Dolby Cinema Features Laser Projectors And 3D Audio

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Now all Dolby needs to invent is “Dolby Shut Up,” a revolutionary feature that prevents people in the cinema from talking, eating, or checking their phones.

A representative from Dolby Labs explained the Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision features that together make up Dolby Cinema. Like IMAX-with-laser, Dolby Vision uses lasers as light sources instead of the usual high-intensity discharge bulb. This allows the projection to be much brighter, and the contrast level to be much higher, than with normal DLP.

there are only 10 Dolby Cinema locations around the world and I am lucky enough to live in a city that has one (NYC)...I saw The Force Awakens in the Dolby Cinema location in Manhattan and it was an amazing experience...the picture was the most lifelike I have ever seen and the Dolby Atmos audio was so immersive but not over-bearing...and 3D is not tied into Dolby Cinema so you can watch movies in splendid 2D...unfortunately a lot of the 'real' IMAX locations have been converted into 3D IMAX so you don't have the option to view it in 2D anymore

Went to see Force Awakens and the people behind me were fucking obnoxious.

Is it that hard to shut the fuck up for 2 hours?

Oh great more technology for movie theaters to "rationalize" ticket prices that are through the roof, 8 bucks for the "early bird" first movie of the day picture price... *sigh*

Went to see Force Awakens and the people behind me were fucking obnoxious.

Is it that hard to shut the fuck up for 2 hours?
Is it that hard to tell someone to shut the fuck up? I've only had to do that once, but a couple was talking behind my wife and I during the sneak previews, and not even whisper quiet either, first warning was a glance of me turning around and looking them in the eye, second warning was me turning around going "could you please be quiet, thanks"

Oh great more technology for movie theaters to "rationalize" ticket prices that are through the roof, 8 bucks for the "early bird" first movie of the day picture price... *sigh*

I think prices are fine. Yea, they're a bit high compared to the past, but every item is slowly rising in price. The $4.50 matinee 20 years ago was great. About an hour worth of wages at the time (min. wage). Now, 8 bucks is still about an hour of wages at min. wage. Whoppers aren't $1 anymore. Gas isn't 89 cents anymore. Movies aren't $4.50 anymore.

Good news - at least new movies for purchase aren't $89 anymore. VHS's on release were that much, and it was rental time only to justify those costs. Now, $25 for a new blu is typical.

I would pay more for a better experience. Better seats, more room, better audio and visuals, etc.. $12 a head instead of $10. So, not much more.

I do go to the movies less these days than in the past due to the costs, though. I can see why they are higher and justify it, but I can't justify paying it to go watch a single movie.

Now all Dolby needs to invent is “Dolby Shut Up,” a revolutionary feature that prevents people in the cinema from talking, eating, or checking their phones.

A representative from Dolby Labs explained the Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision features that together make up Dolby Cinema. Like IMAX-with-laser, Dolby Vision uses lasers as light sources instead of the usual high-intensity discharge bulb. This allows the projection to be much brighter, and the contrast level to be much higher, than with normal DLP.

I saw TFA at the IMAX theater at the Air and Space Museum DC which I think is supposed to have laser projection (or some other new tech - I can't quite keep up). The picture did look very good but I'm not sure if I can tell how much better.

I think prices are fine. Yea, they're a bit high compared to the past, but every item is slowly rising in price. The $4.50 matinee 20 years ago was great. About an hour worth of wages at the time (min. wage). Now, 8 bucks is still about an hour of wages at min. wage. Whoppers aren't $1 anymore. Gas isn't 89 cents anymore. Movies aren't $4.50 anymore.
Yeah I get that things rise in price, 20 years ago I was paying way more than 89 cents a gallon, however a ticket to Disneyland cost me like $33, and much like Disney ticket prices have increased faster than inflation, so it sticks a little harder to pay that price. But the argument that's always used is you aren't paying for "prices just go up" but you're paying for the new equipment, how long ago was Avatar? Still raking in that $3+ surcharge for a 3d movie, even though I'm fairly sure they paid the equipment off in short order.

I do go to the movies less these days than in the past due to the costs, though. I can see why they are higher and justify it, but I can't justify paying it to go watch a single movie.
Yeah special "date night" with the wife, no food from the theater though, or the last time I went by myself while my car was being worked on, $8 in order to not sit in the waiting room that smelled like tires for 2+ hours was well worth the cost.

They didn't mention the biggest benefit of all for laser video projectors - the colour gamut. My laser projectors still completely smoke the colour range of any screen out there that isn't laser illuminated.

3d I find lacks in colour, so hopefully this can bring some of the gamut back.

Good news - at least new movies for purchase aren't $89 anymore. VHS's on release were that much, and it was rental time only to justify those costs. Now, $25 for a new blu is typical.

I would pay more for a better experience. Better seats, more room, better audio and visuals, etc.. $12 a head instead of $10. So, not much more.

The place I go to is $5 before noon or $6 from noon til 6. There is additional charge though for their epic showings and 3d.

Is it that hard to tell someone to shut the fuck up? I've only had to do that once, but a couple was talking behind my wife and I during the sneak previews, and not even whisper quiet either, first warning was a glance of me turning around and looking them in the eye, second warning was me turning around going "could you please be quiet, thanks"

Then you run the risk of having a 10-15 minute argument with them. In my experience that's normally what happens when you ask the assholes beside you to shut the fuck up.

P.S. I consider talking during the ads before the movies acceptable, all the ads including the trailers. In fact I actually now try to get to movies 10 or so minutes after the stated start time to miss the first 10 minutes of ads.

Then you run the risk of having a 10-15 minute argument with them. In my experience that's normally what happens when you ask the assholes beside you to shut the fuck up.
That could be a risk, however most people will tend to fold.. plus the first warning glance makes sure it's not some behemoth that could absolutely squash you :D

P.S. I consider talking during the ads before the movies acceptable, all the ads including the trailers. In fact I actually now try to get to movies 10 or so minutes after the stated start time to miss the first 10 minutes of ads.
See you call them "ads" I call them trailers, I want to sometimes see what new movies are coming out... granted with Youtube you get that at the same time movies do (usually).

If you have an Alamo Drafthouse nearby, it's worth it. Talkers and texters get kicked out without a refund.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

Lately, it seems that the theater I go to has been cranking up the volume to combat talkers. It's not quite loud enough to combat screaming children and it can't dim a cell phone screen. On the negative side, no movie is worth tinnitus.

If you have an Alamo Drafthouse nearby, it's worth it. Talkers and texters get kicked out without a refund.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

haha that was great, while I can say that I have never had an issue with a texter during the actual movie, it's amazing to see how some people think it's an ok thing to do so, plus it was great that she first used the excuse about how she was using her phone as a flashlight but then slipped into "I've texted in all the other theaters in Austin and didn't know I wasn't allowed to do so there"

“Dolby Shut Up,” a revolutionary feature that prevents people in the cinema from talking, eating, or checking their phones"

They just surge them lazers a bit.....problem solved...cleanup on isle 3

Back