Back