Comcast Introduces World’s First Live DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Class Modem

HardOCP News

[H] News
Comcast announced yesterday that it has installed its first DOCSIS 3.1 modem in a home in the Philadelphia area. The press release goes on to say that the company is testing the technology in Pennsylvania, California and Atlanta as well.

At a home in the Philadelphia area, we took the next important step forward in delivering gigabit speed broadband over our hybrid fiber coaxial network. The test used the standard cable connections that we have in homes across the country. All we needed was a new modem, a software upgrade to the device that serves that neighborhood, and a few good engineers.

If my ISP ever implemented DOCSYS 3.1, we'd all still be restricted to 512kbits/sec upload, and the ISP would laugh.

If my ISP ever implemented DOCSYS 3.1, we'd all still be restricted to 512kbits/sec upload, and the ISP would laugh.

Right, cable networks are still restricted to comparatively slow uploads. I doubt the initial D3.1 deployment will come with much of an upload increase due to required plant upgrades.

So where did Comcast get the USED Gigabit modem to install? You know, like they try to do with normal installations.

mediacom has already had gigabit modems in some test areas for awhile, i believe they bond 32 channels downstream

opps forgot here a link to that info, this is back in september, so im not sure how comcast is claiming worlds first

There are no details on the modem. They're somehow beta testing someone's home connection with (probably) prototype equipment. I would guess the home belongs to a Comcast employee.

I, and a lot of other people, are waiting for DOCSIS 3.1 modems to hit the market to upgrade. I have an early DOCSIS 3.0 modem that someone else needs, for a slower connection. I won't come anywhere near 1Gb/sec, but headroom is nice. I can't wait to see how many modems cripple the connection with a single Gb ethernet port.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a 300GB Tootsie Roll Data Cap with a gigabit connection?

One, two, three.... !!! Three.

https://youtu.be/17CKHuYx51U?t=9

I dont know how your service provider does things, but the higher speed tiers threw mediacom come with increased datacaps, the ultra plus currently has 2TB and a optional 3TB, the Gigabit tiers in select markets has a 6TB datacap, is it not the same for other company's ? if your datacap is 300gb then your speeds must be pretty slow sub 50mb /sec

I dont know how your service provider does things, but the higher speed tiers threw mediacom come with increased datacaps, the ultra plus currently has 2TB and a optional 3TB, the Gigabit tiers in select markets has a 6TB datacap, is it not the same for other company's ? if your datacap is 300gb then your speeds must be pretty slow sub 50mb /sec

Comcast, the provider being discussed, has one cap in markets where they enforce the 300GB cap. Unless you are a business customer. Until recently, last two years, 50mbps was the std for Comcast in my market. Not sure if you are suggesting that cap is commensurate with that level of bandwidth.

Comcast, the provider being discussed, has one cap in markets where they enforce the 300GB cap. Unless you are a business customer. Until recently, last two years, 50mbps was the std for Comcast in my market. Not sure if you are suggesting that cap is commensurate with that level of bandwidth.

We have 80mbps as the "Blast" package, which is standard. We also have a 300GB cap we hit every single month and usually pay one or two $10 overage charges. This is a couple of game downloads a month plus a ton of Netflix and Amazon video. 300GB is a joke in 2015.

The last speed increase brought it to around 145mbs. I can download around 17MB/sec. They say I need to update my modem, but not worth it to get that last 5mbs or so. Its at the point where its fast enough.

opps forgot here a link to that info, this is back in september, so im not sure how comcast is claiming worlds first

Because Comcast is claiming the first DOCSIS 3.1 modem and Mediacom is using DOCSIS 3.0 modems according to your link?

Google fiber/att giga power or bust. Kick rocks comcast.
GigaPower is a pipe dream for the vast majority of U-verse customers. Outside of the Houston TX rollouts I haven't heard a single positive thing about their expansion. I'm one of the lucky U-verse customers with access to the 45 and 75 mbps tiers so I'm not entirely dissatisfied but I really don't see any indication over at DSLreports that my area (Cleveland) will ever see GigaPower despite being on the list.

When I was your age our internet was slow we used to have to put "56K no way" in all the thread titles.

You wipper snappers!

Google fiber/att giga power or bust. Kick rocks comcast.

AT&T is expensive in markets that don't have Google Fiber (i.e. Austin).
AT&T does deep packet inspection, unless you pay extra.
AT&T has a data cap of 1TB, which makes Gb fiber kinda pointless.

The Comcast data cap is 250GB, not 300GB. The cap isn't enforced in my area but I hit it without trying nowadays.

Pretty sure it's 300 in areas where it is enforced. Fear not, the caps are coming to you.

Back